Off on a trip - guitarless, or?

outdoorgb

• Members

Well, most know I'm a noob since last September. I practice/play 1.5 to

3 hours a day and have great teacher.

Work sends me out into the world with little notice...now I'm off to France, Trust me...these "go next week to insert country here trips are anything but glamorous or a vacation. My true desire is to not order calf brains for dinner some night:freak:

So, I'm thinking of getting a Washburn Rover to take with me. Money is not an issue and they seem to get better reviews than the Martin back packers.

Do these really fit into "todays" carry on and overhead bins? Anyone done it recently?

I may not do it and take a harmonica but...I'm sad and will miss my routine. Perhaps I'll get a chance to visit a shop in Paris or the other two cities I'll visit.

• Members

I started out with the same thought, but after playing several including the Washburn, the Martin backpacker, baby Taylor -> I bought a Little Martin. It is all high pressure laminate except bridge & fretboard, so it doesn't have as much temperature/humidity susceptibility and the finish wears like iron.

Overall a bit bigger, but has nice tone, good feel to the neck and is very solidly built. Not a full size guitar sound, but way more satisfying than a backpacker "banjo" sound. Gig bag style case that comes with it is very well made and very well paddes -- and fits overhead in most planes.

• Members

Well two of my friends are planning on a trip to Frence also, and they don't have very good budget and have been looking at the Martin LX1 Little martin acoustic guitar, they are said to be good choice for beginner or travel guitar. And they find some reviews for it online, and so a deal on it for $300. Maybe you can have a look at that.

• Members

I've tried the Martin Backpacker and didn't like it. I've not played the Washburn Rover but I've heard good things about them - it's certainly a better shape for playing and it will definitely fit into an overhead locker.

• Members

Stay Away from the Backpacker - they are really terrible. But the Little Martin is (IMO) the cream of the crop of travel guitars. Good sound, good playability, and intonation is great. I have both the Baby Taylor and the little Martin - The Martin is much better.

I also bought one of these years ago:

gui125.jpg

and it has a surprisingly good sound (better than a backpacker). The one I bought has "lotus" on the headstock. The only negative with this one is that it is awkward to hold in your lap. You really need a strap to play it.

• Members

I was in Paris for 3 weeks a month ago and no way was I going w/o a guitar !. I just popped my Yam FG730 in its case in the hold after loosening off the string tension. Its a bit more to carry but its worth it :). If you get the chance travel on the Metro - and look out for some of the guitarists who play down there. I watched a few amazing players !. Enjoy it - its an amazing city :)

• Members

Have you ever thought about trying another instrument? Maybe a mandolin??? They're small, they can be inexpensive, easy to carry and store and alot of fun!

Plus, many of the guitar skills you've developed will carry over.

Just a thought........

• Members

Mando sounds like a great idea.

I had a Rover for a while. Plays OK, sounds like a banjo, but it works.

I got tired of lugging it around after a while. TSA nearly confiscated my truss rod allen wrench. "No tools." :rolleyes:

Travel is hassle enough without bringing an extra bag.

• Members

My son flew back to Oregon from Tampa last year, sporting a classical Yiari I gave him. The case really wasn't that big, but they wouldn't let him take it on board. He had to check it in....luckily, the case was really a good one, was made for it, and fit like a glove....no damage done.

Just a thought.

• Members

I would suggest a parlor guitar like the Art & Lutherie Ami. They usually sell with a nice fitting gigbag and I am sure it would fit in an overhead compartment. Even the Yamaha FG-JR is a good alternative. Just a thought. I find these little Rovers to be hard to play sitting down...:(

• Members

Check out go-guitars (http://www.go-guitars.com/guitars.html). I have two, and they have traveled with me since 2000. These guitars are built in the US, have a bone nut and saddle, and sound (and play) a heck of a lot better than the Backpacker. You can also choose what woods you want - I have one with ebony fretboard and bridge and figured walnut B&S:

Go1.jpg

• Members

Just returned from and 8 day trip the the west coast. I was paranoid about flying on the airlines with my guitar, so I decided to buy a cheapie when I got there and leave it there with my sister for when I go back and forth (which I do regularly).

Long story short I wound up with an Epi Masterbilt that I liked so much I decided to bring home anyway. I had my return ticket on Continental Airlines, which I normally don't fly because I don't like how they cram in the seats. So I called the airline to ask if I could gate check my guitar. They told me I could, so that was the deal breaker and the Epi was coming home. When I got to the gate I asked if the flight was full and was told that it was, so I showed them my guitar case and asked if I'd have to gate check. They said wait and see and when the flight was called I just wakled onto the airplane with my guitar and put it in the overhead bin over my seat. This was a dreadnought size hardshell case and it fit up there just fine. My seat was 4 hours of pure torture, but I was safe in the knowledge that my guitar would be fine.

If my dread fit in the overhead your little Rover should be just fine.:thu:

• Members

I never had an issue with the size of the Rover case.

It's longer than the standard box they have, but it's a lot smaller in the other two dimensions. It'd probably even fit overhead on a commuter jet. Even if it didn't, you could gate check it.

• Members

My seat was 4 hours of pure torture,

Continental is the worst, in my experience. They actually made us sit in the plane on the tarmac at Kennedy till they filled every seat with last minute ticket purchasers! Then when we got back to LA it was pouring rain. When we got our bags, about two hours later, they were soaked along with everything in them. They had left a whole wagon of baggage sitting out in the open in the deluge. Never again!

But I digress with my rant. :)

• Members

The guitar-on-plane thing is dicey, and apparently inconsistent. I flew last week, and spotted a guy walking around in O'Hare with a guitar in a gigbag. He told me he carried it on, no problem--it either fits in an overhead or they stash it somewhere for him on board--maybe where they hang suitbags. Looked like a full-sized dread. Neglected to ask him which airline he was flying.

But then I called about carrying on something that size, for a flight next week, and the airline (Sun Country) said it's too big. Their carry-on limit is 48" total (length+width+height). So I'm going to find a good case I guess. I'm assuming a hard case is better than a padded gig bag, for a checked guitar.

• Members

I wouldn't check a guitar through airline baggage if I could at all avoid it.

If I had to check one through I'd make sure that I had it in at least a molded hardshell case. A chipboard case won't cut it, and a gig bag? Never!

• Members

Here's a Uke on steriods!

Jake Shimabukuro is a great musician, and he's a really nice guy. I have four of his CDs and a DVD of his. I also was thinking about suggesting a ukulele rather than guitar. You can get a Lanikai baritone for $99 and the setup on those, from the factory, is really great.

My most recent album was seven tracks with ukulele, five tracks with guitar. It's called Blue Waters.

Jake is simply amazing. He's on the Sony label.

• Members

+1 on the go guitars. just got my walnut grande and right out of the box it sounds very good. louder than i ever expected with very good balance and none of the screechy twanginess of all of the other traveler gits i played. good luck on your search but I got mine.

Archived