Guitar practice area

fmw

• Members

My wife got after me today to clean up the rat's nest of cables on the floor of my guitar practice area. I complied and even made an image of the practice area which I've posted below. Just curious if anyone else has pictures of where they practice. It would be fun to see it and comment on it.

guitarpractice.jpg

• Members

My wife got after me today to clean up the rat's nest of cables on the floor of my guitar practice area. I complied and even made an image of the practice area which I've posted below. Just curious if anyone else has pictures of where they practice. It would be fun to see it and comment on it.

guitarpractice.jpg

(Sorry for the brief hijack)

Nice setup, fmw. I really like the cabinet you have your equipment mounted in. What is it and where'd you get it?

• Members

Nice setup, fmw. I really like the cabinet you have your equipment mounted in. What is it and where'd you get it?

I don't know what it is except that it is a slanted wood rack cabinet with casters. I bought it about 10 years ago from Sweetwater. I didn't see the same thing on their web site today when I looked so it might not be available any longer. Raxxess has some slant cabinets and you might find something suitable in their line.

I like the unit I have because it puts everything within easy reach from my folding throne. You can put a mixer or recorder or speaker or whatever on the top surface. It is double sided so that you can mount equipment on the opposite side as well if you want. I don't do that. I leave the back open and use the back to bear against a hand truck when I need to move it somewhere.

• Members

The brand, as it turns out is Middle Atlantic Products. Their web site doesn't show the model so I assume it is discontinued. This, however, should be comparable. It is from the same manufacturer.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/210MRack/

• Members

Mine is a desk chair, a music stand and a foot stool in the guest bedroom. My guitar case and music are usually spread out over the bed. My amp and electric stuff are typically stored away since there's not enough room to keep them out...which is why I rarely play anything but acoustic. Not complaining, though. :thu:

• Members

Here's one end of the room... Old pic, traded the Tele
:)
16416204784.jpg

Really nice drum set. I was a drummer back in the 1960's. I played with some recording rock groups, dixieland jazz groups, progressive jazz groups, country and western groups. You name it. My set was Gretsch in champagne sparkle. I wish i I had the stuff today. I've been tempted to buy a digital set but not overly so.

• Members

If i clean it up, I won't be able to find anything.

Mydomain.jpg

You're a man after my own heart. I can't survive around electronics gear without a flashlight. I see you're well prepared. ;)

• Members

I like the bottle of motor oil, lol.

Also the three desktop towers are pretty cool, you know you can recycle those right
:D

O and cool powermac G3!

I recycle. I'm constantly upgrading my main computer. I throw the old parts in a box. About every six months, I have enough parts to build another computer. One is a XP, one is a Debian, one is a Fedora. They all seem to have their uses.

That's a G4 with Tiger. It runs pretty good on motor oil.

• Members

My Little Corner...

Actually it's plenty of room in the corner of our living room. Nice view out a picture window, couple of three amps, too many guitars, a piano (Wife and Daughter).

Always a guitar at hand. Works for now...

IMG_1746.jpg

• Members

I run along the same lines as kwak. Wait for everyone to clear out before i can hit the strings. Not so much for the room as the quietness. I'm thinking that there has to be a better way. Maybe instead of another guitar the next investment should be in a nice practice area away from the chaos of kids, wife, dogs, telephone, etc...

• Members

Really nice drum set. I was a drummer back in the 1960's. I played with some recording rock groups, dixieland jazz groups, progressive jazz groups, country and western groups. You name it. My set was Gretsch in champagne sparkle. I wish i I had the stuff today. I've been tempted to buy a digital set but not overly so.

Those are my daughters. Nobody really plays em except when guests have too many beers they can be fun! :p

• Members

I'm a sitter...afraid if I stand, I'll reallize my great talent then start smashing my guitars like Townshend.

So, for those of you who sit while you play, any recommendations on a chair?

Walmart has a neat little metal folding stool for about $18 that works great. That's what I've got in my practice area.

I've seen versions of that stool with a built in guitar stand for considerably more money.

• Members

I'm a sitter...afraid if I stand, I'll reallize my great talent then start smashing my guitars like Townshend.

So, for those of you who sit while you play, any recommendations on a chair?

I'm a sitter, too. I use a small folding chair with a padded seat and back-rest which keeps me reasonably upright - it's easy to start bending forward over the guitar if you use a stool or "easy" type chair. It folds flat so also easy to stick in the boot of the car.

Archived