VOM 6 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"I Still can't Say Goodbye" It's by R. Binn and J. Moore and originally performed by Chet Atkins, BTW, for those of you who have never heard it before. This is my version, warts and all. RT1

Great song, I first heard it done by the Chet Atkins disciple, Tommy Emmanuel. I have to fight the tears back every time I hear it.

Thanks for your version which is absolutely great.

• Members

Here's mine. It's for my dad. It's called "I Still can't Say Goodbye"

It's by R. Binn and J. Moore and originally performed by Chet Atkins, BTW, for those of you who have never heard it before. This is my version, warts and all.

RT1

Great job!

That song chokes me up every time I hear it - and I didn't even know my dad.

• Members

No particular reason for this one, I just like the song and came up with this bad Tom Waits version. "Secret Agent Man", by Johnny Rivers.

Sorry about the vocal-heavy mix, sorry again about the vocals. This really was first take.

I've never heard Tom Waits' version so there's really nothing for me to compare it to, but FWIW I love your rendition of it. I liked the mix too - but again it's on a laptop speaker and when it comes to songs with vox I believe that the instrument should naturally take a back seat.

• Members

kwakatak:
Wow! You were worried about posting that tune to share?!? I wouldn't hesitate to post something like that. Well played! And, congrats to your friend Dirk!

Thanks guys,

I still think it needs some fleshing out but like with Fussenkuh's stuff it gives me a vibe that I could play over and over. I'm hesitant to show it to my friend since he's got 10 years of gigging under his belt but one day I'd love to jam with him to it. I'm sure he'd be able to fill in the holes with some tasty licks of his own.

• Members
Here's mine. It's for my dad. It's called "I Still can't Say Goodbye"

http://media.putfile.com/Just-Cant-Say-Goodbye

It's by R. Binn and J. Moore and originally performed by Chet Atkins, BTW, for those of you who have never heard it before. This is my version, warts and all.

RT1

RT1 - that was a simply eautiful rendition of that song. I've heard Tommy Emmanuel perform it live several times, and it always brings a tear to my eye as my Dad is now deceased. At any rate, your recording conjures up those powerful emotions too - nicely done!

To all others - you are all so talented in your own unique way. I've enjoyed listening to your recordings - thanks for sharing them!

:thu:

• Members

I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
I've written pages, upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones.

I had never heard this song before, then one of my friends had posted those lyrics and it made me go and listen.

This is my version of "The Engine Driver" by The Decemberists.

Please check it out on Google Video here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5371089675457335393&hl=en

I'd love to hear what you think!

• Members
question for a first timer here.

can we play anything just as long as its acoustic? And can it be instrumental due to i cant sing.

Acoustic? hmm, I know of no rule that demands acoustic, but this is an acoustic guitar forum ;) - Yes instrumental is fine.

• Members

OK, trying to be a little more upbeat than my last entry, and ignoring
anything resembling a theme -- Here's my take on "Kansas City" (Eric Leiber
and Mike Stoller) ... I include a modified version of a verse from Lyle
Lovett's "Been so good up to now" as something of a bridge, then finish
with a made up verse:

http://www.siaris.net/music/kc_blues.mp3

As usual, just me and my Larrivee sitting on the couch with the H2 on
the coffee table.

cheers,
andrew

• Members

Here's one I've been working on for a couple of weeks now, and recorded this afternoon.

Nitpickin' by Mike Dowling, incorporates two-against-three syncopation in the right hand, because the 1/8 note melody is grouped in threes against the 1/4 note bass line.

I have to keep reminding myself not to rush.

• Members

Here's the note from C70man and his set for VOM #6. I have not yet listened, wanting to keep it all in the context.
I've taken the liberty to use a hyperlink to the song.

(Dak,

Thanks for posting this for me....

It's a Steve Goodman tune called Vegematic. Fiinger style (no Pic) on
Guild GF-25, Nano 11ga strings, standard tuning.

I was kinda in a hurry on this one, cause I'm out the door in a few
hours to catch a plane.

Again,
Thanks,
John)

• Members

fussenkuh- nice minor vibe. be a good soundtrack for a Western a la Butch Cassidy.

Kwak- nice work, Neil. It is at once smooth; with a good chop.I am reminded of Earl Klugh.

g6120- Great production, Gil. you're becoming the master around here.

mrmoe- I really like your guitar playing on this tune, man.

riffmeister- I think that your playing is superb. Great phrasing and a lovely arrangment.

recordingtrack1- evocative and warmly sentimental without being sappy. a tough line to walk and you did it.

Scodiddly- secret agent man. Now that was just cool!

happy-man- pretty song and well-played.

bransonb- good ramblin' song for hitting the highway and not looking back.

SkySeven- well done. I like the Decemberists and you did this justice; for sure.

jandrew- Kansas City. OK. Bluesy and gritty. thumbs up.

stackabones- Chris, that's some good playing. you build some tension with the dissonance and then a lovely resolve. Dig!

C70man- Vegematic. pretty cool. I need to get more familiar with Steve Goodman.

• Members

It was Soldiers who gave us our independance... so... this is a song I wrote back in my Soldiering days.

It's titled... "I Am A Soldier".

For some reason I'm a little pitchy today, but I did not want to do more than one take so...

I Am A Soldier

Hope you all like it.

Soldiers are a big part of the reason why we are able to do things like this VOM, and I salute them...:)

• Members

It was a rather rainy day today so i came up with this little song. Im not a very good structural songwriter as i mostly solo and what not. Some of the chord changes are rather odd but it sounded good so i kept with it. Lots of open chords. Also this is my first VOM post here.

Let me know what you guys think. Pointers are appreciated to!:thu:

Its called Relax And Realize (i know i suck at naming songs).

[YOUTUBE]S0gGkxMGiwE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been listening and enjoying everyone's stuff SO MUCH! I got home from church and have spent the last couple of hours going through. Most I've listened to a couple of times.

I have decided to stop half way and make some comments and will pick back up after this to review the next bunch. Man! there are some good pickers on this forum. Okay, here goes: (I had to write it down):)

Fussenkuh Great progression and I really like your riffs. It flows smoothly and works well. I was very pleased.

Kwakatak One of the things that always stands out about your playing is your originality. GEM is no exception. I really got it and you have put together a "cool" vibe that I hope to hear in a completed form soon. I have always admired your talent. Great Job!

g1620 Q-How cool is your take on this song? A-Cool, Very Cool!!! You have once again put together a very entertaining and unique approach to what I would consider a really hard song to pull off. You did a great job on a piece that I have always liked.

mrmoe Great vocals on top of crisp, sharp, well-fined, highly stylized guitar playing. You are good, man! I liked this song. I listened to it a couple of times and will likely do it again a couple of times today.

riffmeister You are what this is all about, bro. I am in awe of your playing and don't know if I have the words to describe this. Excellent, top-notch. I played this piece several times and I am going to save it to my computer.

Scodiddly I love your version of this song. You have the perfect voice for it. Very entertaining work. Thumbs up.

happy-man First of all...homemade mic? I wish my mic sounded that good. It must be one of those ribbon mics I have heard about. Now, great song, great voice. Very touching and heartfelt. A true praise and worship song and you did an excellent job on it.

Okay, Now back to the fun part...listening! What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I'll put some more comments down later today. You guys know who you are and I'm looking forward to hearing your stuff.

RT1

• Members

I have not had a chance to have a listen yet, other than C70man's very nice rendition of Vegematic.

This is a tune I got several years ago from an on line friend from KC, Anita Kronk. I took Anita's words and put a completely different melody to the song so....

....my kingdom for a voice like that!......

Archived