VOM 6 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

I have not had a chance to have a listen yet, other than C70man's very nice rendition of Vegematic.

This is a tune I got several years ago from an on line friend from KC, Anita Kronk. I took Anita's words and put a completely different melody to the song so....

Great song Dak! Enjoyed that a lot. How did you get that drumbeat sound? Were you hitting the guitar?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
It was Soldiers who gave us our independance... so... this is a song I wrote back in my Soldiering days.

It's titled... "I Am A Soldier".

For some reason I'm a little pitchy today, but I did not want to do more than one take so...

I Am A Soldier

Hope you all like it.

Soldiers are a big part of the reason why we are able to do things like this VOM, and I salute them...
:)

BOB,
That was beutiful and not a bit of pitchiness was detected! Relax and stop trying to be a perfectionist and don't be so down on yourself! Let it flow because you got the feeling and are a great performer!

• Members

Well if there was a best of VOM this would be it! This is incredible and I left a comment and rating for you a couple of days agao and am just now working my way thru finishing my comments!

• Members

I like to listen to you all though I rarely participate (I'm not an advanced player like people here are so I'm shy!) Tonight, however, I decided to try something.

I used my Boss Loop Station RC-2 to record the rythmn part with my acoustic (S&P Songsmith Folk connected into my little Vox DA-5) then I recorded over the loop with my Telecaster (I'm also using my Tonebone Trimode overdrive pedal).

I then connected my Boss Loop Station + my Vox DA-5 into my mixer, hit the pedal to play the resulting loop and recorded it with Cool Edit Pro.

So, I don't know if we can call it one shot but I made only one take with each guitar and the loop plays only one time.

It finally is a short audio demo of what to do with the RC-2!

Link:Cocaine by Clapton...

Sorry, it says File Not Found

• Members
I was planning on another Decemberists cover, but since someone has already done one for this VOM I changed plans.
:D

I present a sappy favorite of mine,
"Real Love"
, a song unfinished by
John Lennon
(part of an unfinished stage play that Lennon was working on at the time entitled "The Ballad of John and Yoko"), then later reworked and released after John's death by the remaining three Beatles.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=820559&songID=6716967

Very nice!! I always liked the solo vesrion of this song better. Your vocal needed to be more forward but other than that great rendition!!

• Members
Hey you did a great job singing that! There were some difficult vocal parts in there but you pulled it off very well! The playing could be a little more flowing in terms of the chord changes but overall great job!

Thanks :) I've always been a better singer than guitarist.:thu:

• Members

Late as usual, sorry. Here is a short acoustic version of "Run" by Snow Patrol. Lyrics by Gary Lightbody, music by all the group. A bit different for me - I have to go into falsetto to reach some of the high bits.

Last but not least garthman!

Snow Patrol is a great band and you did a great cover of this song!

I like the chord progression and the falsetto sounded great!

• Members

Great song Dak! Enjoyed that a lot. How did you get that drumbeat sound? Were you hitting the guitar?

Thanks Gil.

That's a porch board bass. I use it fairly often and as I get better with it I use it more.

IMAG006.JPG

By the way, I'm about half way through redoing my comments. It's been busy time for me and I have not had a chance to do anything with the main computer so....

I will say this is one of the better VOMs so far.

• Members

Last but not least garthman!

Snow Patrol is a great band and you did a great cover of this song!

I like the chord progression and the falsetto sounded great!

Thank you, Gil. I like to experiment with different styles and often do acoustic covers of "electric" songs.

But maybe a return to some of my more usual stuff for the next VOM. I hear Dylan calling . . .

• Members

Well, finally got caught up with {censored} to do, so here's my thanks for all the great work...in no particular order:

Garthman...What a great choice of song...loved your version of it.

Totamus....My foots still stomping! Great harmonizing...looks like you got a keeper there!

FrankieJ.....Odd or not, those chords work really well. I like how you didn't overpower them and used melody notes so effectively. Good job.

Bobc.....Your passion really comes out with your music.

Pschaafs.....Wow! Taj.....I damn near forgot about them...great job!

Daklander...I love doing songs with other peoples lyrics and melodies. That was a great song for you, it really defines your style.

Jandrew....Love that bridge...with your permission, I'll steal it.

Stakabones....A wonderful song to listen to. Borderline 'leven!!!!

Quuegueg....Wow, talk about a lot going on there....excellent effort!

Riffmeister...Beautifully done...made me pull out the "Cocker" album afterwords. That guitar records great.

Recordingtrack1....a truly wonderful song, love the lyrics. Excellent job.

Scodiddly....Bringing back memories there...never heard the Wait version until now! Great job.

HappyMan....That Taylor of yours really surprised me...sounds great...oh, and you get some credit too.

Bransonb.....Love the story telling style, not an easy thing to do, really enjoyed it.

SKySeven....Nice vocals, and a cool song. I need to check out more of Decemberists stuff.

Verence.....Hey dude, we need to hear more of your voice...its really nice. Love Lennons stuff, chords to die for.

Misha....Sorry, couldn't bring up your song....???

Mikeo....great tune, you should try some John Prine stuff with your voice.

Fussenkuh...Love the Spanish flavored music. Its in my Basque blood...And that Masterbilt sounds great. Excellent job.

Kwakatac....nothing to say except that I really liked it. Reminds me of a George Benson tune I cant place.

Gil.....Love the song choice, but try not to make the recordings so complex...too many layers hides your raw talent.

MrMoe....A "tree" with its own song....pretty cool idea.....you made it proud enough to bark.

• Members
Verence.....Hey dude, we need to hear more of your voice...its really nice. Love Lennons stuff, chords to die for.

Thanks!

I had trouble with mic placement. Getting guitar and vocals balanced, volume-wise.

I've actually improved my voice noticably in the last couple days. I was given some pointers by someone who knows what they're talking about, and it really helped. It's a lot easier to raise the volume of my voice now.

So in the next VOM the volume of my vocals should (hopefully) be a lot better (and louder). :thu:

Archived