VOM 6 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Woo Hoo! another VOM is upon us :love: I can't wait to hear everyone's submissions this time around.

As for myself, I've decided to contribute another original tune this month simply called "Spanish Influences". It was recorded a couple weeks ago and, in all reality, I doubt this would be considered any form of real Spanish guitar playing. But, regardless of whether it is or not, when I play it, that's what I'm reminded of... and, since it's mine, I get to name it ;)

I recorded the rhythm then tracked the solo over it... each in one take using my trusty Masterbilt AJ-500M, a cheap webcam and free 10+ year old Gateway PC mic.
[YOUTUBE]UvYIMLzCP1c[/YOUTUBE]

Hope someone enjoys it! I know I enjoyed creating it :)
- Chris

Oh, and thanks Stack for hosting this 6th VOM :thu:

• Members

http://media.putfile.com/GEM1

It's not finished or polished but here it is. It's a work in progress I call "Green Eyed Monster" where I try to get a little jazzy. Unfortunately being a "jazz" piece it's not too structured - and I wish I could say that I did it deliberately.

BTW, the inspiration comes from my old friend Dirk who is a Philly-area jazz musician who just got signed. Kudos to him.

• Members
Woo Hoo! another VOM is upon us
:love:
I can't wait to hear everyone's submissions this time around.

As for myself, I've decided to contribute another original tune this month simply called "Spanish Influences". It was recorded a couple weeks ago and, in all reality, I doubt this would be considered any form of real Spanish guitar playing. But, regardless of whether it is or not, when I play it, that's what I'm reminded of... and, since it's mine, I get to name it
;)

Hope someone enjoys it! I know I enjoyed creating it
:)
- Chris

Oh, and thanks Stack for hosting this 6th VOM
:thu:

What a great way to open VOM 6! That was beautiful and I really liked your lead playing on that! It had a Neil Young feel to it and as you know he's my hero!

• Members

It's not finished or polished but here it is. It's a work in progress I call "Green Eyed Monster" where I try to get a little jazzy. Unfortunately being a "jazz" piece it's not too structured - and I wish I could say that I did it deliberately.

BTW, the inspiration comes from my old friend Dirk who is a Philly-area jazz musician who just got signed. Kudos to him.

Sweeeeet! I thoroughly enjoyed every second of that! Thank You! clapclapclap!!

• Members

Well you can't get any more one take than this because I decided to learn this song as I was recording (what you can't see is the chord/lyric sheet out of camera range and good thing I knew the feel of the song because I only had to glance at it ocassionally!) I had many flase starts and stayed up for hours trying to get one good take and when I did I quit. I was spent...exhausted after this. I later added the background vocals (4 layers overdubbed and lemme tell you I almost ran out of breath on those!).
Haven't played the song since! Vocal and playing are rough but I'm OK with that because I just learned it.

Here's some info about 10cc and the song:

10cc were always bound to make it. All members were 60s veterans, with Graham Gouldman already having written a string of hits for bands as diverse as the Yardbirds and Herman's Hermits.
1975's album The Original Soundtrack broke the mould - it contained "I'm Not In Love". A gorgeously crafted arrangement that floated beneath the mock cynicism of the lyrics. Multi-layered backing vocals gave the whole thing an other-worldly quality that was only compounded by the extraordinary middle eight with its whispered "big boys don't cry" motif. It became a #1 that appealed both to the fans that wanted grown up pop and to people who wanted a slow dance at the end of the disco.

[YOUTUBE]2Gykenkx6Z8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

This song is called "flowering crab:.....it gets its name from a tree planted beside the 4th tee at the amherst golf club.....

What a great song! Your stuff is always amazing! The only nitpick I have is that I felt the vocal needed to come froward in the mix but otherwise simply incredible!! Do you have a CD available?

• Members

You nailed the jazz vibe with the bass/melody construction. Nice work!

• Members
I've decided to contribute another original tune this month simply called "Spanish Influences". It was recorded a couple weeks ago and, in all reality, I doubt this would be considered any form of real Spanish guitar playing. But, regardless of whether it is or not, when I play it, that's what I'm reminded of... and, since it's mine, I get to name it
;)

Definitely has a Spanish feel to it. Try a little flamenco-type strum to spice it up even more!

• Members

Well you can't get any more one take than this because I decided to learn this song as I was recording (what you can't see is the chord/lyric sheet out of camera range and good thing I knew the feel of the song because I only had to glance at it ocassionally!)

This old guy knows that song very well......great job with it, Gil!

• Members

Rich Mullins song I learned last week. I was actually just doing a sound check, and hadn't decided if I was going to capo it or not, but I went through the whole song. So even though there are foibles, in the spirit of VOM1T, here it is. Taylor 110 with homemade mic into laptop mic input.

http://www.pkfamily.com/users/solson/foo/holdmejesusVOM1T.mp3

Scott O

• Members

Already a great turnout for not even being 10am (Eastern) yet :eek:

kwakatak: Wow! You were worried about posting that tune to share?!? I wouldn't hesitate to post something like that. Well played! And, congrats to your friend Dirk!

g6120: Great job :thu: Your entry is a perfect example as to why I love these VOMs. I always get exposed to some great songs/artists that I've never heard of before.

mrmoe: Great stuff as usual! I'm always impressed/inspired by the clean and crisp sound of your playing.

riffmeister: I love your rendition of this tune :cool: I wish I could fingerpick like that!

recordingtrack1: That's a very nice tribute to your dad. Thanks for sharing. It sounds great.

Scodiddly: That's a nice rendition of a cool song you have there. In my opinion, there's no reason to be apologizing for those vocals.

happy-man: Very soulful tune and very well played. I don't think my ears heard any of those "foibles" you mentioned ;)

• Members
This song is called "flowering crab:.....it gets its name from a tree planted beside the 4th tee at the amherst golf club.....

http://media.putfile.com/flowering-crab

I'm constantly amazed at the high quality of your originals. I'm envious of your musicianship and the lyrics. FWIW your vocals cut right through on my laptop's tinny, semi-blown speaker (damn you Dell, you said you fixed it! :mad: )

Archived