What would you do?

Guitarplay

• Members

Whats up gentlemen, I just joined the forums and need your advice. I am looking to purchase an acoustic electric, $300-$800 range. I want something that sounds good both plugged and unplugged, not something you can barely hear without amp. Should I only consider dreds, or are there smaller bodies guitars that project reasonably well, enough for a campfire setting, for example. I also want it to be reliable and relatively low maintenance. Not going to spend money on new electronics etc.

So far I have considered Epiphone Masterbilt, Takamine EG531SSC, ALVAREZ PD80SC, and the Ibanez AEF30E. I like the black gloss finish, gold tuners, and abalone inlays on the AEF30E. Anyone played these guitars or can recommend others I should check out? Not sure if I want to buy used but open to the idea. check out the links below if you can and tell me if you think you see a deal.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/847329916.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/849516151.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/850023451.html

• Members

Welcome to my world. I'm relatively new to this site, too and just last night finalized the purchase of a used Larrivee OM-03R (it's on the way). I spent a lot of time checking out local shops to get an idea of what felt good to me and what was available in my price range even before I was ready to buy anything. One thing I learned was that I was not comfortable with a dreadnought sized guitar or an overly wide neck and I preferred the look of a natural finish rather than a sunburst. That helped to refine my search as did reading a lot of what's posted here and on manufacturers' web sites to get to know which models were which. Even if you restrict yourself to a certain size, I think you'll find there are a ton of very nice guitars in the $300-$800 range. Even more if you consider a used guitar. Initially, I was all about buying a new guitar but realized I could afford more guitar if I bought used and if I decided I didn't like it after awhile, I'd have a better chance of recovering more of my money should I ever want or need to sell it. What I ended up buying is just a few months old, looks new, comes highly recommended and I got it for considerably less than an identical new one.

I hope that helps some.

Ray

• Members

What size guitar is comfortable to you? Take that into consideration first. If it doesn't 'fit' you, you won't play it. I'm not sure what kind of tone comes out of a maple acoustic. Great for an electric. Taks have a great plugged in sound. I have a EG360sc and unplugged it sounds pretty good too.

Welcome to HCAG.

• Members
-Hey Raymond55!! I'm glad you bought the Larrivee!!!
:thu:

When are you gonna get it???
:cool:

It's on it's way from California and due to arrive next Wednesday. I think they're bringing it on a bicycle. LOL

I'm still lusting after that Simon & Patrick, but couldn't make that deal happen. Funny thing about the Larrivee is that not only did I buy it sight unseen, but sound unheard. ;) We don't have a Larrivee dealer within 150 miles! Structurally, it's almost the same as the Showcase Folk with an even better reputation, including your certified recommendation, Misha. :thu:

If it's as clean as the pictures indicate, I think I'll be very happy with it. As I mentioned above, if I really don't like it (not meaning to cast any bad juju on the guitar), at the price of the new Larrivee models and given the price I paid, I should be able to sell it again without taking a bath. I'm glad I was able to buy a Canadian guitar. I don't have anything specific against Asian imports and it's not a political bias, but somehow I feel better knowing my guitar was made on this continent.

Ray

• Members

Seagull S6 ceder top.
Martin add the pickup later
Taylor Big Baby, great for straight acoustic
Takamine

It is really what you want, but I have some higher end acoustic and I love my Seagull when I am just playing without power. They leave it a little rough around the edges as far as finishing, but I love the tone of the guitar.

You have to find the body style you like. My Seagull is the only Dread I have. the rest of my guitars are Auditorium cutaway body styles. good luck

• Members

Two people have already beat me to suggesting them but I'll throw my two cents in for seagulls. I absolutely adore my S6 accoustic; it was my first guitar and I always go back to it. Seagull's quality is fantastic, especially considering the price range and I've have heard great things about their acoustic-electrics. I was going to suggest the S6 like souldonor, but Misha suggested the mini-jumbo so if you're looking for different bodies, you've got your options. Happy buying.

• Members

that Seagull mini jumbo like the one Misha just ordered is a wonderful guitar, I know [congratulations, Misha!]

there are a couple of Larrivee OM03Rs like the one Raymond55 just ordered [with and w/o electronics] for $800 & $675, respectively, on the Larrivee Forum For Sale site.

those are great guitars, for sure.

have to say I prefer these to the three craigslist guitars you linked, but you mentioned the Masterbuilt, and that would be a good choice, too.

• Members

wow, I had no idea the turnaround was so fast on this site. I was expecting one or two answers, but this is awesome. I have to agree with what BSman said about just trying to play as many guitars as I can and not take shortcuts. I will definitely look into everything you guys suggested and keep you updated as my search continues if I have anymore questions. Thanks

• Members

I would go with the Masterbilt from your list.
But thats from your list.....I wouldn't go for bling. I would go for sound, playability and utility. This is not a guitar to buy for its looks. You said you want it to sound good, amplify well and low maintenance.

Personally, I would get an inexpensive Yamaha and mount a pickup. It will be plenty loud, sound good and be pretty rugged for that campfire.

Though I like the Masterbilt, its not as solid as a Yamaha. I don't think it will take the campfire abuse you suggest. They are great sounding, but need a little more care. The lighter bracing and the finish is more susceptible to damage.

Another option is a used American Made Guild. They are built like tanks, sound great and maintain their value. They are an overkill for a campfire, but give you a lot more sound for the money. They can be found for $500-700. A D25 would be an excellent choice (but harder to find). Ebay has quite a few on sale, but mostly their Chinese built Gads....which, are still a very nice guitar......example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-GAD-50_W0QQitemZ140269917326QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140269917326&_trkparms=72%3A1222%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Archived