VOM 8 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Sept 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is what I recorded this past Thursday night at the open mic that I have been attending for two and a half years. I have never gotten up to sing until this night and this is the first song I ever sang in front of people.

I was scaired to death but still managed to get through it without sounding too bad.

I am playing rythum and singing lead and my friend Randall is adding guitar licks and harmonizing on the chorus.

The best part is... a pretty girl hugged me after we where done the set...:)

Lovers In A Dangerous Time

This could be the start of my dream of singing/playing for people...:)

Edit:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this song was written by Bruce Cockburn. It was also covered by Barenaked Ladies and Dan Folgelberg.

• Members

Posting for C70man

Here it is right off the presses....well the H4.

I am capoing on the 2nd fret. Easier for me to sing.

Standard tuning, Guild GF25. H4 external mic.

The Dutchman written by Michael Smith, popularized by Steve Goodman.

Steve passed on September 20th and every September around this time I can't help but think of his music and life and his effect on mine.

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/745e12687071/audio.html

• Members

Hey everyone! I'm pleased to be part of another VOM... and, hopefully, people will be pleased with my humble contribution ;) I know I'm looking forward to seeing all of yours!

For this month, I chose to cover another one of my favorite Tesla songs. Simply titled Love Song, my VOM rendition is based off of the Five Man Acoustical Jam version of the song... all-be-it simplified for my playing ability. The song was recorded using Audacity on my Masterbilt AJ-500M in one take (mistakes and all) with the two layers of solo overdubbed in a 2nd and 3rd take. The video was then (mostly) synced to the video. Unfortunately, the YouTube transcoding appears to have slightly botched the sync :arg:

[YOUTUBE]Mt5fy5PSYek[/YOUTUBE]

For anyone just looking for audio, click here. Thanks for watching (or listening)!

• Members

bobc: Great work! Congrats on getting out and singing :thu: That's something I've never had the guts to try but I'd say you pulled it of quite nicely.

C70Man: Yeah, that mics on ;) Once again, I love the little stories you throw in to introduce your songs. I'm not familiar with the song, but I'd say you did one heck of a good job figuring out the song without any tabs or sheet music to help you out. Well played!

oldnewbie: Welcome to the VOM! That's a very nice song you have there. I really enjoyed your style of guitar playing. Thanks for sharing some of your own material.

OldGuitarPlayer: OGP, I absolute love your voice in this song! Straightforward chords + great lyrics = one heck of a cool tune :thu:

• Members

Recorded this Friday night at an open mic with the H4. It's amazing what you hear in the playback later: I didn't think so at the time but it sounds like I'm being heckled at the beginning; you'll hear a part where I tap the pickguard with a knocking sort of sound, and then right on queue the door squeaks open; and the espresso machine sounds like steam being released from a steam engine. Well, it is a train song after all. An original called Some Damn Old Train Song.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6890119

• Members

Last Night I captured something truly special on video. My little 3 year old boy was playing around with his keyboard which has pre-programmed songs he can play to. Well suddenly the program turned off and he said "hey what's happening" then he raised his arms up and I captured his very first musical improvisation on video. I don't play piano so this surprised me. I mixed him in with my cover of I Am A Child and it actually works!! Priceless moment captured!

And truly a one take (including my cover):

[YOUTUBE]d9_LwqIs37Q[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

C70man

very nicely done. nice mellow vibe.

FussenKuh

Sweet. Great lead too.

oldnewbie

Very nice original and welcome t the VOM. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Garhman

Good job on this one. Never heard this song before, but vey nicely done.

mrmoe

Great job on this one. realy nice guitar and vocal work.

Cripes

Great song. I realy enjoyed that.

bransonb

Cool. I thought a train was comming...:) Very nice job.

g6120

That was awesome. Your kid is great too...:)

• Members

This is what I recorded this past Thursday night at the open mic that I have been attending for two and a half years. I have never gotten up to sing until this night and this is the first song I ever sang in front of people.

I was scaired to death but still managed to get through it without sounding too bad.

I am playing rythum and singing lead and my friend Randall is adding guitar licks and harmonizing on the chorus.

The best part is... a pretty girl hugged me after we where done the set...
:)

Lovers In A Dangerous Time

This couls be the start of my dream of singing/playing for people...
:)

Very nice song, Bob, and your voice is great. I would give my left nut to be able to sing like you do (which at this point in my life wouldn't be as great a sacrifice as one might think;)), as you will see when I post my submission later, so keep up the good work!:thu:

• Members

Here's my choice this month. It is a cover song called "Mean" by John Mellencamp. It is from his new CD entitled "Life, Death, Love and Freedom". I've never been a huge Mellencamp fan, but this CD is pretty good. Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=854833

As you will hear, my recording is multi-tracked. Rhythym and vocals on one track, solo guitar part on another, plus a casio keyboard drumbeat and organ effect. While not exactly a first-take recording, I guess I would call this a "relatively few" take recording. I want to get to a point where I am playing/practicing enough on a consistent basis to do true 1 take recordings, but for now, this is what I have to offer. Hope you enjoy.....

• Members

Very nice song, Bob, and your voice is great. I would give my left nut to be able to sing like you do (which at this point in my life wouldn't be as great a sacrifice as one might think;)), as you will see when I post my submission later, so keep up the good work!
:thu:

Thank you. I know what you mean. My wife had me "fixed" years ago...:)

• Members

This is Catch The Wind by Donovan.

Recorded with my HD-28, an AKG Perception 220 condenser mic, Apogee Duet, Logic Express.

And I did begin to learn this song before I heard it used in that stupid commercial.:mad:

Be gentle, I'm a work in progress.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=843097&songID=6890476

• Members

Sailors Hornpipe [traditional] recorded on a 00-60 Larrivee.

I once read that anyone who grew up in the 1950s or '60s and can listen to The William Tell Overture without being reminded of The Lone Ranger is a musical snob.

In learning to play Sailor's Hornpipe, I find it impossible to hear this ancient tune without images of Popeye the Sailor Man, Olive Oyl and spinach cans effervescing in my head.

I yam what I yam...

• Members

I've enjoyed spending a good part of morning listening. Nice work everyone!

bobc - Great job and congratulations! I'm not going to hug you though. I'll leave that to the pretty girls.

C70man - I like the intro. Great playing and singing.

FussenKuh - Cool song and nice playing. That's a really great sounding guitar!

oldnewbie - Good work. It's always nice to hear original songs.

OldGuitarPlayer - Nicely done. Well written song. I enjoyed it despite the Reagan comment. :p

Garthman - Cool finger picking and chord progression.

mrmoe - I was really struck by the recording quality! Great guitar sounds and voice. Really beautiful.

Cripes - For the life of me I cannot get the page to load completely. I've tried for over an hour. I'll try again this afternoon.

bransonb - Great playing. All those background sounds added to the recording. I really like these live recordings in front of an audience.

g6120 - Gil, that intro was really cool! Another great performance and recording.

strang - Very good performance both on guitar and singing.

Frets99 - Cool intro story. Another great performance and unique version of a well known song.

GoVols - Cool song. You did well on your recording - nice mix.

Sangemon - That's a nice song and I enjoyed your playing and singing. The vocals could probably be a little louder though.

Archived