VOM 8 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Sept 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

Cripes- Oh yeah. I was able to view it on this old pos. Great. Nice voice & cool picking @ the end after the lyrics finished, too.

In the interim, I got fed up and ordered a new computer. Should have it in a week or so.

Thanks. New computer? You'll have to go to the appropriate forum when it arrives and post the NCD. I'm sure you'll get a flurry of do/don't advice and procedures JIK you're not completely intuitive-savvy with it.

Now that I'm checked out with youtube uploading I'll have to work on recording quality. I'm thinking this means buying gear.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay. Once more thru.

Strang - Both Sides Now. Great song choice and very nicely played and sung. I've always made a half attempt to learn that one and it always sounded that way before I would get to the second half.

c70man - Now you've got me wondering why I never learned that one. I did a quick search and sure enough, couldn't find a tab. Nice playing.

bransonb - Train songs always seem to work with everyone. I liked the groove.

Sangemon - If I had any critical thing to say it would be to bring your voice forward more. Nice song.

Scodiddly - Moondance. Great song. I wasn't much of a Van Morrison fan but I did like that song and your playing of it.

RT1 - I dunno. The picking sounded fine to me. So did that guitar. I've never heard the song before - no surprises there - but I'll agree it is a cool song. Nicely done too.

Dave - Make that song longer...now! Great writing. Seriously, it ended too quickly for me but it sounded great.

Totamus - If there's any genre the south can take credit for it's the Rag for sure. I know only one, have yet to be able to sing while playing it but I prefer a good Rag over Blues any day. Thanks.

g6120 - Nice. I'm not much for the harmonica but you did a nice job on this. Thanks.

• Members

Bob- Killer song. Really glad you decided to sing at the open mic; your voice is a great thing and you should share it.

C70- Great job on one of my favorite Steve Goodman tunes.

Branson B- I've never heard that tune before, but it blew my mind. Great job.

DigitalRelay-You really have a great voice. I don't know the song, but I sure liked it.

Sangemon- Your HD28 sounds impeccable; nice voice too. What commercial is using Catch the Wind? As a huge Donovan fan, I cannot believe I haven't seen it.

Fussenkuh- Your playing is really tasty. :thu:

Riff- Your clips are always astounding. Your guitars sound so full and we really get a huge range of dynamics. :eek::thu:

Old Newbie-I really liked your song. It almost seemed like a nursery rhyme. Vashti Bunyan did a lot of cool stuff with directly lifting nursery rhyme melodies. Keep up the good work.

MrMoe- You're the real deal man. Your writing is excellent as are your voice and guitar skills.

Queequeg- You fingerstyle guys really inspire me. Nice job on a great old tune.

Cripes- The Youtube compression doesn't do you justice, but I really liked this. Your playing is sublime. Your voice is equally fantastic. :thu:

Scodiddly-Van the Man would be proud. Excellent recording too.

Gil- I always love your posts. Very cool video. :)

Frets- You're a beastly player and that old guitar has some serious mojo.

OGP- A real troubadour. I'm so glad you decided to come back to share such quality music with us.

Totamus- Very nice video. I enjoyed it throroughly.

HappyMan-very emotional performance indeed. Excellent rendition. I hope you're doing well.

RT1- You have an absolutely gorgeous voice. Great song choice.

I can't get to Gathman's song as I just see a red X in OhioArrow's post.

Excellent showing everybody. Thanks for sharing.

-Dave

• Members

Okay. Once more thru.

Strang - Both Sides Now. Great song choice and very nicely played and sung. I've always made a half attempt to learn that one and it always sounded that way before I would get to the second half.

c70man - Now you've got me wondering why I never learned that one. I did a quick search and sure enough, couldn't find a tab. Nice playing.

bransonb - Train songs always seem to work with everyone. I liked the groove.

Sangemon - If I had any critical thing to say it would be to bring your voice forward more. Nice song.

Scodiddly - Moondance. Great song. I wasn't much of a Van Morrison fan but I did like that song and your playing of it.

RT1 - I dunno. The picking sounded fine to me. So did that guitar. I've never heard the song before - no surprises there - but I'll agree it is a cool song. Nicely done too.

Dave - Make that song longer...now! Great writing. Seriously, it ended too quickly for me but it sounded great.

Totamus - If there's any genre the south can take credit for it's the Rag for sure. I know only one, have yet to be able to sing while playing it but I prefer a good Rag over Blues any day. Thanks.

g6120 - Nice. I'm not much for the harmonica but you did a nice job on this. Thanks.

Thanks Joe. I really appreciate it. I am working on a bridge and maybe an extra verse or two. I'm {censored}e at writing choruses, but I might give it a try for this one to add some meat to it.

• Members

ive got a video processing on youtube right now, ill post the video when it is finished.

that was faster than I thought it would be!

I did a really bad version of Cowgirl in the Sand by neil young. in the spirit of vom1t i didn't do a retake though. my voice has never been a strength of mine so constructive criticism is welcome!

[YOUTUBE]rHrK0Auc_EU[/YOUTUBE]

I will be listening to everyone's music tomorrow at work!

• Members

I finally got to sit down this evening and listen to all the links. All the links worked except Garthman's. Joe, Garthman's song didn't show up in your post, so I missed it. Don't know what is wrong. :confused:

There's a wide variety of tastes, interests and styles here. I don't feel qualified to single any particular performances out individually for comments. They were great and I enjoyed them all. This music really beats the Pasteurized, homogenized stuff I usually hear on the radio. Everybody, GREAT JOB! :thu:

DigitalRelay, Sangemon, Cripes, thanks for the kind words. I can't believe how poorly I did this compared to a few years ago. This is the first time in YEARS I've let anyone hear anything I've done. It has been fun. :wave:

• Members

Just got some time at the end of the day to take a listen to everyone's contributions. Excellent performances and variety, as always!

bobc, love that live feel and I only wish I could get the audience riled up the way you do! :D

C70man, really nice, spare arrangement which let's the good stuff come through.

FussenKuh, part of that reminded me of The House of the Rising Sun, nice work and let's hear some lyrics next time! :)

oldnewbie, first off, I like your screen name. :) I like the capo'd accompanyment and the deliberate delivery. Hope to see you again next month!

OGP, very nice song.......point well made......the 'trickle' of the 'trickle down theory' didn't quite reach everyone, did it?

mrmoe, nice fingerpickin' on that one, it sounded great in every way.

bransonb, nuthin' better than a train song to get things going. Nice fingerpickin' and those crescendo chords really cleared the cows off the tracks! :D

g6120, great performance all the way around (as usual!) and good to see that your musical genes continue on into the next generation! :)

strang, what a classic song from one of the best ever (Joni). You did a great job with it.

Frets99, my first guitar was a Stella (an earlier one than the one you have). I can still recall how difficult it was to play and now I think I know why. The previous owner must have set it up for slide! :D Great job on a real classic! And you might have to change your name to 'Fretless99' the way you play that guitar!

GoVols, I really liked it. Most songs around here are about love found or love lost. Your song was just plain old MEAN! :D

Digital Ray, interesting single note accompanyment......I liked it!

Sangemon, nice bold strumming, you captured the feel of the original very nicely!

Quequeg, that was awesome. Maybe you can let me know the source of your music? BTW, as a youngster, I was a Popeye fanatic. Well, that was before I discovered Superman. ;)

Cripes, excellent job, the "B section" of that song is very interesting......it went to unexpected harmonic places for me. And the Goodall sounded great. Looks like a real comfy-to-play guitar, too.

Scodiddly, very nice groove on that one......exactly what is needed for a good dance under the moon.

RT1, great guitar sound, great voice, great song......what else is there to say?

happy-man, now there's an all-time classic if ever there was one. You did a great job with it. I never tire of that song, I've read that the title is really just an anagram for "the world's most perfect song EVAH!" :D

MSIG, nice 6/8 fingerpicker with evocative lyrics. I suspect it is going to see more embellishment in the future, no?

totamus, Fan-Tastic!! Except please don't let my classical guitar teacher see your LH thumb technique! ;)

• Members

Scodiddly- I am an enormous Van Morrison fan and you did his signature tune justice here. Jazzy, bluesy and soulful. Dig.
MrMoe- you got a real steady thumb [solid rhythm] and what a nice melody and chord progression.
BransonB- You are All Aboard on this one, man. Ilistened twice. You ought to try that with a slide in your hand.
G6120- Another fine performance, augmented and authenticated with the addition of your child in the video.
Strang- well done on a standard from the best of the best [Joni].
Frets99- good to see you back on the Acoustic Forum again, man. waddayou mean, you don't play slide? that was so fine.
GoVols- well done. good production.

• Members

Quequeg
, that was awesome. Maybe you can let me know the source of your music? BTW, as a youngster, I was a Popeye fanatic. Well, that was before I discovered Superman.
;)

That piece was featured in the latest issue of Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine, as played and scored by editor Bill Piburn.

Riff- just listened to your contribution. Sir, you are in a category all your own here amongst us amateurs. Splendid.

Totamus- Guitar Rag is a MT classic, as is your performance here. Bravo, bravo.:thu:

• Members
Sangemon- Your HD28 sounds impeccable; nice voice too. What commercial is using
Catch the Wind
? As a huge Donovan fan, I cannot believe I haven't seen it.

Thanks! :)

It an ad for some upscale financial investment firm, running in the New York market for all those greedy Wall St. types. It's disgusting.:evil:

I just hate to see a great song like that used that way, but I guess Donovan has to eat too.

• Members

Your guitars sound so full and we really get a huge range of dynamics.

Dave, the Traphagen really is an amazing guitar.....and you hit the nail on the head, it has a tremendous dynamic range. It does the soft and sweet thing very well, but dig in with the RH and it really projects! Best CG I've ever had in that regard.

• Members
I did a really bad version of Cowgirl in the Sand by neil young. in the spirit of vom1t i didn't do a retake though. my voice has never been a strength of mine so constructive criticism is welcome! I will be listening to everyone's music tomorrow at work!

Great job with one of the classics!

And you will be listening to the VOM songs at work tomorrow? I hope your boss is not reading this! :D

• Members

Well, here we go. My first VOM. This is my song #20, "Thunderstorm Waltz", written in May 2006. Not even a half-competent recording or performance, but I hope the essence of what led me to write this one comes through.

Loved it. Great song. Really driving rhythm too. Reminds me of L. Cohen a bit.

• Members
Riff - Perfect. Just perfect and the socks, formal black of course, are a nice touch. They tell me...humility is definitely not lost on you. Um, why's your dog staying very far away?

Yeah, I reserve the Gold Toe socks for classical guitar performances. ;)

And fortunately, I have my dog trained to behave in a restrained manner around my guitars.

DSC_0527.jpg

:D

Archived