VOM 8 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Sept 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

I've enjoyed spending a good part of morning listening. Nice work everyone!

mrmoe - I was really struck by the recording quality! Great guitar sounds and voice. Really beautiful.

....thanx.....the recording was really quite simple....dual mic'd the guitar with 2 AKG Perception 200's - voice was done with a Beyer M-500 ribbon mic....recorded on a Tascam dp01-fxcd - converted to mp3 with itunes....

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

bobc- I had trouble getting your tune to play on my computer. This old thing is on its last legs and I'm due for a replacement.

oldnewbie- pretty little song. nice.

Stacka bones- in a word, "Lovely". never heard that song. Beautiful.

FussenKuh-

very dramatic. nice appeggios. lots of change-ups. You're good.

OldGuitarPlayer- good one. well-recorded. yeah. I remember those years. You have a good voice.

Garthman- Haunting sound of the old, old songs of the British Isles. I wouldn't have figured this one for a Leonard Cohen tune. I like it(even as it taxed the wee bit of RAM memory in this computer to the max).

I will have to listen to the rest from work tomorrow when I have a properly functioning machine.

• Members

Antonio Lauro (1917-1986) was an accomplished Venezuelan composer and guitarist. He wrote many important works for guitar, but he was also widely known for his compositions which include works for voice, piano, percussion, string quartet, and orchestra. I play one of his famous Valses (waltzes), Natalia, which was named after his daughter. Natalia has two parts. The first part is in a minor key and it is rhythmically and harmonically very interesting with its interplay between duple and triple meter and interesting broken arpeggios. The second part resolves to the major key and flows into a graceful, danceable Valse. (the second part would have sounded more graceful if I hadn't missed a couple of notes!! ;))

http://media.putfile.com/Natalia-94

I recorded this on a beautiful spruce/Bz Traphagen guitar, two mics into a Mackie mixer into a stereo CD recorder. I then use a 2nd CD player to played back the raw tracks back into the mixer (adjust pan, EQ, add some stereo reverb from an effects processor) back into the CD recorder. Very 80's. ;) Pics below. And yes, the stocking feet are a BIG part of the equation here. :D

sDSC_0466.jpg

• Members

OK, I've posted my submission and now I can relax and listen to the rest of you. And thanks to those who have listened to my the recording I made today.

Garthman - I run hot and cold on Leonard Cohen, but that was a very nice rendition of "The Dutchman"

Cripes - I couldn't get your song to load :confused:

Branson - Loved it, noise and all. The ambiance added something good, and I really felt like I was on a train. The your interpretation of the whistle at the end worked really well too!:thu:

Gil - Wonderful video. I love that song and always have, but it's been almost 25 years now and I still haven't been able to figure out what some of the lyrics are about. Is that a Martin you're playing....? :thu:

strang - "Both Sides Now" is one of my favorite songs of all time. Every time I hear Dave Van Ronk's version it makes me cry. I'm going to have to learn it now. Thanks for your lovely rendition. Beautiful fingerpicking!:thu::thu:

Frets99 - Who says you can't play slide? Sounds like you're playin' it to me.Great job, and nice tee shirt!;)

GoVols - Nice song, and a very nice mix. It counts for the VOM as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to try a drum and bass track one of these days, and someday I hope to be able to play a lead line.

DigitalRelay - You have a great voice, and that guitar ain't no slouch either. I was not familiar with that song, and I like it!:thu:

I need to take a guitar break and look up "Both Sides Now", but I'll be back for more later.

• Members

Yea, I haven't been able to listen to cripes tune either. I don't know if it's the Codec or what but everytime I try it locks up my browser and I must use task manager to force it to close.

Wouldn't happen to have a mp3 version of that tune, would you cripes? I'd love to hear it.

• Members

A lot of fun this VOM.

bobc - Great voice but as stated by Neil, noisy venue. I heard the song in a previous post, luckily.

OGP - Good voice and I really like the flavor of that song. LOL, a friend of mine years back wrote one not as good as yours but his key phrase was "Spare change..ain't no such thing". He was a bum, BTW, in Chicago at State and Division streets, 1973. You have a very nice, folky style.

Fretts - That was a great little number that I will "suffer thru" again today with the others.

mrmoe - I really dig your voice. There's a Keith Carradine texture to it. Soon as I heard you I thought of the song "I'm Easy". Great song.

Riff - Perfect. Just perfect and the socks, formal black of course, are a nice touch. They tell me...humility is definitely not lost on you. Um, why's your dog staying very far away? That guitar sounds bell-like. Makes my Yamaha sound like I made it myself.

Queequeg - Big effort there. I just learned Music Box Dancer and it pales in difficulty with this piece. They have to be learned though, don't they? Good playing.

Garthman - I want to hear this again in a better recording. It deserves it. I can hear exactly what I want to hear just not enough of the quality in this recording. Attribute it to my jet-engine destroyed ears. Great song and playing of it.

GoVols - Nicely done. Everything was nicely placed in the mix. I need to get the art of recording down that well.

DigitalRelay - I don't know the song or original artist but liked your rendering of it. I've taken a few non-acoustic songs and re-rendered them for acoustic. Not always an easy thing to do. BTW, my contrib here was in AVI format because iMac's IMovie doesn't give WMV format as an option. I had to hunt and peck and experiment just to get putfile to accept it.

I'm going back thru again to give another listen to everyone and pick up again here where I left off. There are honey-do's to get done first.

• Members

Yea, I haven't been able to listen to cripes tune either. I don't know if it's the Codec or what but everytime I try it locks up my browser and I must use task manager to force it to close.

Wouldn't happen to have a mp3 version of that tune, would you cripes? I'd love to hear it.

OK so the same thing is happening in both Windoze and Mac. It crashed Firefox and I had to force quit.

• Members

Okay. This is a good time to ask the computer-savvy folks here. The iMac iMovie feature doesn't show WMV as an option that putfile requests for upload. But, putfile does accept AVI and iMovie does have that in the Options so I went AVI. Is there something I can do to convert to WMV?

• Members

Okay. This is a good time to ask the computer-savvy folks here. The iMac iMovie feature doesn't show WMV as an option that putfile requests for upload. But, putfile does accept AVI and iMovie does have that in the Options so I went AVI. Is there something I can do to convert to WMV?

Why not upload it to YouTube and post a link?

• Members

No. I don't but could easily enough. If I get my Honey-do chores done I'll go the mp3 route later today. Or, I could just post another previously recorded song from my putfile account that's in mp3. We'll see how the day turns out.

• Members

Wow, what awesome stuff!

Cripes,

I occasionally have issues with Putfile (although the strictly audio Putfile stuff in this thread seemed to work out fine), so I couldn't seem to move your vid more than a second or two at a stretch. Will keep trying. But man, that Goodall is one hell of a piece of eye candy!

Someday I am going to contribute to one of these. I am a hopeless recording idiot, though. If I could figure out why on earth the recording level in Garageband keeps graying out at zero with the Lexicon Lamdba as the input source, I'd be in business. I think I'm just going to buy a massive bullhorn.

I always enjoy the hell out of this stuff from you lot, though. BRAVO! :thu:

• Members

I have not listened to all the music so far but I was curious about Cripes's video problem and I too could not get it to load properly. I think the problem might be that it is almost a 50MB file. Maybe if you reduced the size of the file somehow? I know with Windows Movie Maker you can do this and I usually try to make the file as small as possible so it doesn't take too long for others to download.

Just a suggestion. :)

• Members

Try this. It's the youtube route. BTW, the original iMovie captured my saddle-up view complete with smooth mellon. The final rendering de-cranialated me. Better for you. Also, the recording makes the Goodall sound like a plastic Hurdy-Gurdy so pay no attention to the quality of the guitar.

That I can see fine.. I changed the Archive site to this url as I suspect it will be more universal for more people.

• Members

Wow, what awesome stuff!

Cripes,

I occasionally have issues with Putfile (although the strictly audio Putfile stuff in this thread seemed to work out fine), so I couldn't seem to move your vid more than a second or two at a stretch. Will keep trying. But man, that Goodall is one hell of a piece of eye candy!

Someday I am going to contribute to one of these. I am a hopeless recording idiot, though.
If I could figure out why on earth the recording level in Garageband keeps graying out at zero with the Lexicon Lamdba as the input source, I'd be in business.
I think I'm just going to buy a massive bullhorn.

I always enjoy the hell out of this stuff from you lot, though. BRAVO!
:thu:

I had the same issue. I think I went to Preferences and selected the input and set it for external mono. Typically, I use one mic to record both guit/vox and if using tereo it (naturally) comes out panned to whatever XLR input channel I tapped on the mixer. Seems every time I record I never remember what I did to stumble upon the button pushing selections/sequences the last time I did it (somewhat) right. Am I basking in my ignorance here?

• Members

recorded on a 00-60 Larrivee.

I once read that anyone who grew up in the 1950s or '60s and can listen to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (which incidentally, had nothing whatever to do with the fledgling US post-revolutionary spat with Britain; rather it was Napoleon's invasion of Russia) without being reminded of The Lone Ranger is a musical snob.

In learning to play Sailor's Hornpipe, I find it impossible to hear this ancient tune without images of Popeye the Sailor Man, Olive Oyl and spinach cans effervescing in my head.

I yam what I yam...

The Lone Ranger used The William Tell Overture.

The 1812 Overture was used by Quaker Oats.

• Members

Sorry I'm so late to the party. I haven't even had a chance to listen to anybody's anything yet. The power has been out at my house and just came back on a few minutes ago.

Here's my offering to the VOM.

It is a cover of Angel Eyes by Willis Alan Ramsey. Just about the coolest song he ever wrote, IMO.

I just learned it and I don't quite have the picking pattern down the way he does it, but here goes anyway. BTW, it is a one take in stereo with a little bit of reverb to take the edge off a little. I hope ya'll like it.

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPage.do?ToId=12786&Path=null

Now back to page 1......:thu: (yahooooooooo!)

RT1

• Members

I haven't listened to any yet. I'm very emotionally spent today. I almost skipped it this time. This is very VOM1T: didn't do any sound check or anything, so I think the mic isn't placed right, but I didn't have the energy to do anything else or try again. I'll hopefully listen to others later tonight after my daughter's soccer game.

Somewhere over the rainbow. Taylor 110 with Elixir strings over a year old, homemade mic into Audacity on laptop.

http://www.box.net/shared/ac83dekrfo

Scott O

• Members

Sorry I'm so late to the party. I haven't even had a chance to listen to anybody's anything yet. The power has been out at my house and just came back on a few minutes ago.

Here's my offering to the VOM.

It is a cover of Angel Eyes by Willis Alan Ramsey. Just about the coolest song he ever wrote, IMO.

RT1

You're not late, and that was well-worth waiting for.

Beautiful song.

Beautifully rendered here. :thu:

Archived