VOM 8 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Sept 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

Ugh...so i promised myself I'd put something up this month, but it was a struggle. Nothing went right this evening when I finally sat down and tried with the old digital camera. My guitar sounds terrible...I don't know if it's the new strings or my nails/attack, but it's muddy in real life and muddier on the recording. On top of that I just couldn't relax my hands enough to make this one come out with any fluidity. And then throw in the choppers flying around outside my place (the chicago river apparently overflowed earlier today about a block from where I live), a very noisy chair and I don't know what else to say.

Enough excuses? This is a Study in E minor by Carcassi - Opus 60 No. 19.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Riff - Steeplechases using dogs now?

Reminds me of a Groucho line: "Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

BTW, the notes you "missed" in this VOM submission will need to be posted in the next one as make up. I have no idea where they should be inserted but that's not the point. No short-cuts.

• Members

OK, here we go, where was I.....?

Queequeg - Love that style. Great old tune. :)

riffmeister - That was beautiful. You played that the way a Hall Of Fame Member should! Love the socks!;)

Cripes - Very nice! I don't remember that one. Nice fingerpickin'. Too bad the audio wasn't better, but you came through in spite. Love the inlay on your headstock!

Scodiddly - Love that quiet "Moondance" groove. I can't wait until I'm able to do the kind of stuff you did there at the end. Nicely done.:thu:

RT1 - :thu: Never heard that song before. Sounds beautiful!

happy-man - Last month you blew my mind with Zombie. Now this.:love: Just beautiful. Thank you!

MattSkibaIsGOD - Very nice song, Dave. I like your voice too. Is that nylon? Too bad about the line noise, though. Bad juju. :cry:

Totamus - My teacher is about to start me on a Rag. I'm looking forward to it. Nice pickin'!:thu:

Jaron - Sounds good!:thu: Is the guitar plugged in? Your voice is good, wish it was louder (My song has the same problem. The difficulty of working by yourself with one mic). Good job!

Michael Martin - Thunderstorm Waltz:lol: Great song. Funny and sweet. Makes me want to learn how to write songs. Nice recording:thu: Less 'verb.

gthom - Isn't it funny how we can only hear our mistakes. I know thats true for me. Guitar terrible? Attack? Muddy? Fluidity? Man you just played a really complicated piece of music really well. Helicopters you can't control. Give yourself a pat on the back, and get a quieter chair! Nice job!

Out for now. Waiting to see if anything else pops up.

• Members

Just had a most enjoyable evening listening to all that I was able to hear. Thank you all.

bobc - good job. made me wish I was at the open mic

c70man - I enjoyed that. It's getting later and I'm in a much more mellow mood than earlier, and that song hit the spot for me.

FussenKuh - I liked that. One of the few I listened to earlier today. When I 1st heard it, I my though was "I wonder if this is going to be my favorite this time" I'm not ranking anything right now (haven't heard them all yet)

oldnewbie - nice and mellow.

OldGuitarPlayer, mrmoe, Cripes - putfile isn't working for me. I'll have to try tomorrow.

bransonb - good job. Reminds me of the open mic I went to for many years. They used their espresso steamer anything they wanted to heat water, and it sounded like that. Also the door on their cooler squeeked when it closed. Adds to the ambiance.

g6120 - you really got me with this one. I love how you mixed your son into this. This is awesome!

strang - that brings back memories. I need to learn that.

Frets99 - that was great. Now I've got to get an old guitar to do that!

GoVols - War Eagle! Sounded good.

DigitalRelay - realy nice. I'm not familiar with Audioslave.

Sangemon - there's an advantage to not watching much TV. Good that it didn't stop you.

Queequeg - oh no! another putfile. AAaaaaggghhhh! putfile hates me!

riffmeister - AAaaaa! I'm still trying the putfile over and over. Mozilla, IE, wait, push play. It's just not cooperating.

Scodiddly - helped lift my mood.

recordingtrack1 - Mellowed me out again. I enjoyed that.

MattSkibaIsGOD - Nice. Seemed short. I was surprised when it ended.

totamus - Good job.

Jaron - you've got the most cheerful avitar. Makes we want to eat sushi. Not a bad version; I enjoyed it. Put the mic so that you don't have to turn to the side to sing into it.

Micheal Martin - I don't know why, but I was swept into the four book Hitchhicker's Guide trilogy as I listened to this. Don't take that as a bad thing.

gthom - Enough excuses. That really relaxed me. I soaked it it.

Freeman Keller - I know what I'm going to be doing at work tomorrow: trying these putfile submissions!

Scott O

• Members

This is a Study in E minor by Carcassi - Opus 60 No. 19

My guitar sounds terrible.....it's muddy in real life and muddier on the recording.

I just couldn't relax my hands enough to make this one come out with any fluidity.

And then throw in the choppers flying around outside my place.

And a very noisy chair.

Enough excuses?

Way too many.......it sounded good! The only thing I heard was the chair at the very end when you were reaching over to shut off the recorder.

Those Carcassi - Aguado - Sor guys left quite a legacy of music for us! Thanks for sharing.

• Members

I'm just making it through everyone's, and it amazes me how entertaining and great you all are. I can't comment on everyone, just because I'm too lazy, but here's a few thoughts:

Fussenkuh Very cool, I'd forgotten about that song. Great take and a lot of fun to listen to.

Old Newbie Welcome and great job. Great sound and lyrics.

OGP Awesome as always, you have a great voice.

Strang That's such an amazing song and one I wish I could play/sing. You did a fantastic job on it.

Frets Nice guitar and nice slide playing!

DigitalRelay I don't know the song, but still really dug that.

Queequeg That's was a really cool version of that...I even managed to get popeye out of my head and appreciate the song on its own.

Riffmeister Damn, that's humbling. Great tone and dynamics and everything. I've never heard that before but still really really awesome.

Well, that's as far as I've gotten tonight, and I know I missed a few people already. I'll finish up the rest tomorrow when I get a chance. Thanks for a great show everyone.

• Members

First I just wanna say thanks to all of those who took the time to listen to my tune and to make such kind comments! :)

Ok...here's what I've heard so far:

bobc For your first time ever getting up at the open mic you and your partner sounded like pros! I loved the "live" audience vibe. :rawk:

C70man that was truly wonderful...lovely fingerpicking! How do you remember all those lyrics? ;)

FussenKuh I loved your playing..you have a real good sense of timing and the solo guitar was killer! :thu:

garthman I can't seem to get the page to load :(

oldnewbie Very nice melody and excellent lyrics. I Loved the way you pick the melody out on your guitar and sing it all at the same time.

mrmoe Another fine example of amazing timing and beautiful fingerpicking, strumming and singing...I love the sound of your guitar too! :)

bransonb Very nice indeed...it had a real rolling train feel to it and the added sound effects were a bonus :thu: I loved the sound of that guitar...was it the Hummingbird?

g6120 Again another fine performance Gil. Adding your young son in the video was a nice touch. Your guitar playing, singing, and harmonica playing is excellent...most entertaining too! I like how you always put so much fun into what you are playing. :)

strang One of my favorite tunes and you have done a great job! It's a tough one to sing. Thanks for bringing back some memories.

Frets99 "She blew my nose and then she blew my mind"! (love the t-shirt btw) I was singing right along with ya! Gotta love the tone of those old Stella's...may you keep sliding on sir! :thu:

GoVols I am not familiar with that tune but I like how you presented it. Nice chords...good singing and nice little solo. Well done!

Well..that's just the first page and I am blown away by the staggering amount of talent I've heard so far...now on to page 2...:D

• Members

It looks like I missed the VOM! :idk:

I will listen to all of you tomorrow though! I've been busy today cleaning/rearranging my apartment since my niece is going to live with me during her studies.

Maybe she'll want to learn guitar! :confused::p

So, see you all/listen to you all tomorrow! :wave:

edit: I added this file. I just tried to put lyrics on my short remake of Hold On by Sarah McLachlan!(Sorry Sarah!)

• Members

Here's my perpetual work in progress. Still haven't gotten lyrics written down that I like so I just noodled with it as an instrumental. I'm still working on it so it's not technically "finished" yet.

EDIT: BTW, this is an "original" kwakatak piece. Played on my miked-up Takamine. Reverb was added in Reaper. Sorry for it being so long and "quiet."

http://media.putfile.com/ThanToHaveNeverLovedAtAll-draft-09152008

• Members

From what I gather, our tireless archiver, Ohioarrow, has been caught up in some pretty nasty weather and is without power. He may be without power for a couple of days, so we'll have to hang tight until everything clears up and then give him time to get around to updating the VOM archive.

I'm keeping Ohioarrow -- Joe -- in my thoughts and prayers and hope you will, too. :thu:

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Well..now I am listening to page 2...

DigitalRelay That was a stunning version of that song. Your Martin sounded awesome and you have some serious vocal cords there. I also enjoyed the recording. You have a nice recording/video setup too. Thanks for joining us.

Sangemon That's still a classic song and I am glad you did learn it and shared it with us. Don't ever stop learning. You played fine and it sounded great! :thu::thu:

Queequeg I know exactly what you mean about Popeye the sailor man!
Great playing! Your playing really captured the spirit of the tune! I enjoyed the tone of your Larivee as well...:)

riffmeister Man! (picks jaw up off the floor) I am speechless...that was beautiful. You must make videos so we can see this amazing technique you have...As always your recording and guitar sound is stunning! Love the socks!!!! You just need sandals!!...:lol:

Cripes That was lovely...wonderful smooth, fast fingerpicking and strong vocal. Going from fingerpicking to the strumming part while singing must have been hard to do. I applaud you sir!!!

Well..it's getting late here so I will get up early tomorrow and listen to page 3.. So far this has been a most entertaing VOM!

• Members

Just got back from a weekend trip with the misses. A company thing. I want to thank everyone for their comments and as soon as I get settled in today I'm going to start listening and responding to everyones contributions. Also, I want to specially thank Stacks for posting my entry while I was gone.

I have my Monday lesson today, so it may not be till tomorrow before I get to listen to everyone, and get all my comments together. Kinda like Xmas morning, too much to play with at one time.:)

Till later.....

• Members

Kwak- you're amazing. you have playing, vocal and writing skills and far, far more than a full time job.

Happy-Man- Over the Rainbow is a beautiful tune. You played/sang it so well.

MattSkibaIsGOD- Good song. Has an ancient chanty aire to it; pagan hymn-like lyrics. Pretty cool.

Jaron- Another Neil Young classic. Ever considered a collaboration WITH g6120? yoU guys could get us on our feet.

Sangemon- You're a SouthPaw!Donovan stuff is so classic. Still sounds fresh. Good job!

DigitalRelay- not familiar with the tune or the band but you have a nice voice, man.

Michael Martin- nice jangly guitar sound. Strong vocals. I remember the days of your first Open Mike. You've come a long way, baby.

gthom- hey, pass that plate of excuses over here, because clearly you don't need them That was terrific. Bravo, man. Hey, I even liked the chair squeak there @ the end.

Freeman Keller- Beautiful tune. I will never grasp how anyone is able to fingerstyle on a 12 string guitar. Important thing is that you do! Lovingly rendered.

• Members
It looks like I missed the VOM!
:idk:

I will listen to all of you tomorrow though! I've been busy today cleaning/rearranging my apartment since my niece is going to live with me during her studies.

Maybe she'll want to learn guitar!
:confused::p

So, see you all/listen to you all tomorrow!
:wave:

edit: I added this file. I just tried to put lyrics on my
short remake
of Hold On by Sarah McLachlan!(Sorry Sarah!)

OK, I'm working backwards through the submissions and I'm glad I did. I personally love Sarah McLachlan and her works. This is a great song and you do it well, Misha.

BTW - I have a confession: I've attempted another one of her songs as well, though I haven't recorded it. I always think it's strange when a guy tries to cover a song originally written and performed by a woman. The song is "Good Enough" which is also on her album Fumbling Towards Ecstasy and I do it with a lower pitch obviously, but I can't help but put a country "twang" in my voice. She does it with a capo on the second fret but I just play it without the capo so it's easier on my vocal cords. I can't say that it's any easier on the ears, though! :o

• Members
It looks like I missed the VOM!
:idk:

Maybe she'll want to learn guitar!
:confused::p

So, see you all/listen to you all tomorrow!
:wave:

edit: I added this file. I just tried to put lyrics on my
short remake
of Hold On by Sarah McLachlan!(Sorry Sarah!)

Better late than never.

Good job! Thanks for posting it.:thu:

Archived