If you could play with the skill and talent of anyone...

Berkleo

• Members

I was listening to Laurence Juber in the kitchen today and his playing just froze me, mesmerized in my tracks. I'd love to be able to play like that (duh) though I never will. But I was thinking this is THE player I'd sell my soul to play like.

Which leads me to my question: Yes there are pitfalls negotiating with the Man In Black (not Jonny Cash, the other one, no no not Bono the other other one) but hazards aside who would you sell your (metaphorical) soul to play like?

Bear in mind you've only got one soul so decide between Fahey and Kottke and don't be wastin' the Devil's time :evil: - he hates that an would just as soon turn you into a newt, no no not Bono again - a newt. :facepalm:

Cheers.

• Members

I'm sorry. Practice enough and you'll realize that you don't HAVE to play like anyone else. I try to play like a bunch of different folks but I stopped getting hung up over minutia and decided to learn the bare bones of each song and let the rest fall into place, i.e. make it my own.

• Members

I'm sorry. Practice enough and you'll realize that you don't HAVE to play like anyone else. I try to play like a bunch of different folks but I stopped getting hung up over minutia and decided to learn the bare bones of each song and let the rest fall into place, i.e. make it my own.

+1 I like this realistic approach. But if we are pretending here anyways, I choose Roy Clark. He sure always looks like he's having great fun.

• Members

Any of us, within minor limitations, could indeed play like anybody... if we were willing to put in the practice time. What sets the great players apart is that they're interested/obsessed with the instrument enough to spend hours every day developing technique, tone, working out parts, etc.

• Members

On second thought, is
that
how you got that gorgeous guitar?

I am so in love with that guitar. I've called in sick to work more than a few times just to be with it.:facepalm:

On another note I've deceided to pass my 30 year old Lammie Yammie on to my niece this x-mas. I hope she finds inspiration in it. :wave:

• Members

I'd prefer songwriting skill to playing, make me john lennon, johnny cash, give me hit after hit, may I never be forgotten.

Great answer but you were warned not to fractalize your immortal soul. :evil: Indeed Belzebubalicious has given you all the talent of both but condemned you to write Mc Donalds jingles for all eternity.....Muuuhhhahahahahahah (that would be my internet approximation of a very evil laugh...)

• Members

+1 I like this realistic approach. But if we are pretending here anyways, I choose Roy Clark. He sure always looks like he's having great fun.

+2

However for me, it would be Eddie Van Halen. He, too, always looks like he's having fun. And then maybe I could get with his ex :love:

• Members

There are many better musicians than I. My influences are many - Doc Watson, BB King, Merle Travis, Leo Kotke and I know I will never play as well as any of them. That said, I don't want to be any of them. Part of the joy of music is finding your own style and sound.

• Members

I cheat I can never decide on one!

on a local level Frets99 or Rock-Lobster, watched many of their videos (More in EG section) If I could play as they do, I would be happy and comfortable!

On someone with a bit more fame, Steve Miller, James Taylor, Justin Hayward, Roy Clark or another comes to mind that we never got to see their full talent Jim Croce

Of course If I could play as well as anyone above, what would I strive for , would I still wish to keep working at it and trying to learn more and play better?

• Members

I heard some music the other day and it made me stop and listen and say wow. It was a cool moment and I wanted to share it. So I thought this question might be a humorous way to to it. Ever heard "fill in name here " play something that just filled you with awe? You're right. You don't have to play like anyone else and you shouldn't want to. :thu::thu:

• Members

that could be one small surgery away....

Yikes! :eekphil:

Actually, I used to go to Harvard Square and listen to the most amazing street performer named Ned Landin aka "Flathead." He was awe-inspiring. I listen to his CDs all the time. He moved out west years ago and Harvard Square has been a far less happy place because of it. Anyway, I took a shot and looked on youtube and there he was! So without further ado, my personal guitar-playing/songwriting/singing hero, Flathead:

[YOUTUBE]Yr0V2MZD4AA[/YOUTUBE]

Archived