If you could play with the skill and talent of anyone...

Berkleo

• Members

Thanks, baba, for posting that! :thu: That guy is amazing--I only wish he had some kind of virtual guitar case set up so that I could throw in some coin!

On the original question: Richard Thompson. :love:

Also, not to complain, but all of this bluster about being original strikes me as overly sensitive, even defensive. :facepalm: The OP was not suggesting that any of you are unoriginal. It would be hard to clone any guitarist, and I'm not sure anyone would really want to (though a few dudes on the electric side with their EVH and SRV, perhaps come close!), so there's really no need to proudly proclaim your originality. We all stand on the shoulders of (multiple) giants. The fun of the question is naming your giants!

• Members

Thanks, baba, for posting that!
:thu:
That guy is amazing--I only wish he had some kind of virtual guitar case set up so that I could throw in some coin!

On the original question:
Richard Thompson
:love:

Also, not to complain, but all of this bluster about being original strikes me as overly sensitive, even defensive.
:facepalm:
The OP was not suggesting that any of you are unoriginal. It would be hard to clone any guitarist, and I'm not sure anyone would really want to (though a few dudes on the electric side with their EVH and SRV, perhaps come close!), so there's really no need to proudly proclaim your originality. We all stand on the shoulders of (multiple) giants. The fun of the question is naming your giants!

Glad you liked Ned's playing. He had a very loyal and loving following in Harvard Square. Anyway, if you like his stuff you could go to his website and order his albums. I recommend his 6th and 5th albums as IMHO they are his best.

http://www.nedtv.com/nedtv/newopener_content.html

• Members

I'm sorry. Practice enough and you'll realize that you don't HAVE to play like anyone else. I try to play like a bunch of different folks but I stopped getting hung up over minutia and decided to learn the bare bones of each song and let the rest fall into place, i.e. make it my own.

We subscribe to the same philosophy muchacho. :cool:

• Members
I'm sorry. Practice enough and you'll realize that you don't HAVE to play like anyone else. I try to play like a bunch of different folks but I stopped getting hung up over minutia and decided to learn the bare bones of each song and let the rest fall into place, i.e. make it my own.

++1 Find your own voice. All these guys are unique because they are unique

:thu:

Archived