How to keep my guitars in my possession

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I commented on someone else's accurate "advice" that the cost of a lawyer often times exceeds the amount of money involved in the marital estate.

Yep all I was saying...but I also think Darkhorse probably had ownership prior to the marriage so the guitars are not an issue anyway.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Um - not to belabor the obvious, but the fact that the OP is still seeking advice on a guitar forum (this is not the first time), while his wife and mother-in-law are gleefully pulling his pants down, is a clear indication that he needs competent legal counsel.

• Members

Well, whether a divorce happens depends on whether her and I can get an anulment or not. If not, then its divorce.

I had all but one of the guitars (and that one I was already planning to sell before all this happened) prior to marriage, so if what was said here is correct then I don't have to worry about her legally taking them.

I already made sure she has no access to my bank accounts or credit cards.

A new development, her parents are trying to pressure her to go to marriage counseling and to try to get me to go along. Her parents, mad, called my parents, tried to yell at them (if you know my dad that is a big mistake) and heard my side of the story (her side was she left because I cheated). My parents would like to see me go to counseling with her too. I'm wondering if I should go. So far she's had a very low level of maturity, blaming everything on me and believing she was in the right in everything she did.

I'm also taking any advice given here with a grain of salt. I know its a guitar board, and while knowledgeable about all things guitars, knowledge about others things very likely isn't as good. But there are people here who have gone through divorce, and I asked just asked for advice to get ideas of things to ask about when I get a lawyer. I always intended to get a lawyer.

• Members

Well, whether a divorce happens depends on whether her and I can get an anulment or not. If not, then its divorce.

I had all but one of the guitars (and that one I was already planning to sell before all this happened) prior to marriage, so if what was said here is correct then I don't have to worry about her legally taking them.

I already made sure she has no access to my bank accounts or credit cards.

A new development, her parents are trying to pressure her to go to marriage counseling and to try to get me to go along. Her parents, mad, called my parents, tried to yell at them (if you know my dad that is a big mistake) and heard my side of the story (her side was she left because I cheated). My parents would like to see me go to counseling with her too. I'm wondering if I should go. So far she's had a very low level of maturity, blaming everything on me and believing she was in the right in everything she did.

I'm also taking any advice given here with a grain of salt. I know its a guitar board, and while knowledgeable about all things guitars, knowledge about others things very likely isn't as good. But there are people here who have gone through divorce, and I asked just asked for advice to get ideas of things to ask about when I get a lawyer. I always intended to get a lawyer.

How old are you and your wife?

• Members

We are both 23.

OK, that explains why both sets of parents are involved.

My advice is that you and your wife get counsiling and STOP involving your parents. Your parents are not going to see things objectively and they will ultimately make things worse. It already sounds like her mother is one of your bigget problems.

23 is young, but you guys are old enough to handle your own relationship issues and too old to have your parents involved. It's time to act like adults.

• Members

OK, that explains why both sets of parents are involved.

My advice is that you and your wife get counsiling and STOP involving your parents. Your parents are not going to see things objectively and they will ultimately make things worse. It already sounds like her mother is one of your bigget problems.

23 is young, but you guys are old enough to handle your own relationship issues and too old to have your parents involved. It's time to act like adults.

She got the parents involved, not me.

I had pushed for counseling, but she kept flip-flopping on whether she wanted to go or not. She wants to go, I go to make an appointment, and then she doesn't want to go. Then she wants to go, I go to make an appointment again, and she changes her mind again. Right know she doesn't want to try it because she has a boyfriend that she has had for two week and "he is already in love with her enough to marry her". She really needs stop acting like she has the maturity level of a middle schooler.

• Members

Yes, I read it as she's the one that got the parents involved. Her mother called his parents, he didn't ask for that. The parents will certainly throw a wrench into the works, and will be biased, but that's to be expected. It is best to have them stay out of the mix.

Personally, I think counseling will just prolong the agony. Counseling is for relationships with even a glimmer of hope. This one went over the falls a while back.

Keep moving forward, Darkhorse. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

• Members

She appears to have moved on and I think it'd be for the best if both parties agree to try and calmly consolidate the legal process without parental involvement (Apart from obvious moral support).

You're both adults and need to act accordingly and regardless of who did what, where, when or why. Only you can decide upon which direction you're going to travel. ;)

Breath in, breath out and life goes on. :thu:

Archived