How to keep my guitars in my possession

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

With all due respect to the other posters, you are getting some bad advice here, other than the suggestion to seek legal counsel.

Get your advice from a licensed family law attorney in your jurisdiction!!!!
:cop:

There you have it.

and remember this: (as many of us here can attest)

in answer to the age-old question- Why is divorce is so expensive?

Because it is worth it.

better days ahead.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

except maybe we have also been through the same ordeal
:wave:

Again, no offense intended, but being a party to a divorce does not qualify you to give legal advice. You may have broken a leg at one time or another, but it does not make you an orthopedic surgeon. I play a guitar, but I can't build one.

I know you are all trying to help, but I'm afraid if some of this advice is followed, things will be much worse than they might be.

• Members

This is a great forum. Good place to commiserate with friends. It is the LAST place to get legal advice. Talk to your lawyer.

This, and sentiments like it from other posters, is correct. Also, there's a decent chance your ex is already reading this (I'm assuming she knows what websites you frequent) and if she wasn't already interested in how much your guitars are worth, she is now.

Don't take your legal issues to public forums (or fora, or whatever) - not only is the advice you'll receive likely bad, but it's not confidential and can easily be printed up and used as Petitioner's Exhibit FF demonstrating Respondent's efforts to hide his assets.

• Members

First thing...contact an attorney. I'm going through an unexpected divorce here also. You need to know how things work in your own state.

As far as NY. If you entered the marriage with an asset it is yours in divorce. If it was purchased during the marriage then it is community property. So if you owned the guitars before you married then you shouldn't have to worry (if your laws are the same). If you purchased them after the marriage then she has a right to half the value. Usually it's a trade off with other stuff. In my case my wife has collections of figurines so she is getting those and I my guitars.

:cry:

• Members

Darkhorse, Hi, difficult time for you, and I wish you all the best and peace.

It is best you take as much heat out of the situation as possible keeping a working and reasonable with your wife. The more you can talk with her without the expence and interference of solicitors the better. That way you can agree on what is rightfully and morally hers and yours.

• Members

It is best you take as much heat out of the situation as possible keeping a working and reasonable with your wife. The more you can talk with her without the expence and interference of solicitors the better. That way you can agree on what is rightfully and morally hers and yours.

duty_calls.png

• Members

make a list of everything her {censored} of a

Mother took from your place. Assign a value to it. Assign a value to your guitars that is comparable, and then call it even. Send the guitars to a fiend. Get them out of the house. If you had them before the relationship, they should be hands off.

• Members

Most of you know that I am seperating from my wife. We are trying to get an anulment. If that doesn't go through then it is divorce. Iowa has no-fault divorce, which means she'll get half my assets despite the fact that she was unfaithful.

I have little over in liquid assets what I owe in student loans. I'm just going to pay back all loans so most of my money goes towards something of mine (that I need to pay back anyways) instead of her pocket.

However, even though she already has almost everything we had possession wise, I can easily see her mother convincing her to go after my guitars (my 1967 Gibson ES-335 in particular). If it comes to that, what legal ways could I prevent this? Could I do what Willie Nelson did to keep the IRS from getting Trigger?

I'll get a lawyer if it comes to that, but free opinions never hurt.

(1) Take instruments to trustworthy relative/friend's house...preferably one she's never had carnal relations w/ (in my case, it took a little searching ;)).

(2) When ex-PIA asks about 'em, look her dead in the eye and say "You B*tch, you know you took 'em!"

(3) Stick to that story until the whole thing is past.

Trust me, this worked! ;)

• Members

No she is not. However, she still has a key I'm trying to get back. Her name is still on lease, and landlord won't take it off unless she signs something first. Landlord also won't change locks unless she okays it because she is still on lease. Reason she has pretty much everything else is her and her mom came over when I was at work and took almost everything.

My most important and valuable stuff was safe because I put it in the closet and moved the 15 year old RCA console tv in front of the door. Not even together could they move that thing.

Change the lock now...very easy to do, and extremely cost effective!

• Members

Most of you know that I am seperating from my wife. We are trying to get an anulment. If that doesn't go through then it is divorce. Iowa has no-fault divorce, which means she'll get half my assets despite the fact that she was unfaithful.

I have little over in liquid assets what I owe in student loans. I'm just going to pay back all loans so most of my money goes towards something of mine (that I need to pay back anyways) instead of her pocket.

However, even though she already has almost everything we had possession wise, I can easily see her mother convincing her to go after my guitars (my 1967 Gibson ES-335 in particular). If it comes to that, what legal ways could I prevent this? Could I do what Willie Nelson did to keep the IRS from getting Trigger?

I'll get a lawyer if it comes to that, but free opinions never hurt.

"Give" them away. Or, "sell" them for a couple bucks and split that with her. Whatever. No-Fault divorce? That's the same thing as saying it's cheaper to keep her. Church and State are in bed with that one. Hide your guitars and wait it out.

• Members

"Church and State are in bed with that one.

Actually, it's just the opposite. Makes it much easier to divorce.

I once knew a Judge (wonderful man and devout Catholic), 15 years after Michigan adopted no-fault divorce, who would occasionally refuse to grant a divorce, stating their had not been a sufficient breakdown in the marriage. He would interrogate the hell out of the plaintiff on the stand on the issue, when most other Judges would sign the judgment from the bench, without even listening to the proofs.

That is the church CLASHING with the state.

• Members

Man up, my friend, or you'll lose what little you have left.

GET A {censored}ING LAWYER

2. Change the locks yourself, give the landlord a key. If your lease prevents you from doing so, squeeze some epoxy into the locks, and tell the landlord your wife vandalized them.

3. If you choose your friends the same way you chose your wife, don't involve them in this mess. Rent a closet at a self storage place, put your guitars and anything else worth saving in there, and
PAY CASH

Yep! What he said. And, one more thing. If you've got a bank account, even if it's only $100, get that money out of there now and close the account. Hide the money....whatever......but don't leave it in the bank! Hide the guitars too and any proofs of purchase. If she can't prove you had them, they dont' exist! Have no mercy on her.........you have to be a ruthless as she is......women can be vindictive, Son. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned! It's in the BOOK!

But, the very first thing you need to do is GET A LAWYER!! The divorce courts don't really give a damn who stepped out on who. Believe, me; I've been in your position, and it ain't fun. `

I really hope you get the annulment, because if it comes down to getting a divorce, she can even make you pay for ALL of her food, clothing and shelter until the divorce is final.......and that sometimes takes a few months!! Good Luck and let us know how things work out.

• Members

Man up, my friend, or you'll lose what little you have left.

2. Change the locks yourself, give the landlord a key. If your lease prevents you from doing so, squeeze some epoxy into the locks, and tell the landlord your wife vandalized them.

3. If you choose your friends the same way you chose your wife, don't involve them in this mess. Rent a closet at a self storage place, put your guitars and anything else worth saving in there, and
PAY CASH

+1... Man up, get a lawyer, hide the guitars.... and I really liked number 2 of the above post.... nice way to making the landlord change the lock.

Archived