What's the difference in the EXP strings?

mrjayd

• Members

all the EXP11,13,16,26 and light versus custom light strings?

Thanks.....JD

Their numbers represent the gauge of the strings. Light is EXP11 and custom light can be anything the mfr. wants them to be, usually 10 or 9 gauge. The higher the number, the heavier the gauge.

BigAl ;)

• Members

Well the numbers just don't make sence to me. Here is what I got off a sight online:

EXP15 Extra Light - 10-14-23-30-39-47

EXP26 Custom Light - 11-15-22-32-42-52

EXP16 Light - 12-16-24-32-42-53

EXP17 Medium - 13-17-26-35-45-56

EXP19 Bluegrass - 12-16-25-35-45-56

So if EXP11 are lights where does the 15,26,16, etc. all fit in?

Sorry for the questions but the numbers just don't make sense to me.

Their numbers represent the gauge of the strings. Light is EXP11 and custom light can be anything the mfr. wants them to be, usually 10 or 9 gauge. The higher the number, the heavier the gauge.

BigAl
;)

• Members

Well the numbers just don't make sence to me. Here is what I got off a sight online:

EXP15 Extra Light - 10-14-23-30-39-47

EXP26 Custom Light - 11-15-22-32-42-52

EXP16 Light - 12-16-24-32-42-53

EXP17 Medium - 13-17-26-35-45-56

EXP19 Bluegrass - 12-16-25-35-45-56

So if EXP11 are lights where does the 15,26,16, etc. all fit in?

Sorry for the questions but the numbers just don't make sense to me.

It may just be their made up name/code I have not figured out any other logic/reasoning as of yet (and not spending much time worrying about it)

I generally buy exp 11 and exp 19

I could care less what they call them as long as I get those string sets!

• Members

D'Addario's string set number designations do not correllate with string gauges in the set. The gauges you list are in thousandths, and generally dictate what are referred to as lights, mediums, etc. Manufacturers vary a bit in those definitions.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I prefer PB strings on my Carvin AC-375 because I think they sound better with its thin body. I also have a larger Yamaha Dreadnought that I keep 80/20 strings on because they sound better on that body. Its best to check out several different string sets to get the best strings for your guitar. I have no hard fast rules. But base my decisions what works best with the guitar.

11 minutes ago, kbeaumont said:

I prefer PB strings on my Carvin AC-375 because I think they sound better with its thin body. I also have a larger Yamaha Dreadnought that I keep 80/20 strings on because they sound better on that body. Its best to check out several different string sets to get the best strings for your guitar. I have no hard fast rules. But base my decisions what works best with the guitar.

I have to agree - I think that neither is really better than the other, although one or the other may work better on a particular instrument. 

• Members
2 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

On a side note, do you have a preference Freeman? PB or 80/20?

A long long time ago I recorded some guitars with some strings and posted the clips on a guitar forum.   I and several others listened to them back to back to back and I, at least, decided which ones I liked the best on those particular guitars.   I factored in life of the strings, cost, and the fact that I currently have (I think) a dozen different acoustic guitars.   I have decided that I can get the string gauges I need from two standard sets plus a few singles and I can cover my acoustics, resonators, 12 strings with only a small stash of strings, which I typically order in bulk.

My strings of choice are phosphor bronze Elixer nanowebs, lights on most guitars, mediums on some.   Everyone's mileage will vary, but at least I can point to a reason for mine.

Archived