OT: NGD from the darkside

Stackabones

• Members

Some of y'all have already heard this guitar here, but I thought I'd make it formal. I got it a couple of weeks ago after GASsing for over a year or two for a P90-equipped git. This particular color (blonde) kept going out of stock, so I had AMS email me when it came in. When it finally came it, I ignored it ... but a couple of days I checked again and there was only 1 left in stock. Oh, sweet temptation.

Here's the official NGD From The Darkside clip, I Know Your Name. Details about the recording follow the pix.

The neck is true and quick. The color is gorgeous. I've never had P90s before, and I love these so far. Thet hum when alone -- moreso when near something that casts of humming frequencies (computers, freaky lights, etc). When run together the hum of course disappears, they can get some wonderful tones (it's cool to run both of them with the tone on the neck almost rolled off and the bridge all the way up). Pup selector switch is quiet and I love the possibilities of cranking one pup all the way and rolling back the volume on the other -- an option I haven't had with the typical tele setup. The price on this guitar is a real bargain, and AMS makes it too easy to buy with its 3-payment plan.

100_1029.jpg

100_1065.jpg

100_1035.jpg

100_1034.jpg

100_1033.jpg

100_1048.jpg

Recording details

Rhythm clean shuffle guitar and dirty & slide gits are all the Tele Custom II. Clean git is the Fender Super Champ XD Voice 2. Dirty gits are through a Pignose. This guitar still has the stock 9s on it.

The bass is actually my Peavey Telecopy on the Joe Barden neck pup with everything rolled off and through the SCXS on the Jazz King setting bass dimed & treble zero. That bass thing is essentially an homage to Brewer Phillips, who from what I gather did the same thing in Hound Dog Taylor's band.

The drum is a pandeiro.

All vox are me.

Recorded on Zoom H4n and messed around with in GarageBand.

• Members

Congrats! I have a cheapo squire telecaster with the cheapo pickups and think this guitar is a great deal. It's china made but the frets are dressed nicely and it plays like a dream for what little it cost new. It resides in my step sons room because he dabbles every now and then. Every so often, I'll play it and like it all over again.

• Members

Ahh, P90s. The "one that got away" for me was a blue Gibson Blueshawk for $525 in 2004. Ever since then I've been on the lookout for one, because it's definitely a unique sound. Congrats, Stack! It sounds great on the recording, the clean tone is especially awesome.

Archived