which body shape do you feel is the most versatile?

Stella Joop

• Members

I voted for the OM type. Although I prefer a dread for depth/loudness I like the OM/auditorium for lighter stuff.

is it a universal truth that dreads are generally louder?

the om types ive played are all punvhy as hell and fairly loud...although ive always been a dread guy because i thought they were louder :o:idk: now im not sure about that.

im asking by the way, im not trying to challenge you or anything, but i thought the auditoriums were built to project.

• Members

Dread - It's the Swiss army knife of guitars.

Yup. It seems like the jumbo and the OM have specific applications and are best suited for certain styles of playing. The dreadnought is a jack of all trades, and while it's not necessarily the best choice for some styles, it can handle all styles fairly well.

• Members

Warning! Opinion thread! Danger Will Robinson! Danger Will Robinson!:cop:

Okay, I'll bite. I love da' Jumbo. Loud, Strong bass, great mids, wonderful highs. Balanced and never muddy. Roars when you strum it hard. Fingerpicks rather delicately. Of all my guitars, it's the one I consistently get the best out of.

RT1

• Members

It doesn't matter which body size is most versatile over all. What matters is what is more versatile to the particular person, and that depends on what styles of music they play.

For me, that would be a smaller bodied guitar.

I agree 100%. And.....since I only play country, bluegrass, folk and some blues, the dread does it all for me.

• Members

Warning! Opinion thread! Danger Will Robinson! Danger Will Robinson!
:cop:

Okay, I'll bite. I love da' Jumbo. Loud, Strong bass, great mids, wonderful highs. Balanced and never muddy. Roars when you strum it hard. Fingerpicks rather delicately. Of all my guitars, it's the one I consistently get the best out of.

RT1

Excellent...one less person I'll have to wise-up! :thu:

To the rest of you poor confused souls...the 17" jumbo (particularily if blessed w/ mahogany back and sides) is the Acoustic Guitar of the Gods, the same as the Telecaster is the Electric Guitars if the Gods...

Glad I was able to clear that confusion up for y'all... :p

• Members

I don't know that a perfect all-rounder exists, but if it was me I'd choose a maple-bodied dread. Mine is very clear and ringing; it withstands enthusiastic strumming without overdriving the top, but the note-to-note articulation when arpeggiating or travis-picking is crystalline. It's a little anemic in the bass, but stringing it with mediums helps to bring up the thump.

• Members

My vote goes to the smaller jumbos like the Yamaha LJ6 that I have. It'll take medium strings, has a little wider neck for fingerpicking and will sound powerful and crystal clear when flat picked. It is truly a jack of all trades.

BigAl :)

Archived