Are CDs old hat?

maarkr

• Members

except no one on the street (or in a bar/restaurant/club) will pony up $30 for a flash drive that may or may not have data on it...
;)

:D - but seriously, I don't think a may or may not have data is a big concern (if you are already playing for them there's work product and the same can be said for any media really...or at least if there is valid data on it)

I think it really comes down to a $30 price point may just put the product out of the bulk of the market.

I bet if w look at posts about flash drives we'll find a bunch of people exploring the option. To some extent b/c it seems sort of early-adopter hip/unusual. Unfortunately, it is unusual because of restrictive per-unit cost, especially in small numbers (not like swag at an IBM trade show booth).

That's going down, but as it does we are past the early adopter phase and it won't be, pardon the pun, flashy anymore

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
except no one on the street (or in a bar/restaurant/club) will pony up $30 for a flash drive that may or may not have data on it...
;)

Yes, absolutely.

Those buskers, bar pianists, coffee shop minstrels and Nigadi Glub (Italian for: "Nightclub"), flimflam artist are not trustworthy.

P.S. In my opinion, a compact disc should cost at least $50 USD, or the consumer must assume there is nothing worth a cent on the carrier.

• Moderators

price point is crucial...at $50, especially in the current economy, a CD would have to be a 2 disc set with a qr code to more [read: free] content, and, probably, it should change your oil, wash your car and give you a massage (no happy ending...that costs extra :) )

At $30, for a flash drive, you won't get many takers, plus...no list of songs, no artist picture, no details really at all (hence my comment about no data), no art except maybe a logo if you can afford it. In time, yes this will be acceptable, but even the Generation No Clue kids are going to be wary of buying a thumb drive with no info on it for even $15.

And we all know musicians, as a class, are the scum of the earth, lowlife types who deserve to be vilified...until they get a hit song. Then all is forgiven. :wave:

• Members

Yes, absolutely.

Those buskers, bar pianists, coffee shop minstrels and Nigadi Glub (Italian for: "Nightclub"), flimflam artist are not trustworthy.

P.S. In my opinion, a compact disc should cost at least $50 USD, or the consumer must assume there is nothing worth a cent on the carrier.

The more you post, the more convinced I am you have not the slightest clue how the US economy works. :lol:

I smell the faint odor of Eau d' Von Hagenwill....

• Members

but even the Generation No Clue kids are going to be wary of buying a thumb drive with no info on it for even $15.

I don't think verifiable data is that much of a deal buying music from some guy who performing anyway. CDs can have the same problem, without doing an actual read, you can't really verify if there is junk data

Pirate versions of new major releases or warez you might buy out of a trunk in Thailand sure, but it's not the same environment and the lower-tier performer...there isn't enough cache in the offering itself to really drive that ("ha ha! I told you I was selling my semi-home-brew album with live@starbucks bonus tracks, but really it's just a copy of the movie hackers! -- silly fool!") and with a lower-tier performer the quality is sort of suspect from the get-go.

I think just getting someone to hand you more than a $10 or $20 bill is the sticking pont

• Members

Here a 4th brilliant idea since Americans don't buy USB sticks, which is actually too bad since a 2 GB stick costs about $1.95 and you can have the name of the band printed on USB schtick in neon colors:

4th - Have 300 CD pressed and find out if anybody buys your music, and print "Old Hat" on the insert,

• Moderators

;)

We sell USB jewelry for $25 - $35 and it goes pretty well. It has both our CDs, videos, acoustic versions of some songs, unreleased tunes, still pictures, and high rez images of all the album art, liner, back, etc.

Granted the jewelry is pretty nice and people must be thinking about what they'll put on there after they erase our stuff, but at least they buy them. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

I would say they are old hat. I haven't bought one in years. I listen at home on Spotify and have a classic music collection of my own that I digitized that i can take on my iPhone if so desired.

CD's are still the easiest, most efficient means of selling music at gigs for anyone over say, Mid 30's so if you're a performer you should have some on hand. That said, EVERYONE with an iPhone or Android can VERY easily log on at your gigs and buy your CD to download right then and there very quickly if you make it known to them. All younger people understand how to do this and it comes very natural to them. I've sold many records at gigs this way and a couple friends of mine who gig 250-300 dates a year are exclusively selling this way right from the state and selling a lot of product. You can log into iTunes or Amazon REALLY easily and buy my stuff right and have it on your phone FAST. Why bother with the CD is intermediary that you would just rip to your digital library anyway, if you can get the tunes on your iphone/android right there?

• Members

Compact disc are all but no old hat.

Digital sales rose by 9.2% to US$4.3 billion, more than ten times the digital market value in 2004. Digital sales channels now account for 25% of all trade revenues to record companies. In the US, digital sales account for nearly half of the recorded music market, that is about 45%. More than 30 countries saw double-digit growth rates in digital sales, and 17 markets, including Argentina, Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Singapore, Sweden and UK, saw digital sales grow by more than 40%.

Short: CD are still the larger percentage of the total music sales, except in one country where digital sales are 85%, and CD only 15%.

but that all doesn't matter re: this thread

• Members

CD's are still the easiest, most efficient means of selling music at gigs for anyone over say, Mid 30's so if you're a performer you should have some on hand. That said, EVERYONE with an iPhone or Android can VERY easily log on at your gigs and buy your CD to download right then and there very quickly if you make it known to them. All younger people understand how to do this and it comes very natural to them.

I think you are probably right that there is an age divide.

Where the older demographic is "Then I have to go home and D/L it" with files

the newer gen might be "then I have to take this CD home and rip it"

I thin the D/Lable distribution still has some streamlining, but the "quick pay" through smartphone is just about here - that'll streamline things for that generation of people that already grew up purchasing their entertainment that way (non-physically)

I kind of suspect that for that gen the "bonus material" might be more along the lines of video, etc than liner notes

I suppose "but people want" depends on the demographics of the target market...who your "people" are

• Members

i would never buy a cd or usb from a band i'd just seen at a show if it was anything more than $10. i know you got bills to pay but when a beer costs $4 and i paid a cover to get in, my wallets feeling pretty light.

i'm 21 btw and also buy cd's when i can over mp3's.

the only time i've ever paid more than $15 for a cd was a double live imported disc from my favorite band the red hot chili peppers (live in hyde park) and that was $29 in boston (about 8 years ago)

• Members
would never buy a cd or usb from a band i'd just seen at a show if it was anything more than $10.

:D

There are a lot of things that I wouldn't pay for when I was your age.

However, I have seen people pay $25-35 fairly regularly for a CD when asked to "pay what they want", which has more to do with compensating musicians than acquiring a recording.

Point being... it's nice to have some thing that can trade hands in exchange for money because some folks feel better about "purchasing" something than they do about tipping.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Napoli Stiletto

View Post

People who are not willing to pay $30 for a privat cd don't deserve to earn a living as musicians.

Keep your job as a bank clerk.

People who don't understand the economic realities of the countries of the people to whom they are addressing don't deserve any serious consideration as a commenter on a forum.

Keep your job as a troll, Rudy- or whatever name you're going by this year.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStrat

View Post

People who don't understand the economic realities of the countries of the people to whom they are addressing don't deserve any serious consideration as a commenter on a forum.

Keep your job as a troll, Rudy- or whatever name you're going by this year.

yes yes, lamenting and lamenting, but nothing else.

Ppeople like who haven't sold more then a dozen CDs, don't create job in the music undustry, and don't post marketing facts and music sales figures about the economy they live in, are even more obsolete in a Music Biz forim,

or was this forum renamed to "DIY Music Marketing for Small Potato Artists" recently?

or do you work in the music industry?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Napoli Stiletto

View Post

Worldwide sales of CDs declined in the last ten years. Today in the markets with hi-speed internet access, up to 90% of the sold music is bought digital online. But the compact disc is still an important factor, not at least because in some markets a CD costs $29, and classical CD even more.

Even in China some CD cost $40 bucks, for example small pressing of classical music, some even 50 bucks. And a 24-bit flac download cost also in the US over $30.

Apart from that, you, the owner of the music makes the price when you sell CDs at your concerts.

On Europe CD cost between $15 to $ 45, depending on the genre and profit calculation of the record company. We even have CD boxes where the single CD in it costs $85.

Those artists sell the most who make the music many people like.

That's not different when you are an entertainer who performs in a bar, restaurant and so on.

keep in mind that Sep 2012 to Oct 2012 for this poster = 7 years and as he says "The way of mathematics go curious ways" about that

so figures don't actually have to be self-consistent for him

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowbob

View Post

Quote Originally Posted by guitaruboy

View Post

i would never buy a cd or usb from a band i'd just seen at a show if it was anything more than $10. i know you got bills to pay but when a beer costs $4 and i paid a cover to get in, my wallets feeling pretty light.

i'm 21 btw and also buy cd's when i can over mp3's.

the only time i've ever paid more than $15 for a cd was a double live imported disc from my favorite band the red hot chili peppers (live in hyde park) and that was $29 in boston (about 8 years ago)

biggrin.gif

There are a lot of things that I wouldn't pay for when I was your age.

However, I have seen people pay $25-35 fairly regularly for a CD when asked to "pay what they want", which has more to do with compensating musicians than acquiring a recording.

Point being... it's nice to have some thing that can trade hands in exchange for money because some folks feel better about "purchasing" something than they do about tipping.

I think "when I was your age" kind of goes back to the overall market being heterogeneous and there are different approaches based on target market segment and context -- the "pay what you want" vs a flat price highlights that we can even change what the perceived relationship is (customer vs sponsor)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MargeHowel

View Post

so figures don't actually have to be self-consistent for him

figures for physical carrier go so for $1 to dollar $15 to the retailer, classical track can cost up to $3.5 in digital sales, depending on track lenght and the price set by the IP owners,

bulk (palette) go to retailer for less, and thousand of CDs go to the garbage, because they can't be sold anymore, not even an African dealer would take them for $0.15 USD the piece

Archived