Yammy G-240 Classical...Any Thoughts?

martinipm

• Members

They're asking $129. Is that a deal?

I like Yamaha classicals. I've seen people pay more for this model but I honestly think that $129 is too much. If it's in mint condition, then the price is probably fair.

If you know how to evaluate the tone of a classical guitar, then you'll know for certain if the price is bad, fair or good.

• Members

Yamaha are very good at making laminated tops appear solid...I have to get in there with my watchmakers loupe to make sure sometimes, expecially with the FGs, but I own a whole bunch of Yamaha classical types...some with more classical necks as we know them today, my early `60s models have fatter Dynamic type necks. I`d be very surprised if the G-240 is all solid wood, there is very little info over here on those `70s guitars so it is possible, I`ll see if I can find something on line somewhere.

• Members

from the Yamaha archives...no guarantee it`s 100% accurate though...

SPECIFICATIONS:

G240

No Model Entered...

Year(s) Sold: 1977-81

Original MSRP(US$): $220.00

Top: Spruce

Back / Sides: Rosewood

Neck: Nato

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

• Members

Well, I recently picked up a Yamaha G245S (solid spruce top) in excellent condition for $129.

Just pointing out that it is fairly easy to find good prices on used Yamaha guitars (both classical and acoustic). So unless the G240 completely grabs you with its sound and feel, bargain for a lower price or wait around for a better example.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I'm an original owner of a G240--still have it matter of fact--bought it in 1975... in Painesville, OHIO from Bleckert's Music. Paid more than that even then. . . I assure you that the back and sides are indeed solid rosewood as is also the top it is, indeed, solid spruce.

Rev Fred Standing Bear Davison, Richland Center, WI

• Members

I've read through the entire thread here and just thought I'd throw my two cents in. . . been a working musician 40+ years, though I've concentrated as a bassist of late . . . nonetheless, played that classic for 20+ years two or three songs a night 7-8 times a month and honestly the tone is as good today as ever (I use Savarez strings-high tension) and wouldn't sell it for $500.--- Have you priced a new guitar made with 40 year old Rosewood sitka spruce lately (hint? heard of Gibson's raw material aging process?). . . just a thought when considering just what one of these old "clunkers" is REALLY worth. . .

The *tone*, the warmth of these things. . . ahhhhh. . . makes wonderful recordings. . . what can I say? They sound beautiful to my old hippie rock ears. . . :) thanks for putting up with me. . .

• Members
Most of the posters in this thread are dead and gone. The thread is FIVE YEARS OLD FOR GOD'S SAKE! :philpalm:

A lot less civil than my reply in a six year old thread about Takamine preamps but not undeserved. A simple web search turned up exactly what the poster wanted. Makes me wonder how he ended up here.

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Members

Mine is a G-240 bought used and came with a Yamaha hard case. The serial number is 0071XXXX. From the Yamaha serial number decoder, it would have been made in 1980 or 1990. The sound is on the brassy side with Yamaha S-10 strings more like of a mahogany wood guitar. The soundboard is a dark Spruce laminate, while the back and sides are gorgeously looking Rosewood closer to Brazilian with those very wide random streaks (Indian has more uniform linear and finer streaks). Back and sides are laminates most likely of Asian mahogany inner layers. Grains pattern on inner and outer layers don't match. I initially bought this to be a birthday gift for a close friend who lost his guitar but decided to keep it instead.     

Archived