VOM 22 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, November 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As usual some great submissions for all the folks, still working my way through them.

Here's my submission for the month. I love this great old traditional tune, something a little different than my usual jazz standards.

[YOUTUBE]oYQgzBCOwWU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

CCarnucci- You have a very timeless style man.. I'm into it, and I can't get your words or your voice out of my head now.

Sangemon- Love the bluesy guitar

Rhancox- awesome colab.. That was just great.

Garthman- Great voice and great cover

Tbryson- alot of good old school type of songs today. I'm digging it.

Melodeus- I like the dark and disguised way that you play this tune man.

Stack - The dude abides. I was still for the whole song. Record for me I think. Atmospheric is the best way for me to describe the tune. good stuff

Fussen- I like how you kept your voice.. I can't help but mimic Vedder anytime I try to sing one of his songs.

Guitarist- Great jam man.. I was feeling it. I need some guinness now,

Mojo/blackhat I really liked that. It's a great song that would be fun to sing with a group of pals I think.

Starrshine - Very nice composition.

G6 - As usual.. great cover man. You are so talented.

Fatback - Now I want to mess around with drop d

Frets- That johnson sounds amazing.

Illini - love your vulnerable and honest voice.

Michael- Amazing the power that women hold over us,, I, too, have found myself speechless before them. Great tune.

Hype- I don't know if I have said this before, but your pacing and voice remind me of Mick Jagger.

Ts - You work overtime on that squawkbox.. there is a lot going on in your music and I dig it.

• Members

Song I wrote a couple years ago. I was going for more of a rock sound my my singer went for more of a Country vocal.

http://www.box.net/shared/c64634a7h4

I Don't Care

You say you found someone else yeah yeah
you say I'm better off by myself yeah yeah
you say you're having so much fun
so damn happy that we are done
when you gonna realize I don't care?
yeah yeah yeah

CHORUS
cause I remember a few years ago
when I wanted you more then you'ld ever know
times have changed and I've moved on
don't even miss that your gone
cause when you look at me
I see all the things I've never seen
you say you want another chance
if it's alright with you I think I'm gonna pass

So now you're all settled in
got yourself a new best friend
I really don't care about your new sweetheart
or how you let him hit it from the start
as long as you're gone I don't care
yeah yeah yeah

CHORUS
BREAK

So now you got your ring
I got an invitation for next spring
I hope you have a great wedding
and he deservers just what he's getting
sorry but I can't be there
cause I don't care

• Members

riovine I'm not a big Jazz guy but I really enjoyed that one. Very cleanly played.
phoniclab - Loved the rythm of the song really had a great feel.
jandrew - I didn't know what to expect being a tough song to sing like the original I loved how you didn't bother trying but made it more haunting then the original.
Okieslims - Sick and all I liked the vocals but some of the tempo changes seemed jarring. Your voice had a J. Morrison feel.
TSMusic - Impressive strumming speed my hand would ache for days.
hypcollector - liked the song but found the reverb a little distracting. I think reverb is best when you don't notice it.
illinihoops vocals we a little tough to here but nice rendition.
Frets99 - the Johnson sounds great!
fatback - great playing I like the first part alot.
G6120 - great playing great singing and great job recording everything blended nicely. So good in fact I think I'm going to sit down with the tab of that one this afternoon.
guitarist21 - great stuff how many instrument do you play?
FussenKuh - I kind of lost track of PJ after Vitology never heard the song but eliked it.
Stackabones - had a hyme kind of feel to it.

• Members

All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray. I wonder what I should submit for today's VOM.

Too bad John Phillips had to get some posthumous bad press recently. Well, I dig this tune anyway with all of its call-and-response chorusing, even if he did have an incestuous relationship with his daughter. He was never a serious candidate for model citizen of the year award even before these latest revelations.

And on that cheery note, I give you...

California Dreaming

[YOUTUBE]_6Wftg6tCJE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

TSMusic - Impressive strumming speed my hand would ache for days.

Yeah, I've already had my right forearm start cramping up about 1/2 way through that one. I ran through it and another arm killer from my second CD a number of times over the past few weeks to get up to speed since I haven't been practicing a lot.

Thanks!!

Tony

• Members

a boom-chick pickin tune that came out of a couple chromatic voicings.. short & simple.

i haven't played it enough to know exactly what i want to do with it yet, but here it is in draft (& a little messy)

i've done 2 of these & i keep getting missing frames on youtube.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Be Still

I wrote and recorded this song this afternoon. Gitane D500 in drop-D tuning. Zoom H4n. I think this may be the first tune I've ever recorded while standing up. This took two or three takes to get down, for I was writing it as I was recording it.

Elegant in it's seeming simplicity. Very beautiful and moving.

• Members

OK, I"ve been busy and otherwise distracted but I'm in. FOr our upcoming gig we were supposed to do Rattlin' Bones by Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson but it got scrapped. It's a fun tune to play and appropriate for Halloween maybe but we've had a change in tune toward more Christmas holiday-oriented stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKzR0ayYCQU

• Members

*standing O*

Now THAT's a good time. I swear, Ellen, I envy you sometimes. I wish I had had the guts at your age to do half the stuff that you've done.

amen to dat.

There were two standouts in the VOM today in my estimation. Ellen's was one of them. Just loved this.

The other was Riovine's Just a Closer Walk with Thee. Terrific performance.

Congratulations to everyone for making this possible and so enjoyable. and most of all for making this forum something more than just a place to find out which strings really suck the most.

• Members

Thanks to everyone that has endured my Beatles stuff...

C.Carnucci...Beautiful...you have a soft smooth style

Sangemon...Never heard that before. Good singing.

rhancox...Love Moody Blues. Great collab and harmony.

garthman...Beautiful sounding 12 string.

melodeous...Now that was cool. Yesterday is a great song...when I graduate from strumming I want to do that

Stack...Good going. The vocal seemed more distant than your usual recordings but as always very good.

Fussenkuth...You always impress. Good job on your buddy singing too!!

guitarist 21 ...Yor are really out there doing it...so glad you shared that with us.

blackhat...Guy Clark. Very nice playing and singing!!

• Members

Last call, but I'm going to make it, assuming youtube processes this. This is a tune by Agustin Barrios called "Julia Florida". A couple months ago there was a thread on Barrios and I requested a tune that might be a little more in my ability level than most of the stuff out there. Riffmeister was kind enough to suggest this one, although it might still be out of my wheel house. Anyway, here's my shot at it:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived