VOM 22 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, November 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Members
Chris: Beautiful and heartfelt. Bet your wife loves it!

Sangemon: Great recording. Sounds like I'm sitting in a living room with you.

Rhancox and Gil: I love collaborations! This turned out great. Your voices sound really good together.

Garthman: Natalie Merchant is one of my favorite vocalists of all time and I can honestly say that you did this beautiful song justice. Great work.

tbryson: Can't go wrong with the Beatles. :thu: I liked the effect of the dual vocal tracks.

Mel: Beautiful. Is this your arrangement? It's superb. Sounds like something Pete Huttlinger would do.

Stack: You wrote that song and recorded it in a day? Wow! I really liked the repetitive nature of the accompaniment (and the drop D). It's a little different than what you usually do but it suits the song very nicely. Are you familiar with Taize music? That's what this sounds like to me.

Fussenkuh: Can we just talk about how much better you've gotten since your first VOM? Wow. It's so great to see your playing progress.

BlackHatHunter: How do you like that mando? I'm sort of in the market for a new one and that's one of the ones I was looking at.

Starrshine: Beautiful! Sounds really good on the 12.

Gil: I think your voice sounds best when accompanied by fingerpicking. It feels really intimate and personal. I'm a fan!

Fatback: Nice doodling. There's some really solid ideas in there that you could totally develop into individual songs.

Frets: First of all, great mustache. Second, I love how that guitar sounds with the drop D, very big and jangly. Third, I loved the ending. Thank you for the wisdom from your oooooo fingers.

illini, my fellow college basketball enthusiast: Bright Eyes rocks, great song choice. The mighty iPhone recording app strikes again! I can't believe how good the sound is out of that thing.

MM: Great harmonies! I listened to them like 3 times, I liked them so much. How do they sound when you do them live with the band?

hypcollector: If my fully-rested, middle-of-the-day voice was as distinctive and on-pitch as yours, I would be a happy singer. Awesome.

TSMusic: Certainly not a lullaby! I love the energy of this tune. Nice job!

Okieslims: Sometimes you don't need a lot of time to get your point across. :thu:

jandrew: Wow! You totally changed up the vibe of the song, and I liked it a lot. It feels like a country ballad; I love the downtempo feel.

phoniclab: I love finding stuff I worked on years ago. It often gives me ideas for new stuff. I dug this song, and felt like it had a lot of continuity despite the verses being written 20 years apart from each other.

riovine: You win my favorite song of the VOM award.

missedmyexit: I dug country sound! This sounds like this could be an uptempo rocker by Montgomery Gentry or something.

Q: Great arrangment. It sounds like it was written for guitar all along.

Scodiddly: Your low voice (almost Johnny Cash-like) is perfect for this tune. Nice job!

extollo: Some mighty fine picking you got going on there! A very enjoyable listen, despite the missing frame. Great guitar sound too. What are you using there?

kwak: I love your voice, man. It feels like something off of the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack. I also love the background "vocals" and other various noises applied by the kids.

Chordchunker: Some mighty fine picking over here too! Wow! I loved this. I loved the slappy, bluesy, percussive tone of the AMI. Great job. You're tied with riovine for my favorite song of the VOM.

Gthom: I'm not sure you embedded the video quite right, but once I dug it out of there I really enjoyed it. This is a really pretty tune, and I'd love to hear more by this Agustin guy. Any recommendations of what I could listen to?

Thanks to everyone who participated. This VOM was awesome, as always! Glad I could be some small part of it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been exchanging PMs with Ontological throughout the day, and he expressed interest in joining the VOM (I did do a little bit of suggesting). He was having a little bit of trouble getting his submission posted, so I'm helping out. I hope I got this right, Deric. Original tune.

[YOUTUBE]KpO6KujYUwc[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

illini, my fellow college basketball enthusiast:
Bright Eyes rocks, great song choice. The mighty iPhone recording app strikes again! I can't believe how good the sound is out of that thing.

Thanks, yah Bright Eyes is one of my favorites definitely. Great catalog of music. As far as college basketball enthusiasm I just back from the library at 1:30am and its time to watch the almost meaningless Illinois exhibition game from earlier today online. Its gonna be a long night lol, oh yeah and I have to finish studying at some time after that.

• Members

Only have time this morning for some, so I'll get to it...have to fill in the blanks later....

ChrisCarnucci...very nice, excellent expression of you feelings.

Sangamon......."If I were you're Mama, I'd run out on you"....ouch!
A little "Dylanish" this month...liked it.

Rhancox.....Nice collaboration...great song.

Garthman...one of my wife's fav bands...nice job

Tbryson....Great old Beatle tune...keep them coming.

Melodeous...Well done, I do have to say I'm not a "flange" fan, but the Breedlove sounded great.

Stakabones...Gee, I could hardly tell you were standing up....nice job.

Fussenkuh...and another of my wifes fav bands...keep up that fingerpickin...its gets easier with practice.

guitarist21...What a great way to spend some quality music time...I was actually at a Bluegrass festival this Sunday....wonderful sound

BlackHatHunter...nice job...always like the addtion of a mandolin

Starrshine...love the sound of your Guild...funny how I can tell without even being told...nice job

G6120...a real favorite of mine, and you did it justice.

Fretts....as usual, you cut me up....I can tell you are really getting into playing with your
Johnson...best song to date!

Illinihoops....Nice job with a "basic" song.

Michael Martin...very polished. One day I'm going to have to try to do that.

Hypocollector...good job...love the opening lines of the song.

TSMusic....You're a rolling storm.

Okieslims...I sure hope Mama comes home....nice song.

JAndrew...Great song...had forgotten all about it...my favorite entry this month.

I got a huge schedule today, but will get back to the others as soon as I can.

• Members

Chriscarnucci: You definitely scored last night - could I be more crass? :)

Sangemon: Wow, thanks for mentioning the gear you use to record. This is so clear. Oh yeah, and great song, too. I love Blaze Foley's song writing. :D

Rhancox: It sounds so tight, like you guys have been singing together for years!

Garthman: First of all, great song choice. I love the clam quality of your vocals. Great job!

tbryson: It's OK if you do all Beatles, since I don't ever do them... you and I, we got ourselves a good, reasonable average :D

Melodeous: Your playing makes me want to get a Breedlove :) Great arrangement!

Stackabones: Whether you do stuff in your own vein or step outside of your comfort zone, your stuff always rocks.

Fussenkuh: Your fingerpicking technique is just fine, friend!

guitarist21: As a Celt myself, I obviously dig this sort of music. That lefty fiddle player... freaks me out :) Great stuff!

Starrshine: Your playing and composition both make me want to buy a 12-stringer!

G6120: Great fingerpicking on this tune, and your voice is spot on. Great job on a beautiful song.

Fatback: Sometimes, doodling is the most creative thing we do. A great example of that here.

Frets: Keith Urban really knows how to find those great hooks. I loved that (deceptively) simple, descending riff since the first time I heard the tune on the radio. And the speech at the end... priceless :)

illini: How good this recording is through an iPhone almost overshadows the good job you did. And this is from someone who doesn't like Apple products, no less :)

Michael Martin: I always love your stuff, and you nailed it this time again. The voice is so distinctive, the lyrics betray an under the surface vulnerability that is very attractive and creates a beautiful canvas for the song to evolve. Great stuff, man.

hypcollector: Another fabulous original song contributed through the VOM. Wow, I wish I had that sort of talent!

TSMusic: You, sir, have impressive strummin' stamina! :)

Okieslims: Short and to the point. Love it.

jandrew: I hear the band is pissed because your version is tons better than theirs!

phoniclab: so much creativity on this forum. Very inspiring stuff!

riovine: I could listen to you play for hours. You know more chords in that one song than I know, period! :)

missedmyexit: You guys need to stop writing all these cool tunes. Seriously :D

Queepeg: I don' tknow what your name means, but it's great for scrabble! Is that your arrangement of the song? I dug it.

Scodiddly: I need to learn more Tom Waits tunes. Thanks for the very well crafted reminder.

extollo: I love this sort of music. I wish I could play it!

kwakatak: I always dig it when the kids make an impromptu addition to the song. Interesting tune I didn't know. I'll have to check it out.

Chordchunker: Oh how I so wish I could play in that style. Wow.

Gthom: You made me want to buy a gut-string guitar!

• Members

Thanks for the kind words, folks! It certainly is a treat to be off of dial-up and be able to listen to all of this wonderful music! The wife and I spent yesterday morning enjoying listening to all of it. Then, I had to run off to my regular Sunday jam. (Sure wish some of you were there. There is a guy there of the theory if ya can't play well, play loud.) Anyway, have to run off to work, and I will give a report on the tunes we liked the best! They were all great!!!!:thu:
Bob

• Members

I don't get a chance to listen to much of these VOMIT because a number are youtube vids and those are normally blocked at work (and at home I spend my time practicing to get better rather than listening to other people :p). But lately it's been unblocked (thought now Soundclick is :idk:) so I've checked out some of them and WOW!!!!!

A couple of comments on the one's I've listened to so far.

Chriscarnucci: - straight from the heart for that one..great playing and singing
Rhancox: - I love that song and you did a fantastic job on it
kwakatak great playing and great backing vocals :D
guitarist21: that was great! Looks like you all were having a blast too
Frets: Dude I know you can play but I didn't know you had golden pipes too..great vocals
Ontological: that was a hilarious opening and then a great song. Acoustic are best in the loo eh?
gthom: very pretty tune
riovine: lovely!

that's all I have time for now...well except one more listen to guitarist21's band :thu:
I need to take a shot at this too...so I can get some feedback on my acoustic playing...not sure I can do 1 take though ...maybe 10 or 20?:facepalm

• Members

Gthom:
I'm not sure you embedded the video quite right, but once I dug it out of there I really enjoyed it. This is a really pretty tune, and I'd love to hear more by this Agustin guy. Any recommendations of what I could listen to?

Thanks! Agustin Barrios was a Paraguayan composer/guitarist in the early-mid 1900's. His most famous tune is probably "La Catedral" but you can find quite a few others on youtube. John Williams has been a big proponent of Barrios, so there's a lot by him. Here's a couple others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StxpWgfhjIg

Oh, and great job everyone I've heard so far. It's more fun listening to you all than a bunch of youtube vids of the pros. :thu:

• Members

well guys,it's been a while...and i know i'm a couple days late,but here's one anyhow...

Train To Birmingham by John Hiat,played in the style of Cross Canadian Ragweed

It's good to see you back around, but I think this is just a little too late to be included in this VOM. (Sounds good, btw.)

Please, check out the VOM Archive Site and register. Since you've participated in the past, you'll be able to register right now and take advantage of some really cool features that Ohioarrow has developed -- file hosting, absentee posting, etc.

Next VOM is Dec 13. Hope to see ya there! :)

• Members

Hey everyone! As usual, I'm a bit behind when it comes to catching up on the VOM goodness. There's a great collection of talent in this group spanning all different kinds of genres of music. As usual, the performances never disappoint. So, thank you all for the entertainment and thanks for giving me the opportunity to participate.

And, on that note, thanks to everyone who took the time to check out my video this month and thanks a bunch for the kind words :) Feedback, whether complements or constructive criticism is always welcomed and appreciated... and always encourages me to keep practicing. So thanks again for that :thu:

• Members

Only have time this morning for some, so I'll get to it...have to fill in the blanks later....

ChrisCarnucci...very nice, excellent expression of you feelings.

Sangamon......."If I were you're Mama, I'd run out on you"....ouch!

A little "Dylanish" this month...liked it.

Rhancox.....Nice collaboration...great song.

Garthman...one of my wife's fav bands...nice job

Tbryson....Great old Beatle tune...keep them coming.

Melodeous...Well done, I do have to say I'm not a "flange" fan, but the Breedlove sounded great.

Stakabones...Gee, I could hardly tell you were standing up....nice job.

Fussenkuh...and another of my wifes fav bands...keep up that fingerpickin...its gets easier with practice.

guitarist21...What a great way to spend some quality music time...I was actually at a Bluegrass festival this Sunday....wonderful sound

BlackHatHunter...nice job...always like the addtion of a mandolin

Starrshine...love the sound of your Guild...funny how I can tell without even being told...nice job

G6120...a real favorite of mine, and you did it justice.

Fretts....as usual, you cut me up....I can tell you are really getting into playing with your

Johnson...best song to date!

Illinihoops....Nice job with a "basic" song.

Michael Martin...very polished. One day I'm going to have to try to do that.

Hypocollector...good job...love the opening lines of the song.

TSMusic....You're a rolling storm.

Okieslims...I sure hope Mama comes home....nice song.

JAndrew...Great song...had forgotten all about it...my favorite entry this month.

I got a huge schedule today, but will get back to the others as soon as I can.

Here's the rest......

Fatback.....sounds like you were having fun....so did I, really good job!

Riovine.....very nice departure...well done.

Missedmyexit....Great lyrics, I might have put them to Lennon's "Well Well Well" tune....just to give the words some real punch...nice job

Queequeg...Sweet...couldn't help but sing along.

Scodiddly...not bad for a 1st vid...I'm still trying to build up the nerve.

One question though...where was the hat, cigarette, and bourbon?

Extollo...slow mo....pretty cool. Liked it.

Kwak...I'll give it a 8.3....because it would have sounded FANTASTIC on a MARTIN D35!!!

Chordchunker....very nice indeed...got to teach it to myself.

Gthom...I think I have a pair of "jammies" just like those..."JCPenny's?"

Oh yeah, the song....nice job!

Ontological....I sure hope there is a sequel to "Back to the Bathroom"...You could call it...the "Flush Session".

Show a little guitar next time...not that you aren't a cool looking guy or anything, but its nice to watch you play too....Nice job...and keep them coming...I'll keep the bathroom light on for you!

• Members

Well another outstanding session everyone! Sorry it took so long to get in my comments but I've been busier than.......well I'm sure you've all heard the standard jokes :)

Loved everyones stuff! What a great group!

Thanks for all the nice comments. It's so nice to have people to share with!

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. I'll be spending a whole week on my sister-in-laws farm...lots of good downtime for guitar playing and song writing.

Well here is my thoughts...hope I didn't miss anyone....

Sangemon

• Members

This was another one of those weeks that went screaming by too darn fast but as always, I wanted to thank all that came, saw, and listened. I've been listening to the other performances during the week as time permitted and as always it was a great job by every one.

Tony

• Members
Ok, I want to play next month! What do I need to do? Please send me a PM, or point me in the right direction, and I'll do my best to get something fresh up for everyone.

Cheers,

Glenn

Record something. Link it (via soundclick, youtube, etc) in the VOM thread that I'll start here at HCAG on Dec 13. That's about it. :)

For more info, visit http://vom.infocusreviews.com/.

Look forward to seeing you!

Archived