VOM 22 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, November 9, 2009

Stackabones

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

chriscarnucci Comments:

I wrote this song after a year long medical treatment that damn near killed me. By the time it was over, I was starting to look like Gollum. It wasn't till after the treatment(and I started to feel better) that I realized I wasn't the man I saw in the mirror (even though it was who I saw there for the previous 12 months). Let me tell you it's a very, very odd experience to see a stranger staring back at you. And I realized then, that this was who my wife lived with all that time. So in spirit of the Thanksgiving Holidays and being thankful this submission is dedicated to Veronica! I don't know what I would do without her in my life!

Absentee Post from:
chriscarnucci

Title:
A Shadow of the Man

Credits:
Christian Carnucci

Sangemon Comments:

I'm on vacation this week so I recorded and posted this last Sunday.

The song is 'Officer Norris' by Blaze Foley. You can find the original on his album, 'Live At The Austin Outhouse'.

I used my HD-35 with the DTar Wavelength Multisource pickup I installed recently. I love this pickup.

For the vocal I used the AKG Perception 220 LD condenser.

Mic and pickup went to the Apogee Duet and I recorded and mixed it with Logic Express on a MacBook Pro.

Enjoy!

Absentee Post from:
Sangemon

Title:
Officer Norris

Credits:
Blaze Floey

rhancox Comments:

I wasn't going to post anything because my 'studio' is moving this week, and I know I submitted this particular tune in last month's VOM but Gil, of g6120 fame, contacted me, a week or so ago, and said he liked the song so much that he wanted to add some harmonies to it.

So I sent him my masters and he did the rest.

Pardon me for saying so, but this version is absolutely miles above what I had done on my own. Not only did he add his vocals to it but he added his touch of technical expertise and even put together the HD video.

So, this is just as much Gil's VOM submission for the month, and maybe more so, than mine.

Enjoy.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Story In Your Eye

Credits:
The Moody Blues

garthman Comments:

10,000 Maniacs arrived on the music scene of the mid 80's like a breath of fresh air. Excellent, well-played music with the enchanting vocals of the young (17 when she joined the band) and beautiful Natalie Merchant who also wrote most of the (often socially observant and occasionally biting) song lyrics.

The song 'Verdi Cries' (Natalie's vocal originally accompanied by piano and viola) appeared on their 1987 album 'In My Tribe'.

Here is my humble offering picked on my 12 string and recorded with Audacity with a touch of reverb via my computer mike in one take.

PS. For anyone who missed them here is a link to an early live vid of their song 'My Mother The War'. Enjoy (especially Natalie's sassy performance)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CI7IuB8ZUY

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
Verdi Cries

Credits:
10,000 Maniacs / Natalie Merchant

tbryson Comments:

Another Beatles song...yeah I know...you will just have to endure my stuff. Unless I get thrown out. I capoed this at the 5th fret and recorded a harmony track to go along with it... just like John and Paul don't ya think!

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
Its only love

Credits:
Beatles

Melodeous Comments:

Breedlove Focus concert with LR Baggs dual source plugged to a Fender Acoustasonic set on Flange dialed in at one. Recorded with a Zoom H4 tripod mounted 3 feet high and 5 feet from the amp. Fred Kelly yellow Speed Pick and fingernails. D'Addario PB .012 lights 1 week old.

Absentee Post from:
Melodeous

Title:
Yesterday

Credits:
Paul McCartney

• Members

Hi all! Another month down and another VOM to enjoy! Looking forward to hearing/seeing this month's entries...

Title: Just Breathe

Credits: Pearl Jam

This month's entry marks my first VOM collaboration effort. From the first time my best friend Patrick introduced me to this song a bit over a month ago, I knew I had to learn to play it. At the time I joked with him saying, once I learned to play it, he'd have to sing it...

As straight forward as the chord progression is, it was a bit of a challenge for me since I've never been overly adept at the whole finger picking thing. With a bit of practice under my belt, one evening, I grabbed my old Yammi beater, hit the record button on my camera and let the virtual tape roll. This video (botched notes and all) was the result...

With the guitar recorded, it was time for some vocals. True to his word, Patrick sat down, grabbed a mic for the first time, and tried out his vocal chords. After a few takes and a touch of added reverb, the collaboration was complete. To that end, I'd say this is a half VOM1T tune: 1 take guitar, 3 take vocals ;) This video also marks Patrick's worldwide Interwebs singing debut... now we just have to wait for the recording deal offers to start rolling in :lol:

[YOUTUBE]REp2IKNE99s[/YOUTUBE]

Hope you enjoy it!

Chris

• Members

I'm sorry I've been so absent from VOM lately... school is consuming my life. But hopefully this will do? This is a new acoustic/folk/bluegrass/Celtic/awesome group I've been playing with in Boston lately, and this performance is from this past Wednesday. One of the fiddlers is an expert in Scottish music (and a lefty!), the other in Irish music, the mando/bodhran player knows all about American bluegrass, the guitarist is from Slovenia and knows a ton of Eastern European music, and then there's me on bass. We have a good time. Can't wait to hear everyone's music!

[YOUTUBE]fu51-3lMnkM&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Blind Faith was a short lived British supergroup with Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech. They only put out one self titled album in 1969 and this was one of the hits from that album.

I've been attempting to play this song ever since I saw a chord sheet for it in 1977 that a cousin brought home from her guitar lesson. For years I tried playing it with a flatpick. Then in 2007 I started finger picking the song and played a finger picked version at my first open mic in June 2007.

This is a 2009 update of my finger picked version of this classic Blind faith song.

My first ever recorded version was made in 1982.

Guitar is 1997 Martin HD28-VR in standard tuning with capo on 3rd fret.

[YOUTUBE]hFW8DVCCJFM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Here's my entry to todays VOM.

Its called 'Doodling in Drop D' (at the moment). Its an original but I'll make no claim for its originality. It came about because of about three activities.

1. Messing about with a drop d lesson.

2. Experimenting using a capo on just 5 strings at the second fret.

3. Inspiration after a discussion on HCAG about Dave Graham. That would be the short sections messing around on the bass line to try and make it sound exotic.

Its played on my trusty Crafter and recorded on a little computer mic thingee. A little clearer but still a little hissy.

So here we have it

Doodling in Drop D

Thanks for listening

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=fatback/Doodling_in_drop_d_capoed.mp3

Phil

I'm afraid my Johnson over=shadowed me on this one... :o

Edit: I mentioned this on the Youtube site but I forgot to mention it here. This is a Keith Urban tune called "Only You Can Love Me This Way". If you're not familiar with C&W or Urban, you might have thought I was really talented.... :o

[YOUTUBE]A7S2AfLcptU[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

g'morning...woman at home.....original song/vom1t/seagull(gets a mention)/zoom/morning-coffee voice.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=8325906

woman at home

i'll give you ten good reasons

why loving me ain't easy

at times i want to be left all alone

times like these make me mellow

she says i'm a fine fellow

she's my woman at home

i'll be waiting for the big crash

my sweet love and me we're so attached

almost every night she makes me moan

i'd rather play it with a trio

in front of people i don't really know

she's my woman at home

although you'll see us fight

worry about things that just might

expose ourselves to the light

she's my woman at home

late at night when i'm lonely

my girl will come and hold me

i get a good felling in my bones

the next morning's such a fine day

pick up my gull, you know i gotta play

she's my woman at home

she still looks at me and smiles

hangs in there through all the trials

she's been there mile after mile

she's my woman at home

• Members

Hi

First give an apology - my pc is running very slowly at the moment so I am only able to get shortish snippets of the you tube entries. However I am giving them some time to load so those snippets are uninterupted.

Chris - great start to the vom. Introduction very relaxing and the lyrics moving.

Sangemon - never heard this song before - enjoyed it. You did that catchy number last month didn't you on tea bagging.

Rhancox / Gil - having a lot of problems getting this listened to. Will try again later.

Garthman

Lovely playing - fits beautifully with the relaxed singing. Very late night early morning listening - great.

Tbryson

I first learned to play this song so many years ago. (I don't play it now) Don't put your self down. I thought you did something to manage the harmonies. Put another track in and put in some percussion as well. Seriously good - its difficult to emulate fab four with just one of you Remember John Lennon had something done to his voice to get his sound. :thu: Play on.

Phil

• Members

Melodeous - I generally don't go much on Yesterday - lyrics sappy and sentimental in my opinion. However what you demonstrated so ably is the fact that the melody is seriously special. Great rendition

Stack - very gospel kind of lyrics very simple tune. Less is more (again) Not sure if I finding it desturbing/moving or relaxing. Its got from me an emotional reaction. I'll have to play it again to settle on what kind. Very good

Phil

• Members

Another month has come around. The song that I am performing this month is from my first CD which is titled 'Forgotten Walls'. In the spirit of the day, I did do this in one take (well quick one to make sure things were working right). I did a second full recording but the first one is the one I liked best.

This song has a pretty strong Celtic influence to it. It's been a favorite of mine to play and of a lot of folks that have heard it. And it ain't no lullaby either. It will get the toes a tapping and the blood a moving.

So kick back and enjoy, Devil Under The Table!

Tony

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Melodeous - I generally don't go much on Yesterday - lyrics sappy and sentimental in my opinion. However what you demonstrated so ably is the fact that the melody is seriously special. Great rendition

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I agree with your sentiment and, for me, it's the melody that's enduring.

• Members

Rhancox/Gil

I tried again with you tube and glad I did. Not much really to add except wow.

Guitarist 21

I'd love to play one of those. Ever tried a teachest bass? Great music from the band. Really enjoyed it.

Fussen

Never heard that before. Great picking

Blackhat

I'm sitting here listening to your song and looking at the pictures of your home town. Ummmm I've never been to the US and this looks kind of familiar - European almost. Then the picture of the Lorient festival and the penny dropped. There was a time when my family and I spent about five years out of eight holidaying on that coast in Brittany, hiring a static caravan and that kind of thing. Absolutely beautiful part of the world, bought it all back. The song and the playing on all the instruments great. Going to listen and more importantly look at that submission again.

Phil

• Members

Title: 3am

Credit: Rob Thomas (Matchbook Twenty)

Link: http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=jandrew/3am.mp3

This is one I've recently started working on ... rough but ready for a first crack at the mic. Recorded this morning -- me and my Larrivee on the couch, the H2 on the coffee table. Now to take some more muscle relaxants, try to find a comfortable position, and listen to the VOM1T.

cheers,

andrew

• Members

I have missed a few VOM but here is an original called Autumn Song that I have been working on this week. This is a VOMIT, altho, I have recorded other versions earlier to listen to it. Recorded with my H2 using my Guild D212-12.

Bob

I enjoyed listening to this. I'm getting more into instrumentals myself recently. t

Phil

• Members

Ok, here's my submission this month. It's an original I wrote called Other Men. I wrote the first 2 verses 20 years ago when I used to go out dancing quite a bit, but long forgot about it. Recently a friend of mine asked me to play it and it got a new life. With only 2 verses I thought it was kind of short, so I added a third verse that also modernizes it. In a way, you can say it took me 20 years to write this song.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=phoniclab/Other_Men.mp3

Archived