I thought it might be neat to have a headless acoustic

musicdog400

• Members

Ha ha. I like your humor. I guess it really isn't headless.

I've heard of one other builder who uses the technique of a rod going from the neck to the tail.

What's the downside? Seems like it would eliminate the need for neck resets.

The downside is the tension is no longer on the top, which means inferior sound. This started out as a cigar box, that is why there is a support rod.

I think it would reduce the need for neck reset since neck reset is all about the neck / body joint.

Some things don't need a be be redesigned....

I have lurked around here long enough to know I am kinda pushing it here, discussing unorthodox ideas. There are some really good reasons for some traditions. Then others are just plain dogma. Sacred cows make great hamburger. :)

• Members

I am trying to design a headless archtop and I am stuck, I can't think of a way to do it yet that doesn't have some undesirable side effect.

Why?

Most of the best innovations solve a problem and don't just do something for the sake of doing it.

The head stretches the string to pitch(tuning machine). If you want a headless design you have to come up with a method for stretching to, and maintaining string pitch. It would probably be helpful if it allows for periodic tuning.

• Members

Why?

Some people prefer to stick with convention. There are many good reasons to do this, and your chance of success is much higher.

Other people reflexively ask "Why not" instead of "why". The reasons for these differences likely like in the deeper structures of our personality, and our life experiences, and which stage we are at.

Some people (Alan Holdsworth comes to mind) view a headless solution as solving certain problems. So I don't really understand the assertion that a headless approach can never solve any problem.

If you want a headless design you have to come up with a method for stretching to, and maintaining string pitch. It would probably be helpful if it allows for periodic tuning.

Sorry but I am not understanding your idea. I have several headless instruments, all which are tunable and hold their tuning acceptably. I am not alone in wondering about headless acoustic instruments (see here).

I am somewhat new to instrument building and welcome any thoughts or criticisms.

• Members

The downside is the tension is no longer on the top, which means inferior sound. This started out as a cigar box, that is why there is a support rod.

I don't understand why the tension would differ on the top. You still need the same amount of tension between nut and saddle to maintain pitch.

The only difference should be where the force is distributed along the neck.

The traditional design puts a "fulcrum" at the neck joint, but your design distributes the load between neck joint and tail.

Why would the forces on the saddle/top differ?

• Members

Some people prefer to stick with convention. There are many good reasons to do this, and your chance of success is much higher.

Other people reflexively ask "Why not" instead of "why". The reasons for these differences likely like in the deeper structures of our personality, and our life experiences, and which stage we are at.

Some people (Alan Holdsworth comes to mind) view a headless solution as solving certain problems. So I don't really understand the assertion that a headless approach can never solve any problem.

Sorry but I am not understanding your idea. I have several headless instruments, all which are tunable and hold their tuning acceptably. I am not alone in wondering about headless acoustic instruments (see
here
).

I am somewhat new to instrument building and welcome any thoughts or criticisms.

I'm not against innovation, quite the contrary, I just don't see the point. If the objective is to be unique that's your prerogative, it just adds a complication that yields no benefit I'm aware of. I'm not being negative, I just don't get it.:idk:

Your design, and the design your video link show are not headless, both just move the head to a different location.

• Members

I don't understand why the tension would differ on the top. You still need the same amount of tension between nut and saddle to maintain pitch.

The only difference should be where the force is distributed along the neck.

The traditional design puts a "fulcrum" at the neck joint, but your design distributes the load between neck joint and tail.

Why would the forces on the saddle/top differ?

Normally the top is tensioned up by the pull of the strings, making it a more resonant (drum-like) surface. If you remove this and only have the down force of the strings on the bridge saddle it's not the same physics.

The same effect can be seen with solid-body electrics. Neck-through designs used to be thought of as having more sustain, but a hard neck bolted to a resonant body beats them hands down in my experience. Tom Anderson is a big believer in this.

The biggest potential tone issue that I see with the design is that the bridge is soooo close to the edge of the top, which isn't good for driving the top. I still like the idea and applaude ANY attempt to advance the craft!!! :thu:

• Members

The bridge is too close to the edge of the guitar to drive the soundboard efficiently. That's why the guitar sounds tinny in the video. It looks cool though...but give up asking reasonable questions about design.

This is definitely an example of form over function.

• Members

Normally the top is tensioned up by the pull of the strings, making it a more resonant (drum-like) surface. If you remove this and only have the down force of the strings on the bridge saddle it's not the same physics.

Seems like break angle over the saddle should still be the driving factor.

My guess is that the *static* load on the top is the same for either design, but the dynamic forces differ when you pluck the strings. The neck with a joint at the body must have some sort of rubber band effect -- sort of the difference between plucking a string attached to a fixed wall vs an elastic pole.

Archived