Changing strings on a classical

Glenn F

• Members

Hi all,

What are the signs that the strings need changing? It's not quite as obvious as with steel strings.

Thanks!

Glenn

Don't do it! For God's sake man! Just don't do it.

It will take weeks before the guitar stays in tune again.

Worst guitar mistake I made in 2009 was changing strings on

my classical.

It finally stays in tune now. But I'm not going down that road again - in my

lifetime. This set of strings isn't going anywhere.

• Members

Lol....

Thanks for the answers. The reason I wanted to know is that the strings were at least 2.5 years old, sounded quite dead, and wouldn't intonate properly. I don't know if nylon strings stretch and become unreliable like steel strings can, but it wasn't holding the tuning up the neck. I am pretty sure that its intonation was pretty good when I bought it, although I have to tune it somewhat more compromisingly than I would my steel-string gits. So, the change has been made. So far, the strings are slipping less and less. I am getting ready to record an original song that uses a nylon string, so I hope I won't have to wait years for them to settle in.

Again, thanks!

Glenn

• Members

I've been doing lots of stringing and unstringing as part of tweaking 2 different classicals and I've found that it takes 4 days for me as long as I tune it up to pitch each day (and preferably play some). The 2nd day they're really flat, the 3rd day a bit flat, then the 4th day they're stable.

Don't know when to change them though. Will wait and see...

Archived