Cannonball - Damien Rice cover

kwakatak

• Members

I've been practicing this one and a few others for the next chance I get to do an open mic. I feel confident enough to share my attempt at Damien Rice's song entitled "Cannonball."

http://www.box.net/shared/0g0yoexqhl

Martin D-16GT, D'Addorio EJ17 strings tune 1/2 step down, Kyser capo on the 7th fret, 1mm faux tort pick. This was recorded with a Zoom H2 from about a foot away from the 12th fret and I leaned in to the mic for the vocals. This is the 3rd take but only the second with the mic on - only because I stumbled on a couple lyrics and I "mewoed" it out to keep from waking the family though I ended up invoking the cat! I added reverb and boosted the gain in Audacity.

• Members
Really excellent.

That is of merchantable quality, let alone giving it away for free at an open mike
:thu:

Thanks, Greymuzzle! :)

FWIW I'm hoping to get back into learning a few new songs a week - or at least blowing the dust off some old ones that I used to know. I miss doing open mics!

• Members

:)

Misha: no gigs upcoming. I can't get a babysitter to watch the wrecking crew. BTW, the cat came calling at the end of takes 2 and 3 and I knew that I had to post it so you could hear. BTW: Leela, my little Burmese just turned 10 today.

Ellen: coming from you that's high praise! This was as bare-bones and off the cuff you can get. I admit that I've been practicing hard on this one though. The biggest obstacle is consciously thinking about what I'm doing and I'm choking on a few other songs I'm also working on. How do you get around that?

Chris: those little nuances are what sold me on the song. I fake a lot of them but this video on Youtube inspired me to try it out.

Hudman: thanks for turning me on to this guy. You ain't half bad strumming DR yourself! ;)

LiFeStArTs@40: actually "meowing" is the more technical term here! Personally I think I sound "mousy" and every time I sing the song my cat comes walking in. Imagine what the recording would sound like if I owned a dog! :lol:

Archived