Anyone else deal with runaway harmonica holder?

Chicken Monkey

• Members

I've got to take my harmonica holder on and off a lot to switch harps, switch instruments, etc. Because of this, I can't keep it "locked in"--I've got to undo the thumbscrew fairly often. I can never seem to get it tight enough to keep the harp from running away from me through the course of a harmonica break, though. I tried putting a washer in there to improve the hold, but maybe I should just get a new holder. Any tips for fixing mine, or recs for a new one?

• Members

My secret: lock-washer between the "arms" of the rack...works great! :)

LOCK%20WASHER.jpg

What brand of harp-rack are you using? I prefer the now-discontinued Elton,

il_fullxfull.80117732.jpg

but the Lee Oskar is good enough.

lg_shh100n.jpg

Current using a modified Hohner, which OK, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be using it.

370969.jpg

Been meaning to try out this model, too

314G4RLFfdL.jpg

• Members

My secret: lock-washer between the "arms" of the rack...works great!
:)

LOCK%20WASHER.jpg

Yep, I did that too. It works. Also, take a little trip to your local hardware store and buy some better grade wing nuts with larger wings on it. Home Depot's got 'em in their small parts bins........cheap. I've also used leather and fiber washers. They work too.

I've also modified mine (bent it in a vise) so that the harp's position is a little below my mouth and aimed more UP (about 45 degrees) rather than directly toward my mouth. This position keeps the harp out of my mouth when I'm trying to sing. To play the harp breaks, just bend your head down a little. I got this idea by watching guys like Dylan and Springsteen do it.

I still have to take the rack off my neck to change harps, though. That's damned near a three-handed operation with the Hohner rack I have. I think they're all about the same in that respect. Thinking about making one myself. Hell, when I was a kid, I made one out of an old coat hanger that worked pretty good. Not too fancy.....but the price was right.

• Members

What they said on the lock washer. But I use the automotive, split ring type. I never touch the wing nuts to tighten or loosen. The tension of the washer holds it where ever I put it.

Edit. I forgot - I put it between 2 flat washers to give a good base for the tension.

• Members

Yep, I did that too. It works. Also, take a little trip to your local hardware store and buy some better grade wing nuts with larger wings on it. Home Depot's got 'em in their small parts bins........cheap. I've also used leather and fiber washers. They work too.

I've also modified mine (bent it in a vise) so that the harp's position is a little below my mouth and aimed more UP (about 45 degrees) rather than directly toward my mouth. This position keeps the harp out of my mouth when I'm trying to sing. To play the harp breaks, just bend your head down a little. I got this idea by watching guys like Dylan and Springsteen do it.

I still have to take the rack off my neck to change harps, though. That's damned near a three-handed operation with the Hohner rack I have. I think they're all about the same in that respect. Thinking about making one myself. Hell, when I was a kid, I made one out of an old coat hanger that worked pretty good. Not too fancy.....but the price was right.

I have to bend mine, too, as my neck seems too short for the harp-rack designers...that's what Ieant about modding the Hohner rack, which involver heating it w/ welding torch, the bending it to where I needed it to be...the Elton and LO can be nent much easier!

Been doing this long enough that I can change a harp out w/ one hand, though. :lol:

Also, I'd eventually strip out the threads on the racks, so I, too, would head over to the hardware store...and I now carry enough bolts, wingnuts and lock washers, in a 35mm film can, to repair my racks a few times over...they ALWAYS strip out at the gig, NEVER at home! :mad:

• Members

Yeah, "bad" things never happen at a convenient time, do they Terry.

BTW, one of the other things I did to my (one and only) rack was I glued thin strips of rubber on the top and bottom rails to keep them from scratching and digging up my harps. Also makes it a tighter fit, which is probably why mine is harder to work with when it comes to changing harps. I don't know if I could ever get it down to using just one hand, though.

I try to arrange my set list so I don't have to change out the harps too often. At the same time, I don't ever remember doing the songs in the same order as the way I've got 'em printed out. It might've happened once.

• Members

BTW, one of the other things I did to my (one and only) rack was I glued thin strips of rubber on the top and bottom rails to keep them from scratching and digging up my harps. Also makes it a tighter fit, which is probably why mine is harder to work with when it comes to changing harps. I don't know if I could ever get it down to using just one hand, though.

I use the stick on velcro strips (the fuzzy side) to keep from scratching the harp. They seem to slide in and out of the holder better. I do better changing harps with the rack on. It kind of digs into the chest but I can pull the bottom rail down with one hand that way.

• Members

I use the stick on velcro strips (the fuzzy side) to keep from scratching the harp. They seem to slide in and out of the holder better. I do better changing harps with the rack on. It kind of digs into the chest but I can pull the bottom rail down with one hand that way.

Velcro! Good idea; thanks fbh. I'll have to give that a try.

• Members

I think I've got a Hohner rack--I literally bought it half my life ago, when I was a teenager, and don't remember the brand. I really like the look of the Oskar rack, but I sometimes put so many novelty noisemakers on the rack that the reduced real estate is a real problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, all; it looks like I'll be stopping off at the hardware store this week.

• Members

I think I've got a Hohner rack--I literally bought it half my life ago, when I was a teenager, and don't remember the brand. I really like the look of the Oskar rack, but I sometimes put so many novelty noisemakers on the rack that the reduced real estate is a real problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, all; it looks like I'll be stopping off at the hardware store this week.

Well, CM, I found out something about mine since my last reply. (Mine is the Hohner HH01, btw). I discovered that by taking the wingnuts off, removing the screws and flipping the neck piece 180 degrees and then reassembling it, it now works better than it ever has. Flipping the neck piece lowered the position of the harp and just makes everything work better.

I could've just put it on upside down, but then the little bars that keep the harmonica in position would've been in the front of the harp instead of in the back of it where they belong.

For some weird reason, I can't add any attachments on this forum. Wish I could because a picture is worth 1000 words. But, if yours is also a Hohner, see if flipping the neck piece helps at all. You're still gonna need those star type lock washers and some decent wing nuts though.

• Members

Chordchunker a reckon has found the best method :)

Seriously i used to blow away with Harmonica yrs back and was getting ok with it

then stopped as i them days wasnt learning guitar etc

but since when i 1st got ma guitar..i decided to buy a Harmonica Holder..and tried it out and felt it kept slipping away from me probs the nuts making such happen and thought this is a waste of time

Although i now cant really play Harmonica i feel if i practiced id get back into it but was put off as had ma dog then (Kept barking as soon as id blow )

But unfortunately he isnt here anymore

but it's something a guess the wife would get fed up with me over :lol:

she puts up with the guitar likes :) anyhow having listened to what you all have typed has made me think erm Why didnt i think about these lock nuts

etc :facepalm: Ye its a gd tip again..i may or may not get into Harmonica again

maybe should and tke a trip to a hardware store see what they have in for to help with such as the holders arms kept slipping down and away fae me

although the nuts were tightened which was a put off and think made me jack it in..the well worth the try the nut locks thanks Terry for such

its a gd forum this

Gd tip/s its all a help if i wanna try get back into Harmonica

also think leather type of washers inbetween the nuts may be a gd :idea: as Opa sais.. and fbh sais about velcro strips also :thu:

Ma Holder basically has the springs inbetween the legs..

a once watched a guy play and payed attention to his holder which seemed a better type of holder (I Dont know name now of make )

but it had a wider stronger looking arms..he sais was better than

the spring type i have..but i guess its a gd tip fae Terry about the wing lock nuts.. and is something i prob's shall look into getting in the near future :thu:

• Members

I cut a 6 inch piece of coat hanger wire, looped one end around the "moving" part of the harp holder on the right side ( used a needle nosed pliers to make it snug) and made a hook on the other end of the coathanger wire.

Once I get the harmonica in the holder, I hook the wire onto the stationary piece of the holder (the part that goes around my neck) and this keeps the whole thing really stable. When I'm done, I just unhook the wire and let the holder hang on my chest.

It works really well and I don't have to worry about the wingnuts wearing out. In fact, the nuts don't really tighten at all anymore, they more or less just hold the unit together and the coathanger wire does all the work of holding the unit in place at the correct angle.

I had to do a little experimenting to get the proper length, but since I've got a ton of coathangers, it really didn't cost me anything.

I don't have a picture of it, but if anybody's really interested, I'll see what I can do.

• Members

:idea: Wow! This has to be the best piece of advice I've ever received on HC--and I should say that I've learned a lot here.

I posted more than once about the problem of the harp being in the way while singing, and people have suggested bending the rack--but I could never get it right. But this 45-degree-angle thing really helped. I had had the harp positioned straight into my mouth (yeah, I know now....stupid! :facepalm:), and it always got in the way of the mic.

Now for those thinking of trying these bends, take care to have a backup rack: In my first attempt to get this angle my rack snapped. Luckily I had a second one and now....all is well.

Thanks, Opa John! :thu:

• Members

:idea:
Wow! This has to be the best piece of advice I've ever received on HC--and I should say that I've learned a lot here.

I posted more than once about the problem of the harp being in the way while singing, and people have suggested bending the rack--but I could never get it right. But this 45-degree-angle thing really helped. I had had the harp positioned straight into my mouth (yeah, I know now....stupid!
:facepalm:
), and it always got in the way of the mic.

Now for those thinking of trying these bends, take care to have a backup rack: In my first attempt to get this angle my rack snapped. Luckily I had a second one and now....all is well.

Thanks, Opa John!
:thu:

Hey, I'm just glad it worked for you. TAH talked about doing the same thing. He mentioned heating the arms with a propane torch before attempting to bend them. I didn't do that when I bent mine....just got lucky I guess. Glad you had a spare rack to work with.......If I ever have to modify another one, I'll be sure to use plenty of heat on it.

I also reversed the neck piece on mine last night. (flipped it 180) The harp angle is still the same, but by reversing the neck piece it also lowered it just a tad more. Now it's even better.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I've had this exact problem for awhile. Back in the early 80s I bought an Elton harmonica holder, which worked only after I bent the arms toward my chest to bring it closer. I lost the Elton about 4 years ago, and none of the newer racks work so far. My neck is too short and the rack arms are even shorter. I may have to spend $60 on the expensive Hohner rack to see if it works for me.

• Members
Is Chicken Monkey (the OP) still around? The reason I ask is that he started this thread in 2010. I would hope that he has the problem solved by now. :confused2:

me too.

If anyone else out there on the WWW has this issue, maybe this thread will pop up.

Problem solvers are us.:D

Archived