Power or portability?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm trying to decide between the Fishman Loudbox 100 and the Roland AC-33 for my next amp. I like the sound of the Loudbox better, but the Roland sounds pretty good itself. Pretty much what it comes down too is which is going to be more useful, power or portability.

I'd be playing at or around the university I'm going to. I think the only place I need the power of the Loudbox is at the bars, the only places where there seems to be rock bands, but you rarely ever see an acoustic on stage anyways. On the other hand, every place where I've seen a performance there has been an electrical outlet within easy reach. I'm thinking about the only thing the Roland could do that the Loudbox couldn't is busking.

Which way do you guys think I should go?

• Members

If the bars only book rock bands and rarely solo acts, why would you want to have gear for places that will rarely book you? You'd be surprised how quiet a bar crowd can be if Marshall stacks aren't cranked to 11.

Ease of setup and portability are key factors imo, especially for a solo act.

• Members

Why would anybody need an amp for busking? I just don't get it???
:confused:

Because busking w/ a little amplification means quite a bit more $$$...like going from $20-30 a day up to $200+ a day. The busier your surroundings, the noisier it will be and the less distance your sound will travel. You may not notice as you walk to your spot, but as soon as you start playing, you could find that you can hardly hear your own guitar, and neither can anyone else. If the general public can

• Members
Because busking w/ a little amplification means quite a bit more $$$...like going from $20-30 a day up to $200+ a day. The busier your surroundings, the noisier it will be and the less distance your sound will travel. You may not notice as you walk to your spot, but as soon as you start playing, you could find that you can hardly hear your own guitar, and neither can anyone else. If the general public can

• Members

• Members

At only 5 pounds weight difference and 70 watts in power difference, I'd go for the Fishman.

BTW, I own a Roland AC60 and I absolutely LOVE it!

I want to buy another & use them for a PA.

But in your case, the portability trade-off is small & the power trade-off is large. So do what TAH says.

• Members

I like the sound of the Loudbox better, but the Roland sounds pretty good itself. Pretty much what it comes down too is which is going to be more useful, power or portability.

I think the Roland probably has enough power for whatever you'll be using it for - chances are, the clubs have a PA that you can send it through anyway.

And I agree - the Roland sounds pretty damn good to my ears.

• Members

I should have mentioned I'm going to try to find people to gig with, given my inexperience with gigging. But you guys gave me some good points to think about that I didn't think of. I know some areas have laws about busking, so I checked. They don't allow busking most areas locally, so it seems the Loudbox is the amp to go with.

• Members

I should have mentioned I'm going to try to find people to gig with, given my inexperience with gigging. But you guys gave me some good points to think about that I didn't think of. I know some areas have laws about busking, so I checked. They don't allow busking most areas locally, so it seems the Loudbox is the amp to go with.

Same way here (N. Texas)...fortunately, those of us who persist soon learn the legal loopholes! :lol:;):thu:

Around here, for instance, you can't ask for donations or use a tip-jar on public property, but there's no law against someone choosing to put money in your guitar case... :idea:

And busking on private property has no restrictions, as long as you have permission from the property owner or his representative (venue/shop/cafe/etc. management)... :idea:

Learn your local laws, the better to learn the loop-holes of same! :cool:

• Members

About busking here ive never really enquired yet but guess you pay some money to the local Council of the area where you intend to play

Some areas probably more expensive than others instance for here certain

streets like fir instance Edinburgh's Royal Mile shall be more costly than a quieter street out the way a bit ?

Im not sure if Scotland has a different law than say England or Wales Ireland regards busking but know there's some Laws different here..just not sure as yet about busking Laws..Someone may come on whom knows ? :wave:

• Members

+1 on the loudbox. Get the amp you can use for all situations and at 25lbs thats pretty darn "portable".

As for busking, I have done it with both amp and without. It's also really about location location location. ;)

I also sing so the amp I used was a small Peavey "Solo" amp which had 2 channels. One channel had both XLR and 1/4" inputs for a mic. This is the first year in about 8 that I have not busked on a semi-regular basis. Due to a new city bylaw busking is now prohibited without paying the city a $200 fee first. This applies to the the heaviest tourist area in town and it's a long story as to why it happened. That being said I no longer busk there anymore since I am not paying $200 to be able to only busk for about 6 months a year here. I only do it a few times a month for a few hours at a time so for me the fee is not worth it.

• Members

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We used to do some busking in Dallas. We'd drink a few whiskeys on a Friday night and hit the streets as the bars were about to close. It's seemed pretty easy to pick up $60 or so in about an hour, just making up simple songs on the spot that featured the names of people who stopped to listen. Drunk girls love to stick a $20 in your sound hole if you rhyme their name with something. No amp needed.

I just ordered an AC-33 though, so I'm looking forward to trying this with a bit more projection. :o

• Members

I'm trying to decide between the Fishman Loudbox 100 and the Roland AC-33 for my next amp. I like the sound of the Loudbox better, but the Roland sounds pretty good itself. Pretty much what it comes down too is which is going to be more useful, power or portability.

I'd be playing at or around the university I'm going to. I think the only place I need the power of the Loudbox is at the bars, the only places where there seems to be rock bands, but you rarely ever see an acoustic on stage anyways. On the other hand, every place where I've seen a performance there has been an electrical outlet within easy reach. I'm thinking about the only thing the Roland could do that the Loudbox couldn't is busking.

Which way do you guys think I should go?

Honestly, neither.

Track yourself down a Crate Limo, and have both power AND portability. THe biggest problem w/ the Roland is it eats batteries quickly, whereas the Crate goes 6-7 hours on it's rechargable internal 12v battery and can be plugged in, if a wall socket is handy.

Definitely try one out before you decide! :idea:

• Members

Honestly, neither.

Track yourself down a Crate Limo, and have both power AND portability. THe biggest problem w/ the Roland is it eats batteries quickly, whereas the Crate goes 6-7 hours on it's rechargable internal 12v battery and can be plugged in, if a wall socket is handy.

Definitely try one out before you decide!
:idea:

I did have a Crate Limo, but had lost it in the divorce. I did love how portable it was but wasn't completely happy with the sound. I thought it sounded a bit cold and harsh.

• Members

I did have a Crate Limo, but had lost it in the divorce. I did love how portable it was but wasn't completely happy with the sound. I thought it sounded a bit cold and harsh.

What kind of p/u were you using?

My SBT/UST combo rigs work great, but I'm not as crazy about a mag-equipted acoustic into my Limo...that, indeed, tended towards "a bit cold and harsh".

• Members

What kind of p/u were you using?

My SBT/UST combo rigs work great, but I'm not as crazy about a mag-equipted acoustic into my Limo...that, indeed, tended towards "a bit cold and harsh".

I was using a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker and a Fishman UST through a Fishman preamp.

• Members

I love my Roland AC-60, it's light and can fill an auditorium with quality sound.

By itself? I've been looking for testimonials about how big a room an AC-60 can fill, as I am deciding to whether or to keep it, or should I wait and try the new Fishman Loudbox mini, which is 60 watts, tell me more...

Archived