The Beginner Player Questions, Answers and Advice

Hudman

• Members

If I wanted to start learning songs if alternate tunings, and messing around with those tunings would you guys recommend any specific songs/exercises/chord charts/online help?

Alternatively, if I wanted to start playing more 'complex' solo acoustic guitar pieces (a la Mongrain/ Don Ross/ Andy McKee/ etc) do you guys have any exercises/songs that would be a good starting place? Or is it a matter of self experimentation/mastering the basics first?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Thanks guys:)

yes the wife and i are both learning and we both practice at diff times so as to not mess each other up at first lol

lol my two dogs howle at the sound of us practicing but i am sure they will be glad once we get better
:)

As for me i am a stubboirn cuss and i will definatly learn it and like hudman says maybe i am pushing way to hard on the strings
So i will try to relax my fingers some aqnd still see if i am hitting the cords:)

As of right now it seems impossiable to learn this Git but i am determined to learn it and really have fun in playing it in time

I love the country blues and will learn to play them type of songs starting out once i get good enuff to play them:)

Well funny you sais your dogs howl at the sound of your practicing lol Hey i even went to music store purchased another Harmonica along with a holder for such and as soon as i had a wee blow, ma dog also started to howl out loud, so i have wasted going to that store for such and packed that in but my dog just walks away when i strum guitar, think after your dog here's the sound of your guitar after a week or so then he wont be as bad as they get accustomed to the sounds ok :) so keep at it. As for country blues ye also like it m8 :thu:

• Members

Here's a link to a great article written by Eltjo HAsselhoff on what goes into learning a song. I thought the beginners here would enjoy reading this. I still read this myself now and then. Well thought out and full of information.

http://www.eltjohaselhoff.com/how_to_learn_new_songs.htm

While your there, check out the rest of his site and give a listen to his playing. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I feel like I'm on the verge on playing guitar , but I've felt that way for a month. Seem like I'm stuck in terms of progress. Any tips? Thanks

There is soooo much low-hanging fruit at our level of chops. But, yeah, once you get "pretty good" at some aspect, it's slower going to "just plain good."

If you just want to feel like you're making more progress, try a different song or different style of play. Or get a teacher.

I'm continually floored by how my teacher is able to give me new challenges once I've met the last one. Just the right amount of hurdle -- enough to clear with about two weeks of dedicated practice.

• Members

I feel like I'm on the verge on playing guitar , but I've felt that way for a month. Seem like I'm stuck in terms of progress. Any tips? Thanks

Don't give up. :thu:

Try looking for new players on YouTube. I find a lot of inspiring players when I search "acoustic guitar" or "acoustic cover songs".

• Members

Ye Poppytaker i feel similar to you in a way like stuck in a jam in that i can do the basic's with strumming and im able to put a few tunes together ok
But it's still learning by memory as yet im at

Though the posting and reading posts etc on this forum as well as looking up other stuff at present is stopping me from just me and my Guitar
so i'll have to get practicing more than not i reckon as not practiced enough for sure approx 30 mins a day so have to up that for sure.

• Members

I dont think reading is such a bad, or distracting thing. Its such a broad directionless path, sometimes I tune in here (or there) or read, and it ferments.

For example, three months ago, looking at the circle of fifths , well, I just stared and stared, till I got to the point Id bypass that chapter altogether.

Now, I wouldnt say I have it in my head as a workable tool but I can understand some of its applications.

Now what was it?...... Battle Ends And Down Goes Charlies Father ...bollocks, something Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds....

• Members

I'd appreciate your help with this. Is an arpeggio more of a slowed down strum or a deliberate picking of individual strings? I'm trying to learn House Of The Rising Sun and found several video lessons, but they all seem to have different ways of arpeggiating(?). Thanks

• Members

In some of the videos, the player seems to be playing the arpeggio in one motion down and one motion up, sort of like a slow strum. In others, they seem to stop ( for lack of a better word) and pick each string one at a time, both down and up. I'm just trying to work it out. Thanks

• Members

wow anyone else have anymore input on the nail buffing, particularly to strumming? i never liked picks all that much and always enjoyed the tone of strumming with the nail. There definitely is technique involved in coaxing the right tone of the guitar with the nail, and i've been more concerned about that then the actual nail itself

ill have to try this out

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've seen a few videos where the players recommend using the middle-ring- pinky fingers to form a G chord as it makes it easier to switch to a C chord. Is this worth learning? Do most of you use the index-middle-ring shape or both shapes depending on the song? Thanks.

• Members

Yes, it's worth learning, and yes, I use three different G-chord fingerings depending on the tune.

I use the version you're referring to for Spike Driver Blues. It basically goes from G-G7 a bunch of times.

Another version is the "standard" G, but with the pinky on the high-E. That frees up the ring finger for some additional work -- I use it for the Rev Gary Davis' Candy Man.

Edit: check out Pat Donohue on Spike Driver:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've seen a few videos where the players recommend using the middle-ring- pinky fingers to form a G chord as it makes it easier to switch to a C chord. Is this worth learning? Do most of you use the index-middle-ring shape or both shapes depending on the song? Thanks.

I can use the ring / middle / pinky shape but I prefer to use the middle / index / pinky, because I sometimes add a D note with my ring finger (3rd fret B string).

I have no problem going to a C chord from that fingering, but I've been playing for a while.

• Members

Thanks for all the good information on this thread. I just started lessons at 60. Eight lessons so far. I just keep on practicing every day and hope it gets easier. I'm really enjoying my new Seagull Maritime guitar

Good luck with your lessons and welcome to the forum!

• Members

Thanks for all the good information on this thread. I just started lessons at 60. Eight lessons so far. I just keep on practicing every day and hope it gets easier. I'm really enjoying my new Seagull Maritime guitar

Congratulations! Enjoy your journey.

I started a little over a 2 years ago at 46, was taking lessons and coming along Then the economy hit our business hard and I had to quit lessons, lack of funds.....been over a year now with out lessons, feel like I am treading water at best, not making new headway....I am trying but I learn better one on one with a person showing me the way......But I hope to get lessons going again someday down the road then I will continue on my progression. In the meantime if I can at least retain what I have learned, I think I will be ok:evil: .

I will share it has been something I have both enjoyed and taken great pride as I actually started to make headway!

Picking up the guitar and trying to get serious in trying to learn is one of the best things I have ever done! I really wish you the best and hope it is a pleasant experience for you. You will hit walls and stumble at times, But keep working at it and it can all work out !

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I need some slide advice. I do all right on single strings, but trying to slide power chords around is a different story. And what can I do about the screeching noise I make when sliding power chords? If I use less pressure, no screech ,but the chord doesn't ring true. Thanks

• Members

Should the various modes be represented separately from key, and if so, how can one distinguish between simple harmony changes in a single major key..., and changes of key but with the respective modes so that the appearance is still as if we're in a major Ionian key? (example Key of C in Ionian, switching to the key of D in dorian mode, could still count as if we're in the key of C).

• Members
Should the various modes be represented separately from key, and if so, how can one distinguish between simple harmony changes in a single major key..., and changes of key but with the respective modes so that the appearance is still as if we're in a major Ionian key? (example Key of C in Ionian, switching to the key of D in dorian mode, could still count as if we're in the key of C).

I'd like to buy a vowel,Pat.:confused:

Archived