The Beginner Player Questions, Answers and Advice

Hudman

• Members

Should the various modes be represented separately from key, and if so, how can one distinguish between simple harmony changes in a single major key..., and changes of key but with the respective modes so that the appearance is still as if we're in a major Ionian key? (example Key of C in Ionian, switching to the key of D in dorian mode, could still count as if we're in the key of C).

It depends on what you are playing.

If it sounds good it is good.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Open tunings work best with slide guitar. I'm not a slide guy, so I will let others advise you where to start.

Sorry ,Hudman, I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about using my fingers, not a slide. I'm having trouble sliding power chords up and down the neck. Thanks

• Members

Sorry ,Hudman, I didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about using my fingers, not a slide. I'm having trouble sliding power chords up and down the neck. Thanks

Sorry man.

You need to blow the dust off your old Black Sabbath CD's and play along with them.

Tons of sliding power chords. :thu:

• Members

I'm working on Mississippi John Hurt's Stagger Lee (or Stack O'Lee or whatever it's called). There's a section is there where I have to slide into an A, then reach with my pinky to the 5th fret, followed by some other gymnastics.

I actually hurt myself trying it. Had to use the one-finger form of the A, and my finger doesn't like bending back like that. The reach is like rubbing salt in the wound.

Sometimes it sucks being both a noob and an old guy. But mostly it's fun. :)

• Members

lol..That was almost a politicians answer.

I know. I can be pretty PC when needed. :thu:

I hate rules in art. I view music as an art form. Who is to say it's technically wrong IF the music sounds good?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I need advice on making a D-major chord. I can hit it clean(most of the time)on slow tempo stuff, but on fast songs my ring finger always lags behind when switching from any other chord. It's like my ring finger "waits" on the other two to get in position, then brings up the rear. Thanks.

p.s. You didn't really think I'd let this thread die, did you?

• Members

You already know the answer: practice. :)

The whole chording thing is just proprioception. Your fingers need cues to tell where they are. Eventually the cues become more subtle and your brain can sort them out faster.

• Members

I need advice on making a D-major chord. I can hit it clean(most of the time)on slow tempo stuff, but on fast songs my ring finger always lags behind when switching from any other chord. It's like my ring finger "waits" on the other two to get in position, then brings up the rear. Thanks.

p.s. You didn't really think I'd let this thread die, did you?

That's a "hammer on". People practice for years to do that! ;)

(I don't have an answer just that smartypants remark)

• Members

You already know the answer: practice.
:)

The whole chording thing is just proprioception. Your fingers need cues to tell where they are. Eventually the cues become more subtle and your brain can sort them out faster.

I've been doing the whole slow down thing , you know , super slow positioning of the fingers and the keep the shape off the neck and return thing. Any others? Thanks

• Members

I've been doing the whole slow down thing , you know , super slow positioning of the fingers and the keep the shape off the neck and return thing. Any others? Thanks

The Justin Guitar d00d had great advice that I followed often for the first few months:

Do the chord change that's causing you grief in a race against the clock. For example, do as many C-to-D transitions as you can in 60 seconds. Take a break, and then repeat. Sort of "interval training" for muscle memory.

• Members

You need to rewire your brain a little. We're not used to sending independent signals to the fingers on our left hand. In this case, what you want to be doing is moving those fingers so that you land all three of them at the same time. Instead, your brain wants to tell one or two fingers to move before it tells the ring finger to move.

Maybe Justin's go fast suggestion will work for you, maybe not. My only feeling is that you need to learn to walk before you can run. Are you practicing this with a metronome? Set it really slow, focus on getting all fingers to move at the same time so you can land the chord. Do that a bunch, then set the metronome up by 20 bpm and do it again. Keep doing that until your up to speed. IF your like me (an old fart with aging hands), it may take a lot of practice, but give it time and focus and keep at it every day.

You might want to check out Jamie Andreas's book, The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar. Well worth it.

Glad to see this thread is still alive :thu:

DEP

• Members

In this case, what you want to be doing is moving those fingers so that you land all three of them at the same time. Instead, your brain wants to tell one or two fingers to move before it tells the ring finger to move.

I actually practiced landing my fingers with the chord-root leading. I'm not sure "simultaneous" is really necessary or even beneficial.

By landing the root first, you can begin your strum/pick before the rest of your fingers have landed. I find it very helpful in fingerpicking.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Because, despite what some people think, beginners have just as much right to post here as those with high post counts and years of playing under their belt. Anyone who objects to a beginner seeking knowledge on strings or any other subject related to acoustic guitars is doing a diservice not only to the beginner, but the forum as well.

• Members

Because, despite what some people think,
beginners have just as much right to post here as those with high post counts and years of playing under their belt.
Anyone who objects to a beginner seeking knowledge on strings or any other subject related to acoustic guitars is doing a diservice not only to the beginner, but the forum as well.

Indeed. I've never objected to beginner postings and sure hope that my .02 will be helpful to anyone seeking knowledge, advice, tips, or maybe just needing some encouragement to help them keep going past a difficult spot.

Archived