The Beginner Player Questions, Answers and Advice

Hudman

• Members

Hi,

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years and just loving it so far! One thing that still troubles me is barre chords. I keep practicing them and try to find lots of songs with them, but keep facing the same problems:

1. Transitioning in a out of barre chords (especially the Em and Am shaped ones)

2. Playing any B shaped ones

3. Playing a super-clean chord

4. Playing a entire song without feeling like my thumb is going to snap :( (painful)

Any tips?

Also, I'm starting to get into fingerpicking. What do you guys think is the best way to learn. Sheet music, tabs?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, I think it is important to know where you are heading before you start. If your goal is to play all of the above, you will have to remain patient because it will take years of practice to be able to play at that level. My advice is to set your first goal low and move it up as you advance. Master several campfire 3 chord songs before you try to learn Drifting by Andy McKee or Those Who Wait by Emmanual. How you get there is up to you. I think brand new players should take lessons from a qualified instructor but I will add that there are a ton of free instructional videos on YouTube and tons of free instructional material on the web.

In closing, tell me that I am wrong and a liar if you think this thread is a bad idea.
:facepalm:

Just a thought on the free instructional videos on the web and YouTube.

While these may have a place, that is the main problem. These free instructions are all over the place and have no structure to them. You either get a very basic beginner lesson or three and then you are asked to pay for the next (real) lessons or the lessons are way beyond what a beginner can handle. While they may be find for those who have reached a level where they have some competence in playing and are looking for something specific, they do not appear, from what I've seen to be very "user friendly" for the beginner guitarist.

• Members

Just a thought on the free instructional videos on the web and YouTube.

While these may have a place, that is the main problem. These free instructions are all over the place and have no structure to them. You either get a very basic beginner lesson or three and then you are asked to pay for the next (real) lessons or the lessons are way beyond what a beginner can handle. While they may be find for those who have reached a level where they have some competence in playing and are looking for something specific, they do not appear, from what I've seen to be very "user friendly" for the beginner guitarist.

WWW. justin guitar.com

Try using an emery board on the side of your first finger, also try taking your thumb away copletely. From the neck I mean not from your hand..that would be just stupid.

• Members

Know what you mean, Ive lately started dressing my nails with the file perpendicular to the ends of my fingernails ie from nail to pad, looking at your hand from the side it would resemble a T.

The nail only comes into play just before release, my tutor realized I was doing this before I did:eek:

Try having your nails flush with the ends of your fingers, I havent had to worry about tearing, more precision and harmonics sound louder.

Just me, I"m FAR from proficient but it helped.

Im looking for something to polish the outside of my nails to stop a slight rasping sound.

Also thinking of botox for the pads of my fretting hand so I can do A with 2 fingers....does my bum look look big in this guitar?

My nails are a work in progress; I struggle with them a bit, particularly my index finger nail which has a bit of a hook in the end which makes it hard to shape and also causes it to snag and tear more easily. But, they're passable right now. I'm working on just a bit of a ramp shape, sloping "upward" or outward from left to right, along the lines of what Scott Tennant recommends for classical players.

Re: polishing, you can buy speciality kits that contain a little foam block and several pieces of extremely fine sandpaper:

http://www.thepodium.com/p-15395-dinkytown-nail-kit.aspx

I've used one of those, with good results. But I recently got a simple (and cheap) 8-in-1 emery board from the beauty supply section at the drug/grocery store, which is a rectangular stick with two grades of roughness one each side (color coded and marked) from rough for filing and shaping to extremely smooth for polishing. Works just great and I think cost less than two bucks. Or I should say, worked just great, until my wife stole it from me!

Chris

• Members

My nails are a work in progress; I struggle with them a bit, particularly my index finger nail which has a bit of a hook in the end which makes it hard to shape and also causes it to snag and tear more easily. But, they're passable right now. I'm working on just a bit of a ramp shape, sloping "upward" or outward from left to right, along the lines of what Scott Tennant recommends for classical players.

Re: polishing, you can buy speciality kits that contain a little foam block and several pieces of extremely fine sandpaper:

I've used one of those, with good results. But I recently got a simple (and cheap) 8-in-1 emery board from the beauty supply section at the drug/grocery store, which is a rectangular stick with two grades of roughness one each side (color coded and marked) from rough for filing and shaping to extremely smooth for polishing. Works just great and I think cost less than two bucks. Or I should say, worked just great, until my wife stole it from me!

Chris

Thanks, just did the reverse and borrowed a buffer from her make up back, Ive asked her lots but in the end I had to take a peek when she wasnt there, oops.

Im sure youve thought about it but what about filing the underside ?

I know it weakens a bit but over time mine straightened, the more care Ive taken has made me adapt to just coming into contact with nail before release ie pad then nail rather than hooking nail under string before any outward movement, this has meant a shorter nail, less hook and possibly better feel although I am far from adept Ifeel progress.

• Members

Thanks, just did the reverse and borrowed a buffer from her make up back, Ive asked her lots but in the end I had to take a peek when she wasnt there, oops.

Im sure youve thought about it but what about filing the underside ?

I know it weakens a bit but over time mine straightened, the more care Ive taken has made me adapt to just coming into contact with nail before release ie pad then nail rather than hooking nail under string before any outward movement, this has meant a shorter nail, less hook and possibly better feel although I am far from adept Ifeel progress.

I definitely file the underside, both for tone and because that glassy smooth surface seems to help fight wear from steel strings. Haven't been doing it long enough to see whether it will improve overall shape, though (i.e., eliminate the natural hook shape of the nail). Sounds like I'm trying to strike the string in the same way you do. Like you, I don't hook the nail under the string; ideally, I make contact with the fingertip just before the nail and then the edge of the nail slids along/off the string. It's at least close to the classical approach - I some classical lessons for a few years back.

• Members

What little talent my fingers have seems to reside in my right thumb. It's easier for me to play with my thumb than a pick, but the sound is too soft. What about a thumbpick? Would using one derail what little progress I've made with a flat pick? Can you do up strums using a thumbpick? Thanks

• Members

Only my opinion as I seam to be disapearing up my own backside as regards tone rather than playing music so take my opinion with a pinch of salt..hell add a bit of lemon and tequila if you want...

Anyway...try using the outside of your nails in place of a pick.

I use my index finger (you can add more fingers if you want) to strum down and the outside of my thumb for upstrokes, if you here a rasping sound, most common on high E and B ..welcome to the world of nail buffing.

I try and get the index finger to transcribe an arc in line with the soundhole, try varying where ie towards the bridge or towards the neck.

if you rest your thump ontop of your index fingerso half to an ihch of each digit is protruding you cave a compact HUMAN tool for strumming.

like I said Im not that clever with a guitar,but it works for me...so far.

You can also use your other fingers in a cascade to play with the sound.

• Members

What little talent my fingers have seems to reside in my right thumb. It's easier for me to play with my thumb than a pick, but the sound is too soft. What about a thumbpick? Would using one derail what little progress I've made with a flat pick? Can you do up strums using a thumbpick? Thanks

I assumed a thumb pick would be a massive transition for me personally, but it actually only took about 15 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. But the rest of my acoustic technique has been building for 15 years so that might have something to do with it. But give it a try, it's probably easier than you think. Strumming is definitely inferior with a thumbpick over a flatpick IMHO, but you can do some strumming type stuff with it.

• Members

I assumed a thumb pick would be a massive transition for me personally, but it actually only took about 15 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. But the rest of my acoustic technique has been building for 15 years so that might have something to do with it. But give it a try, it's probably easier than you think. Strumming is definitely inferior with a thumbpick over a flatpick IMHO, but you can do some strumming type stuff with it.

Pinch the thumb pick with your index and thumb and it works just like a flat pick: Easy strumming.

• Members

Many of the suggestions given in this thread are ones that us old players learn the hard way. If you are a beginner take heed. Learning by the school of hard knocks takes a long time. I only wish I had this kind of advice when I first started playing 45 years ago - Tony Rice, Brad Davis, Eric Clapton, et. al. would be no contest :)

• Members

There is a very, very, very, VERY important thing to do to become a better guitarist: go get your guitar, stop wasting hours on Harmony-Central and now GO PRACTICE!!!!!!!

At least, if you are going to spend some of your time here, spend more time practicing than reading about gears!

Do what we say... not what we do!! :o

• Members

Don't let this thread die, I've got a lot of questions to ask. There's a lot of mention of nut width here, is there really a lot of difference in playability between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" ? I have short, thick fingers, would a wider nut width help me? Thanks

Excellent question, know what you mean!

This is why the classical position is so important to me..

1...It enables my forearm to obtain a vertical line, the wrist in line and the fingers angling DOWN TO FRET, rather than perpendicular.

Do what you find comfortable, just a thought.

Allegedly there are no muscles in the fingers, only tendons...maybe ...I dont know What I do KNOW is since I started exercising them they have toned up and grown slimmer, this is obvious from my ring slipping.

See the blunt ends on the fingertips of virtuosos? they werent born like it, exercise.

Try hammer ons on each note of the chromatic scale and keep the last finger down(google "finger gym at www,justin guitar"....it hurts.

Try your fretting thumb in line with second or third finger.

WHEN it hurts relax, and try again.

See you soon:thu:

• Members

You guys will have to ban me or break my fingers to keep from posting on this thread. I've learned so much here and have a long way to go. My question de jour is about changing chords. I'm at a point where I can change chords slowly, just a little off tempo, but when I speed up , I invariably screw up. Should I force the changes, even if their messed up, or try to keep them clean and gradually pick up the pace? Thanks

• Members

I'm at a point where I can change chords slowly, just a little off tempo, but when I speed up , I invariably screw up. Should I force the changes, even if their messed up, or try to keep them clean and gradually pick up the pace?

Noob to noob, both are good things to practice. Keeping things slow until you're ready to speed up will help ensure good form. At the same time, letting your right hand drive the tempo and forcing your fretting hand to keep up even when there are mistakes is good too.

It took me a while before my right hand would stop listening to my left hand. The right should just keep driving regardless of what screwy things your left hand is doing.

Also, try to land your chords starting with the root of the chord. This gives you a few more miliseconds to get the other fingers in place while you start your strum or picking pattern.

• Members

Thanks guys for the tips. One more,please? On the rare occasions when I do switch in the right places, I can just hold the tempo for a few changes, it's like a cumulative effect, the farther I go, the more I mess up. Thoughts?

Mistakes do cascade. But it sounds like you're trying to go too fast. The correct tempo is the tempo that lets you get through the piece without mistakes. Once you've nailed that tempo, then try speeding it up.

• Members
Tempo is always there waiting to tell you you've screwed up. In other words, you're anticipating it because it is part of the song. What you're really doing is expecting to screw up the chord change because tempo, which is acting like an old hag nagging you, is messing with your concentration. Then, when you get it right it's totally unexpected and you stumble on the tempo instead of going with it. Is this somewhat close?

I'll give an example. When I play the first part of Hurt- Johnny Cash version- Am-C-D, I nail it the first two times . then I lose it.

Archived