Guitar magazines - Do you still buy them?

baldbloke

• Members

With so much information available on the internet I'm sure printed page magazines are struggling. I don't subscribe to any myself.

I will, very occasionally, buy a guitar magazine whilst in a supermarket. I don't get too much enjoyment out of them though. The ones I have bought seem to concentrate on electrics (that isn't a problem, just not my interest) or learning the latest, loudest riff from bands I've never heard of. I'm an old fart. I was an old fart when I was in my twenties. I don't go in for much "popular" music. I digress..

Just out of interest, are there many here who still buy the mags? Got any recommendations for an acoustic old fart?

• Members

Very rarely. The last one I bought was The Fretboard Journal with Glen Hansard on the cover. I used to subscribe to various other mags, but after a year or so you get a feel for the info that's offered and then recycled on a fairly regular basis. I usually just browse through them at the bookstore when I'm inbetween appointments.

• Members
Ditto, but it's due to run out in another couple months. Wish they had a Blues Harp magazine or something like it but no such luck.
:rolleyes:

Boy, you're right, Frank. I can't find anything like that either. I went over to Dirty South Blues Harp Forum and read your thread. Those guys, you'd think, would know about a good magazine if one existed. They weren't much help either, though.

It's gotta be a case of where the market for it just doesn't exist. That's too bad.

How far are you from a large public library? If you could find anything at all you could check out an armload of back issues. This is how I used to get woodworking plans. Some of those woodworking mags are over $10 an issue for the good ones. Too rich for my blood!

• Members

I used to subscribe to Fingerstyle Guitar magazine (which greatly broadened my musical horizons) but I let it lapse after a year because it was expensive for only 6 issues a year. Then the ownership fell on troubled times and issues started coming later and later until they were down to 1 issue a year. I hear they're back and under new ownership but things still aren't back to the way they were before the mag started having trouble.

• Members

I buy a 1-2 a year for the advertisements (the custom luthiers in the back of the magazine)

as far as the music parts it seems to be the same old rehashed blues/rock stuff for the past oh.. 30 years? most seem to ignore every other genre of acoustic music

Still, they're nice to find out about luthiers you wouldn't have found just googling "guitars"

• Members

With so much information available on the internet I'm sure printed page magazines are struggling. I don't subscribe to any myself.

I don't buy much paper anything anymore. I still buy books but only because they haven't come out with an E-reader that I like and when they do, there are some older copyrights that may not be available.

I do pay for content. My newspaper is a PDF and I pay a yearly subscription for it. I'll subscribe to certain websites that charge fees if I enjoy the content. A "Magazine" and most other paper publications are a medium form that is coming to an end.

• Members

I stop in at Bookmans Used Books here in town a few times a year and browse what's come in. I usually find a couple of magazines I like each time and buy 'em for a couple bucks each. Sometimes they have articles on artists I like, sometimes they have articles covering something else interesting to me... a technique improver, song lessons, or maybe gear reviews. :thu:

But I don't subscribe to any.

• Members

I seldom miss an opportunity to pick up the Fretboard Journal. A GREAT rag!!!

^This.

I've been meaning to subscribe. As it stands I look at it when I get a chance.

Generally I buy used Acoustic Guitar magazines at the used bookstore.

$1 apiece.

• Members

I might stop in at Hastings once in while to see if they have any worth while magazines.I like Fingerstyle magazine.Sometimes you get a free cd.The last one I bought had about 12 songs on it.All the players were interveiwed or talked about in the mag.

• Members

I have rarely ever purchased a guitar magazine. I do have the special edition of Guitar World-Acoustic that was the John Lennon Special Issue. I also have "Frets", the issue featuring Jake Shimabukuro on the cover. I have the special Beatles Issue of Guitar World, also.

Archived