Acoustic recording advice plz

danxrs05

• Members

Hey everyone.

I sometimes do recording at home with my acoustic (D-15 from Martin).

I also have 3 youtube videos but it was recorded with the microphone on the cam.

Here is what i want to know:

-What would be a good condenser mic to record acoustic music (including singing at the same time)? (I don't want to pay 500$)

-what software do you use to match audio+video?

Considering I am using:

M-AUdio Fast Track (only 1 entry)

Adobe Audition 3.0

thanks!

Here is my youtube channel if you are curious:

http://www.youtube.com/user/danxrs05?feature=mhum

• Members

I can't speak for the software part of the question because I don't do vids.

As to the mic question, I get pretty good quality with Samson C02 condenser mics. A pair can be had for around $130-$140. Before I installed a p'up in my git, I used a pair of these and got a very nice, natural sound. I placed one about 6" from the neck, aimed at the 12th fret and the other was placed at an angle about 14" from the soundhole. That was to record a 12-er, so you'd obviously have to play around with placement to find the "sweet spot."

Just my .02.

• Members

I bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface and the MXL 990/991 mic combo (large/small diaphragm condenser) for $300. The Saffire comes with Abelton Live so you'd have everything you need.

I use both mics to record a stereo track of my acoustics. Check my YouTube page (link in my sig) for some samples. The last 3-4 videos were recorded with my setup.

You could spend a whole lot more but it's a pretty good package, for the price, to get you started.

BTW: I use the same basic mic positioning that Samilyn described. But again, it will take a little trial and error to find your sweet spot.

• Members

I bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface and the MXL 990/991 mic combo (large/small diaphragm condenser) for $300. The Saffire comes with Abelton Live so you'd have everything you need.

I use both mics to record a stereo track of my acoustics. Check my YouTube page (link in my sig) for some samples. The last 3-4 videos were recorded with my setup.

You could spend a whole lot more but it's a pretty good package, for the price, to get you started.

BTW: I use the same basic mic positioning that Samilyn described. But again, it will take a little trial and error to find your sweet spot.

Your Beyond Blue Eyes sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/guituber#p/a/u/0/K2A_8yQUaS4

• Members

I've got a good three dozen mics or so. The one that has impressed me most - by a long shot - for acoustic guitar is the Audio-Technica ATM450, a side-address, small diameter condenser mic. About $250 in the big stores (MF, etc...), but you can pick them up on ebay for WAY less money. The best microphone buy out there, IMHO, for people who record a lot of acoustic guitars.

• Members

The MXL 990/991 set is actually pretty good for

I use the thin one quite a lot to mic. I've never actually used the big one yet.

I have a couple of other big condensers I rely on. But the 991 is pretty good

for a fingerboard position mic.

• Members

Another vote in favor of the MXL 990/991 combo :thu:.

I don't own either, but I do have a pair of MXL 2001 large-diaphragm condensers and they're excellent for the money. I usually only use one when I record my guitar, and the results are pretty good. I've got a recording posted here if you're interested to see what MXL mics sound like.

If you want to record vocals and the guitar at the same time, having two mics is a good idea. It makes things a lot easier. You can record everything with just one mic, but then mic placement becomes very, very important. Most people play louder than they sing, so the mic has to be closer to your mouth than to your guitar. If you get too far from the guitar, though, the guitar won't sound good. It's hard to strike a happy medium with just one microphone.

• Members

You can use Audition 3.0 to match your video and sound. I do it all the time for work stuff. Basically you just import the video into a multitrack session, then add the soundfile, match them up and mute the video file. It's actually easier than I make it sound. Dig around and you can even find codecs to import into audition to handle .mov and .aiff files. Very handy. Stick with Audition if you know it and like it.

Mics - I select them for voiceover work not music and it's a slightly different beastie I guess so I'll leave that one to others.

• Members

I'd suggest getting one of these. It's a studio in the palm of your hand. It does everything. You can get a 2 channel version for less.

Here's a clip I did recently with my 000-15S. Forgive the performance. I was just testing my brand new H4n. I did this right out of the box.

You either record into the Zoom, or use it as an audio interface and record directly into your computer. The built in mics are good quality condensers.

That D-15 should be great for recording!:thu:

• Members

You should try both at the same time and record a stereo track. You're only getting a mono track with one. The difference will astound you. Just place the other mic behind the bridge, maybe a little further away than the 12th fret mic.

Your recording still came out nice. It sounded a little distant, but as you said, the trial and error of mic placement is half the fun.

This is a song I did using the two mics for guitar and vocals:Cheeseburger in Paradise

The vocals are not quite centered but that's because I kept moving my head. But you get the idea. Still, just one stereo track using both mics.

Archived