Dark Side GAS: FENDER SQUIER TELE CUSTOM II P90

Glenn F

• Members

Congrats!
:thu:

I had one with the twin humbuckers when they first came out. I got it at Long & McQuade on Alta Vista & Bank (you remember?
;)
). It was a good guitar but the neck was way too skinny even for me!
:eek:
I eventually sold it.

I never went to L&M in Ottawa. I stayed loyal to Steve's.

I haven't got it--yet. The P90s on this were really raw, and sounded great both clean and overdriven. My only quibble would be the bare neck, as I am wondering how a sweaty hand will impede movement, but I am sure I will cope. I can't believe this guitar is

• Members

I've got it in yellow. It rules. I'm getting ready to set it up for slide.

Rehearsal clips for two summers ago ...

w/Fender Super Champ XD

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7886241

w/Boss GT8 direct into Fishman SoloAmp ...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7987202

btw, that's hypcollector on acoustic rhythm guitar on those two tracks.

• Members

Any issues with the bare neck?

I love bare necks. For me they impart the least friction, whether sweaty-palmed or not. But I've heard that moisture, over time, can make them warp.

I don't believe there's any finish on my Martin's Stratabond neck (and there would be no need, as it's a plywood sandwich and prolly couldn't warp). That's one of the reasons I love playing that guitar.

• Members

I have a 50s Classic Vibe Tele and it is a GREAT guitar. Paid about $325 at Sam Ash. Setup out of the box was spot on and it plays like a dream. Fit and finish are top rate too. Don't see how Fender is going to sell many made in Mexico guitars with these Chinese models available for half the price, and a better guitar IMHO.

• Members

I have a 50s Classic Vibe Tele and it is a GREAT guitar. Paid about $325 at Sam Ash. Setup out of the box was spot on and it plays like a dream. Fit and finish are top rate too. Don't see how Fender is going to sell many made in Mexico guitars with these Chinese models available for half the price, and a better guitar IMHO.

The same way they sell the American Standard tele that is half the price of the MIM ($499. new btw) tele.

• Members

The same way they sell the American Standard tele that is half the price of the MIM ($499. new btw) tele.

I think you meant twice the price of a MIM tele.

I've had both a MIM Tele (which I sold) and an American Standard Tele (which I still own). The American Standard is a better guitar far and away. The MIM's are getting better every year though. I think the Squiers are about where the MIM's were three or four years ago. They save the money in the wood primarily. I think the Classic Vibe Tele is made of pine IIRC. Not that pine is bad, but it is less expensive than alder or ash.

• Members

I think you meant twice the price of a MIM tele.

I've had both a MIM Tele (which I sold) and an American Standard Tele (which I still own). The American Standard is a better guitar far and away. The MIM's are getting better every year though. I think the Squiers are about where the MIM's were three or four years ago. They save the money in the wood primarily. I think the Classic Vibe Tele is made of pine IIRC. Not that pine is bad, but it is less expensive than alder or ash.

Whoops. You are right I did. The dyslexia has set in.

There are debates all over the web about MIM vs USA teles.

• Members

Whoops. You are right I did. The dyslexia has set in.

There are debates all over the web about MIM vs USA teles.

Pre-senility is always a sad thing. ;)

For me, having played both many times, there is no debate. The American Tele, at least mine, is just better all around than a MIM Tele. Having said that, the MIM Tele and Strats remain, I think, the best electric deals on the market, dollar for dollar.

But I've never played or heard a MIM Tele that sounded the same as, or better than, an American Standard, nor do they play as well.

Mine sounds and plays better than she looks.

FenderAmericanTele_3.jpg

• Members

Pre-senility is always a sad thing.
;)

For me, having played both many times, there is no debate. The American Tele, at least mine, is just better all around than a MIM Tele. Having said that, the MIM Tele and Strats remain, I think, the best electric deals on the market, dollar for dollar.

But I've never played or heard a MIM Tele that sounded the same as, or better than, an American Standard, nor do they play as well.

Mine sounds and plays better than she looks.

FenderAmericanTele_3.jpg

My views are not the same as yours, and I`ve also played a bunch, but it`s futile debating it imo. As long as you have the one you like then it really doesn`t matter. ;)

• Members

How many Canadian Piastres do they go for, Misha?

I've ordered it, should receive it by Wednesday. I must admit to a slight headstock snobbery, but I won't let that get in the way if the guitar is a keeper. Played it through a Peavey Classic 30 yesterday, and it certainly had oomph and bite to spare.

• Members

Never knew it was out there, but it looks pretty much like the Fender Black Dove Tele, which has been near the top of my GAS list for years. I love P-90s. While I agree with Larry50 in general about USA vs. MIM (I've owned both), as far as I know the Black Dove is only MIM. Here's a YT demo (I swear this is not a Rick-Roll attempt).

[video=youtube;iaQh0nvlxHc]

• Members

Headstock snobbery? It says Fender and is Tele accurate. What's to be snobbish about? The only thing that would make the Squier cooler is if it had 21 frets rather than 22.

btw, I like the Strat headstock on the Black Dove Tele, but on Strats. :o

I love the matching headstock/body color the Jim Adkins Tele, but do not like the top loader bridge thing. Gotta go through the body to get that Tele spankin' mojo imo.

• Members

Headstock snobbery? It says Fender and is Tele accurate.

I know, I know. It's just, well, you know.... :p;)

Seriously: if this guitar can be set up as well as my MIM Standard Tele, I won't give a toss what's on the headstock.

• Members

Never knew it was out there, but it looks pretty much like the Fender Black Dove Tele, which has been near the top of my GAS list for years. I love P-90s. While I agree with Larry50 in general about USA vs. MIM (I've owned both), as far as I know the Black Dove is only MIM. Here's a YT demo (I swear this is not a Rick-Roll attempt).

Ooooooo I think I want one-a those...:thu::cool::love:

• Members

How many Canadian Piastres do they go for, Misha?

I've ordered it, should receive it by Wednesday. I must admit to a slight headstock snobbery, but I won't let that get in the way if the guitar is a keeper. Played it through a Peavey Classic 30 yesterday, and it certainly had oomph and bite to spare.

Around 249.49$ CAD + taxes (14 % in Quebec).

http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/produit3248_2/squier-vintage-modified-tele-custom-ii-0327602507.aspx

Archived