Nails: how long do you keep yours?

Jkater

• Members

I finally got acrylics about 6 weeks ago. I'm really happy with them. Just on the three fingers, as you say. Here's a picture taken right after I left the shop, before I trimmed them to length. I like them short, too (just beyond the tip of my finger).

IMG_0026.JPG

• Members

I like the nails of my three fingers barely longer than the tip of the finger and the thumb fairly long.

How about you, guys and gals?

Almost exactly the same, altho I've been cutting my thumb nail back and trying to use more flesh. I use a thumb pick and two metal finger picks on my resos (sometimes, but I hate them), but on my acoustics its mostly nail.

One big problem for me is that I rock climb and I'm always destroying one nail or another, so in the summer when I'm climbing a lot I try to keep them just at the end of my finger tip.

Years ago I heard a seminar by the late Buster "Machine Gun" Jones (previous Winfield finger picking champ). I asked him what he did for nail care - his one word answer "acrylics". Haven't broken down (yet) but every time I break a nail I'm tempted.

• Members

I've been doing acrylics for almost a year. It costs me $5 about every 2 1/2 weeks. As long as I'm attempting to play guitar, I will stick with acrylics. LOVE the tone... Clear, articulate, but not too bright like some cheap plastic pics. I keep them about an 1/8" longer than the finger tips.

• Members

Short, very short. I mainly hybrid pick, but I still like 'em short for fingerstyle. I prefer the sound of flesh on the strings. I've tried at various intervals in my guitar playing life to fuss with nail care, and it just didn't work out. That, and I just preferred the sound of flesh.

• Members

I'm a fingerpicker, but don't care for a too-twangy sound, so my nails, including thumb, are kept rather short - just barely past the tip of flesh. Long enough to give accent sounds without being overly obtrusive.

Archived