Woodshedding late at night

kwakatak

• Members

I got the Tommy Emmanuel bug again and haven't learned one of his songs in a long time so I downloaded the tab for his song "The Mystery" and have been trying to find the groove. It's late at night and the sky's getting really angry (a t-storm is rilling through) but here I am trying to woodshed and make as little noise as possible. I've only been at it for about a day now and it's not note for note by a long stretch but I'm pretty proud of my progress so far so I had to share:

http://www.box.net/shared/qznmiacjff1rrabcr3bd

Sorry about the glassy tone. I plugged my Larrivee OM-03R's K&K pure western mini directly to my PC with no preamp and used a light touch (so as not to wake up the family) so I had to artificially boost the levels afterward. I also threw on some heavy reverb too - in the same way that a junk food junkie will dump sugar all over their food in order to make it palatable.

Anybody else working on something but are still working out the kinks?

• Members

That's very good if you are just learning it. My hat goes off to you...I wouldn't even attempt to learn or play a Tommy E tune...:lol:

I suppose I should really start working on this easy fingerstyle version of Autumn Leaves that I found. I already know the chords and the basic melody. Lately I have been concentrating on the material I need for busking which is all strumming/singing tunes. Heck I still have trouble playing a basic version of Elizabeth Cotton's Freight Train...:lol:

• Members

One day! That is great. It takes me a week to get the first two bars of any tune. 3 to 4 months to make it passable. I am jealous. That is fast progress. . . .

^This. I don't think I could get anywhere near that good on any song in a year.

• Members

Thanks, guys. FWIW it's kinda stuck in my head though and now when I pick up the guitar it's the fist thing I play. That's not always a good thing though so I've been trying to mix it up with other songs that I know but don't play as much as my standard go-to songs.

OGP, you should pick up that piece and dedicate the summer to it. That way when an autumn VOM rolls around you'll be ready! I'm just sayin...! ;)

• Members

I shared a room with kwakatak a couple weeks back in Central Ohio and he sat on the edge of his bed and peeled off about 6 T.E. instrumentals, one after the other, pretty as you please, polished up to a spit-shine.

(If I wasn't such a generous and magnanimous sort, he would have pissed me off.)

Oh, by the way, You're off to a great start on this one, Neil. :thu:

• Members

Shucks, Q. FWIW I lost my place in more than half of them though. I do know a good 7 or 8 TE songs though. I didn't know you were keeping track though, and I'm sorry if I seemed like I was showing off. I wasn't really. Besides, you were noodling around pretty well too on your little Epi L-00 IIRC.

• Members

I got the Tommy Emmanuel bug again and haven't learned one of his songs in a long time so I downloaded the tab for his song "The Mystery" and have been trying to find the groove. It's late at night and the sky's getting really angry (a t-storm is rilling through) but here I am trying to woodshed and make as little noise as possible. I've only been at it for about a day now and it's not note for note by a long stretch but I'm pretty proud of my progress so far so I had to share:

Sorry about the glassy tone. I plugged my Larrivee OM-03R's K&K pure western mini directly to my PC with no preamp and used a light touch (so as not to wake up the family) so I had to artificially boost the levels afterward. I also threw on some heavy reverb too - in the same way that a junk food junkie will dump sugar all over their food in order to make it palatable.

Anybody else working on something but are still working out the kinks?

Kwak, that is amazing to do that in one day, it would take me a week and it wouldn't sound that good. Great job, I can't wait to hear it when it's totally finished!

Kurt

• Members

Sounds great, kwak! I'm sort of in awe of how good it sounds with how little time you've put in to it. You've got kids running around everywhere, a real job, and yet you still manage to get practicing in late at night. I need to look to you as an example a little more often!

Thanks, guys. FWIW it's kinda stuck in my head though and now when I pick up the guitar it's the fist thing I play.

I so know this feeling. Whenever i'm working on something, people think it's the only thing I know how to play.

• Members

Wow - that's humbling to be an example to a Berklee grad who's toured two continents. Seriously? C'mon now - you don't need to woodshed, girl. You're putting the time in on the road. It's me who should be following your example - though I'd be happy getting back into just doing open mics. :o

• Members

I suppose I should really start working on this
easy
fingerstyle version of Autumn Leaves that I found. I already know the chords and the basic melody. Lately I have been concentrating on the material I need for busking which is all strumming/singing tunes. Heck I still have trouble playing a basic version of Elizabeth Cotton's
Freight Train
:lol:

Autumn Leaves is a great tune. Pretty much a minor version of "How Dry I Am".. Also the same changes as Europa.

• Members

Wow - that's humbling to be an example to a Berklee grad who's toured two continents. Seriously? C'mon now - you don't
need
to woodshed, girl. You're putting the time in on the road. It's
me
who should be following
your
example - though I'd be happy getting back into just doing open mics.
:o

But I don't have offspring (not to mention offspring that require some extra attention like yours) or a real job. I've had nearly 100% of my time available to music. I think what you've accomplished is pretty damn remarkable. But thanks for the kind words. :)

• Members

Been working on this one a lot yesterday and today:

http://www.box.net/shared/gtv437xdjznl85miah8f

I still need to work on technique and stuff but I'm getting a better feel for the song structure and melody. I have to admit that I dressed it up a bit with some reverb and sat very close to my Zoom H2 this time. I'm still not entirely happy with it but I wanted to share my progress.

Archived