Martin D-16GT: Anybody own/try one?

grunge782

• Members

Tried a couple D-16GT, and also a few D-16RGT. I currently have a D-16RGT myself and love it. I think the 16 series Martins are the best value/quality ratio in the Martin line right now IMO. The only better guitar in the Martin line before the standards (D-28, D-18, D-35, etc) is the Guitar Center exclusive MMV model.

• Members

"..The only better guitar in the Martin line before the standards (D-28, D-18, D-35, etc) is the Guitar Center exclusive MMV model..."

I'm pretty sure that the GC Custom referred to as the "MMV" is basically a 16 Series by design.

"...Over here, there is not much of a price difference between a D-28 and a D-16RGT..."

A lot of folks here on the "left side of the pond" would opt for the D-28 simply because its a "Standard Series" Martin (and, of course, it is THE STANDARD by which most acoustic guitars are measured). I personally prefer the SOUND of a D-16RGT when compared to a newer D-28. The M/T neck joint, gloss top (only) and lower (visually) grade woods in the 16 make it much less expensive to build but the scalloped top braces free up the top producing an louder, more open tone right out of the box. I DO believe that, in time, the 28 will eventually surpass the 16 in tone quality. Until we have lots of 40 year old D-16RGTs around, we really can't be sure.

Bud

• Members

I have had the mahogany D-16GT (satin finish with gloss top) for about a year and a half now. I was originally in the market for a HD-35 but only had about $900 to work with. I A/B'd the D-16GT against the D-16RGT, D-18, D-28, HD-28 and HD-35 and found that this modest little hog guitar held its own. I'd recommend it over the DX1 and D-1GT hands down. You can find them new for less than $1000 and they pop up on the used market every now and then for as low as $500.

• Members

I have payed a few that were very impressive and a few that were nothing special.

Shop around and pick out a good one.

I apologize for being so ignorant, but what traits should I look for when I'm searching for a "good" one versus a "bad" one? I know plenty about electrics, but the acoustic world is still a bit new to me. Reason I ask is I might do a trade for a used one.

And thanks everyone else for your opinions.

• Members

I apologize for being so ignorant, but what traits should I look for when I'm searching for a "good" one versus a "bad" one? I know plenty about electrics, but the acoustic world is still a bit new to me. Reason I ask is I might do a trade for a used one.

And thanks everyone else for your opinions.

Play a few and pick the one that sounds the best to you.

Acoustic guitars can vary in tone from guitar to guitar - even between the same model because no 2 pieces of wood are identical.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that the GC Custom referred to as the "MMV" is basically a 16 Series by design.

I think the MMV is based on the 15-series. Different bracing, and I prefer the 15-style over the 16-style.

You can sometimes find an early 1990's D-16 with the standard scalloped bracing and dovetail neck joint. There's one in our local shop -- pretty nice!

• Members

"..I think the MMV is based on the 15-series. Different bracing..."

GC and MF created a lot of confusion by calling some of their lower-end Martin Customs "15s." 15 Series Martins have Mahogany (or Sapele) tops; period. If it has a Spruce Top, it's not a 15 no matter what the dealer ordering it calls it. These lower-end customs do have slightly different bracing but they, the real 15s, and current style 16 Martins are very similar inside.

The 16 Series Martins made prior to the introduction of the M/T neck joint are more like current Standards than current 16s.

Bud

• Members

the real 15s, and current style 16 Martins are very similar inside.

Are you sure? The 16's use hybrid scalloped bracing with two lower face braces (aka tonebars). The 15's, MMV's, and some other GC customs use tapered bracing with a single lower face brace.

Significantly different bracing, and very noticeable difference in tone to me.

The bracing in the upper bout (i.e., "A-frame") is the same. Excellent structural support. Should make no difference in tone.

• Members

I'm pretty sure the MMV only has 1 tone bar because it's got more bass response which is indicative of a less inhibited lower bout. My D-16GT certainly seems to be brighter than the MMVs and DSRs I've tried - and that has nothing to do with the fact that they have rosewood back & sides vs. my guitar's mahogany back & sides.

That being said, I'd have snapped up an MMV if I had had just a little more $$$ to play with. I've seen them used for around $800. I have no regrets with the D-16GT purchase though; it just needs an MMV (or something similar) to keep it company.

BTW, this thread is worthless without clips. I have a few of my D-16GT:

Here it is strummed with no capo and fresh EJ17 D'Addorio Phosphor Bronze medium gauge strings. Note the nice bass response but also crisp trebles. I should add that this guitar thrives on mediums and 1.0 mm hard plastic picks.

http://www.box.net/shared/x4ectu9xp1

Here it is with a capo all the way up on the 6th fret and with the same strings and pick combination:

http://www.box.net/shared/0g0yoexqhl

Here it is fingerpicked with a capo on the 2nd fret, same strings:

http://www.box.net/shared/bk5o7458z9

• Members

The 16 Series is an excellent value, IMHO. The first Martin I ever tried out was a D-16GT. It sounded great to me, as have the few others I've tried out. I owned a 000-16RGT for a couple years. Terrific guitar, but I was suffering from some kind of temporary insanity at the time that made me believe small-bodied rosewood guitars made no sense for me...

Hard to go wrong with a D-16GT if you like a nice loud crisp dread sound with a good bass response. Just my opinion. I love Martin dreads in general.

• Members

I'm pretty sure the MMV only has 1 tone bar because it's got more bass response which is indicative of a less inhibited lower bout. My D-16GT certainly seems to be brighter than the MMVs and DSRs I've tried - and that has nothing to do with the fact that they have rosewood back & sides vs. my guitar's mahogany back & sides.

That being said, I'd have snapped up an MMV if I had had just a little more $$$ to play with. I've seen them used for around $800. I have no regrets with the D-16GT purchase though; it just needs an MMV (or something similar) to keep it company.

BTW, this thread is worthless without clips. I have a few of my D-16GT:

Here it is strummed with no capo and fresh EJ17 D'Addorio Phosphor Bronze medium gauge strings. Note the nice bass response but also crisp trebles. I should add that this guitar thrives on mediums and 1.0 mm hard plastic picks.

http://www.box.net/shared/x4ectu9xp1

Here it is with a capo all the way up on the 6th fret and with the same strings and pick combination:

http://www.box.net/shared/0g0yoexqhl

Here it is fingerpicked with a capo on the 2nd fret, same strings:

http://www.box.net/shared/bk5o7458z9

That git sounds great, Neil. :thu: Helped along in that regard by the good playing.

• Members

Play a few and pick the one that sounds the best to you.

Acoustic guitars can vary in tone from guitar to guitar - even between the same model because no 2 pieces of wood are identical.

I wish I could, but it is a local trade so I don't really have much to compare to (besides what I can remember from what I have played at a local music shop). I know and understand neck feel, action, setup, fretleveling, etc... but tonewise I'm still pretty green.

• Members

I have the D16RGT and love it. It's a great value and a great instrument.

As far as being inexperienced where tone is concerned - rubbish!

You know what sounds good to you.

One thing I recommend with acoustics, though, is to have someone else play it for you, in addition to playing it yourself, so you get a sense of how it sounds from in front.

• Members

I have had the mahogany D-16GT (satin finish with gloss top) for about a year and a half now. I was originally in the market for a HD-35 but only had about $900 to work with. I A/B'd the D-16GT against the D-16RGT, D-18, D-28, HD-28 and HD-35 and found that this modest little hog guitar held its own. I'd recommend it over the DX1 and D-1GT hands down. You can find them new for less than $1000 and they pop up on the used market every now and then for as low as $500.

Very much the same experience here. Was sort of window shopping for a D28 and stumbled on the D-16RGT. A/B'd them and my ears couldn't "hear" the difference in price. Bought the D-16RGT and couldn't be happier.

BTW.....I've since heard that new D16 series is considered a "workingman's D28".

• Members

I wish I could, but it is a local trade so I don't really have much to compare to (besides what I can remember from what I have played at a local music shop). I know and understand neck feel, action, setup, fretleveling, etc... but tonewise I'm still pretty green.

A local trade you say? Have you been able to try it? If so, were the strings fresh? Has the owner done any upgrades to it? What strings are on it now? I prefer mediums (that's what they come with from the factory after all) but others seem to like lights on them. There's another thread going on about that right now though.

• Members

Hey......if it's local, you owe it to yourself to try it out. I agree with slodge as far as tone is concerned. Your ears don't lie. You may not have much experience but, you know what does and doesn't sound good to you. That works in your favor.

If it plays good and is in good shape.....and considering it's a Martin, you probably can't go wrong.

Archived