Epiphone masterbuilts?? how are they??

bluewolf

• Members

I own one....the AJ-500RE. I've got nothing but good things to say about it. All solid-wood construction, great neck, satin finish(don't like gloss that much) and great tuners. The case is a nice plus as well. I'd recommend one for sure. You can really find some good deals on them on ebay if you look hard enough and have good timing. Mine was brand new and I got it for $475. :)

• Members

I tried a EF-500R last year and I thought it was a pretty good deal for the $650 price tag. I liked that it was nice and loud for being a smaller guitar and the V-shaped neck was very comfortable. I didn't care for the vintage/faded sunburst top though.

• Members

I have the Dreadnaught. DR500-MENS maybe? I like it. It's not a substitute for a real Gibson, but then again, I'm a Martin person.

I don't like the bags system and I prefer to mic it. It's also got some ergonomic issues, but I'm a 000c or OMC kind of guy. The Masterbilt Auditorium model (?) feels better, but the c-neck and sound is horrible. It's supposed to be the "finger style" but lacks any hint of a complex tone and the mids are lacking. That's just my opinion.

I didn't play the jumbo.

• Members

I thought about getting one for a while, but i played their slopeshoulder mahogany and rosewood models, and they left me wanting more. They're not bad for the price, but I think you could do better with other guitars. Try looking at musicians friend for their D-15 customs.... spruce and rosewood, and spruce and mahogany. $700 for mahogany, $800 for rosewood... a little more money, but a lot more guitar. If you could find a used one, I bet it would only be about $450 or $500. It's hard to beat Martin in the cheaper stuff for me, because they worry more about construction and tone than appearance, and that's what I value more. Happy hunting.

• Members

Originally posted by Rada

While the masterbuilt epiphones are good and all, nothing beats a real Gibson

(when it comes to their acoustics...they're electrics, on the other hand, almost anything can beat those things!
:(
)

The Epiphone "Elite" series made in Japan are pretty damn close, I just got a J-200 maked as USED (2nd quality) and it;s one of the nicest sounding guitars I've played. Not in the league of a good Gibson J-200 but it didn't cost me $3200 either. I got it for $650.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

It really depends on who you ask. I've never played one, but I've heard some good things about them and I've heard some bad things about them. As of late, though, it's been mostly good things. Methinks they had some quality control issues earlier on, but it looks like they've got those all sorted out now :thu:.

Either way, if you liked the way it sounded and the way it played, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you thought it was a good guitar, go for it!

And post some pics when you get it :).

• Members

I would agree that there are some good masterbilts, but you should play the one you want first. .....Same with a regular ole Gibby acoustic. I dont know why but tonally they dont seem as consistant as say Taylor where each model sounds about the same.

I have had two Gibsons that were awesome....just saying....

Edit: Nowadays I would say that about almost any acoustic. Its nice to find that gem by actually playing it and not just doing the whole order off the internet. Im sure you can get some goods off the net, but when nothing beats putting it in your hands first...

• Members

I've owned my Masterbilt AJ-500M for a couple years now and I absolutely love it. For a solid wood guitar with a $500 price tag, I found it too good of a deal to pass up (as long as you don't mind that it comes from China).

A word of caution though. Maybe it was just the (lack of?) acoustic guitar care at GC, but, I had to hunt through several of them before I found one that really sang to me.

And, like seagullplayer77 said, if you like the sound of it, it's the guitar for you :thu: Happy guitar hunting!

• Members

You Were Here

http://www.box.net/shared/32xrxxr8xt

Winter song. Love gone wrong, way wrong. A song I wrote that preceded last month's breakup song but, in retrospect, foreshadowed it I guess. Hummingbird capoed way up (9 I think) and vocal, into an AT2020 mike and recorded on a Fostex VF80; m4a file converted to mp3.

Lyrics:

Another night another day

I dreamed of you from far away

You were in a room and I was standing by the door

One by one you lit a hundred candles

Every single candle burning much too brightly

So I had to close my eyes

And when I woke up in the morning

There was winter in the air

Just a hint of winter

Happens to me every single year

And it never fails it takes me by surprise

Warms my heart and fills my eyes

I am sure that you were here

Another day another night

Another burned-out warning light

You are from the provinces

I am from the deeper south

All those papers piled up on your doorstep

I delivered every one

Now they're soaked by rain and yellowed by the autumn sun

And when I came home in the morning

There was winter in the air

Just a hint of winter

Happens to me every single year

And it never fails it takes me by surprise

Cuts my heart and stings my eyes

God I wish that you were here

• Members

I played a couple a few weeks back. I wanted to love them, but I didn't like the baseball bat neck. The EF-500M that I tried was pretty heavy, the frets needed leveling, and, as I mentioned, the neck was not my cup of tea. The AJ-500M that I tried had dead strings, but I could tell it had some serious bass ooomph. So, imho, if you don't mind chunky necks, one of these may be for you, but make sure you try before you buy, or, if you buy online, wherever you buy from has a good return policy.

Cheers,

Glenn

Archived