Best $300 acoustic/electric

HooBass

• Members

I've been tasked by my wife to help buy a guitar for one of her coworkers' kids. I think he's 12 or 13 and wants a guitar for Christmas. I've always been of the opinion that even for a starter guitar you should get something that's good quality, otherwise it'll play like crap and the kid won't want to stick with it. I'm thinking $300 is a good price point for quality that won't break the parents' bank. But I'm not familiar with what's out there in that range that's good. Musician's Friend and Sweetwater seem to review the various Fenders and Epis in that range well, but if anyone here has some suggestions that they like, I'm all ears.

• Members

I assume that you play - if so you should go to every guitar store available and play everything you can with hang tags up to $500. This is a negotiating market - you might be able to get a price break. If you don't play, at least get someone who does (and preferably the style this lucky kid likes) to go with you.

The reason for you to play them is not only to judge the sound but also the playabilty. I have heard too many cases of people buying a guitar from one of the big internet stores, only to have problems when they get it. At least if you are negotiating face to face you can have it set up properly for the young player.

• Members

Well, if you want my opinion, I don't think you can get a good quality acoustic-electric for $300. You can get some amazingly good quality acoustics for that money, though. The Yamaha FG730S is right at $300 and the FG700 is $200 (slightly less flashy looking, but perfectly acceptable). My advice would be to get a good quality acoustic and then later, if he sticks with it, put a pickup in it. I mean, c'mon, man. Why the hell would a 12 or 13 yr. old who doesn't even know how to play the guitar yet NEED an acoustic-electric guitar, anyway. So he can perform in front of thousands of his admiring fans??? :confused::rolleyes:

• Members

Well, if you want my opinion, I don't think you can get a good quality acoustic-electric for $300. . . . My advice would be to get a good quality acoustic and then later, if he sticks with it, put a pickup in it. . . .

^ Seconded. In fact, if you're knowledgeable or know someone who is, start out with a decent used acoustic.

• Members

Everyone's idea of "good" is different. I recommended the APX500 because Yamahas are known for quality, even at the lower end. My 12 string is an APX700. The only difference is the 700 has mahogany sides and back, and the 500 is Nato. Both have solid spruce tops and decent electronics and a tuner. The APX500 sellls for $299.00 everywhere, and if the kid doesn't stick with it, or wants to upgrade, it should be easy to sell.[video=youtube;z2VPYObcHRQ]

• Members

Well, if you want my opinion, I don't think you can get a good quality acoustic-electric for $300. You can get some amazingly good quality acoustics for that money, though. The Yamaha FG730S is right at $300 and the FG700 is $200 (slightly less flashy looking, but perfectly acceptable). My advice would be to get a good quality acoustic and then later, if he sticks with it, put a pickup in it. I mean, c'mon, man. Why the hell would a 12 or 13 yr. old who doesn't even know how to play the guitar yet NEED an acoustic-
electric
guitar, anyway. So he can perform in front of thousands of his admiring fans???
:confused::rolleyes:

Thirded. The first guitar should be more about fit rather than tone anyway IMO. +1 on Yamaha though. They're probably the best bang for the buck in that price range, electronics or not.

• Members

My vote goes to a Yammie. Supreme quality for modest bucks.

Nothing wrong with a FG700S with an aftermarket pickup - keeping the price within your budget if you look at add a Martin Thinline Gold or K&K Pure Western. Easy DIY install - about 45 minutes or so if you're not utterly brain dead and can follow simple instructions.

• Members

Listen to what Mike said about the Yamaha's.

See if you put a a pickup in yourself you can run into even more problems.

If you dont get a yamaha, Im going to let you in a little secret: CORT

I worked at a music store and people would come in all the time wanting to me to "fix" their undersaddle transducer because there would always be one string not as loud as the rest. By the time it was fixed it wasnt worth the cost of DIY. K&K are much easier to get a balanced sound but i tell you i have put that p/up in probably 25 - 30 guitars and i still would rather have a stock pickup with some onboard volume/eq because i change mine on the fly alot.

If your a folkie who is sitting and its a serious "artist" gig then maybe but those people also mic their guitar and think what I am saying is BS!! :) :)

• Members

I'm quite fascinated with these:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_514656.001_black_R.jpg

Fender Sonoran 329.99 at M.F. Played one locally, set up was good, decent but not exceptional acoustic sound. Plugged in, pretty decent piezo tone, better than average for this price point IMO.

Looks cool as hell.

But I like the looks of the Kingman better @ 399.99

DV019_Jpg_Regular_516798.064_3-tone_sunb

Also played A smaller bodied Malibu like this:

DV019_Jpg_Regular_516797.064_3_tone_snb_

Was pleasantly suprised at the quality of the acoustic sound and volume that came out of it.

The fancy one is the same price as the Kingman 399.99

But there is a plainer one for 249.99

DV019_Jpg_Regular_581094.010_natural_R.j

Archived