OT: Which Hand Do You Use to Type the Letter "B"?

seagullplayer77

• Members
Looks like the majority of people use their left hand, which is kind of what I'd figured; if that's the way Microsoft designed the keyboard, that's probably the correct way to do it.

In any case, I learned to type when I was in grade school, and I can't recall which hand I was taught to use to type the letter "B." Probably the left hand, since that's what everyone else was taught. Oh well. Wouldn't be the first thing I've forgotten since grade school.
:facepalm:

Yeah, Microsoft invented the keyboard shortly after they invented teh Interwebz :facepalm:
Our QWERTY keyboard was laid out that way, because it should deliberately slow typists down. Early mechanical typewriters were "overtyped" quite easily by typists. So they designed this to prevent overtyping. There are better layouts around, DVORAK for instance, but old habits die hard.

• Members

Yeah, Microsoft invented the keyboard shortly after they invented teh Interwebz
Our QWERTY keyboard was laid out that way, because it should deliberately slow typists down. Early mechanical typewriters were "overtyped" quite easily by typists. So they designed this to prevent overtyping. There are better layouts around, DVORAK for instance, but old habits die hard.

Not necessarily designed to slow down the typist but designed to keep up with the typist without jamming.

• Members

Left index finger, just like I was taught back in the 8th grade.

Short story. Toward the end of the 7th grade, as we were choosing our "electives" for the following year, a good friend of mine suggested that he and I choose "typing" as one of the subjects. I really didn't want to do it, thought it was dumb,but he talked me into it. Some of our buddies made fun of us. This was back in 1955 and "guys" just DIDN'T take typing!

When classes began the next fall, it didn't seem so dumb anymore after we found out that he and I were the only boys in the class......with ALL THOSE GIRLS!! One of the smartest things we ever did in school. These days, I'm really happy that I learned how to type properly. I hardly ever have to look down at the keyboard to type something.

At the same time......I HAVE run into several two-finger typists whose typing speed amazed me.

I did the same thing, taking "Typing" and also took "Office Machines" as fill in electives. In both classes I was the only guy. We started on manuals and then went to electrics after we learned to type correctly. I finished lower mid pack at 45wpm and am still there on a decent keyboard. This laptop is a different story.

I don't remember how fast the fastest typer was but her machine sounded like a machine gun.

• Members
Yeah, Microsoft invented the keyboard shortly after they invented teh Interwebz

I think he means that particular bent keyboard in the OP, not that they invented keyboards. ;)

• Members
I think he means that particular bent keyboard in the OP, not that they invented keyboards.
;)

Yes; I was referring to Microsoft's design for that specific ergonomic keyboard, not the general QWERTY layout. Come on guys - I'm not THAT dumb.

I'm familiar with Dvorak as well. I tried teaching myself a few years ago and kind of liked it, but I wasn't willing to spend the time learning an entirely different format.

Archived