Belated new guitar day - Guild GAD M20 content

Folky_Grunge

• Members

I got this lovely thing about two and a half weeks ago, and thought I'd give a review since you don't really see a lot about this particular guitar. It looks better in person, but here are some pics to give you an idea:

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0046.jpg

Yes, it's Chinese, but so what? So far I absolutely love it. The sound is very even across the strings, and the guitar is surprisingly loud for being so small. The bass is nice and thuddy, the trebles are sparkly, and the midrange is very sweet, which is great because this is a very mid-heavy guitar (I mean that the best way possible). The playability is also outstanding: the action is just about right, the string spacing is good, and the neck is very comfortable. Honestly, this is probably one of the nicest guitars that I've played so far.

The only real possible negative I've noticed so far is that there's less sustain than guitars with spruce tops usually have, but I've found the sustain adequate so far, and it hasn't bugged me. I've compared this M20 to a Martin 00-15 I've played in a local shop, and like the Guild a lot more.

A quick note about the Nick Drake connection with the Guild M20: I'm a massive fan of Nick's, but I didn't buy this guitar because of him. Some quick Googling reveals that he probably never owned for recorded with one, and I bought the guitar knowing that. I happened to really like the sound, and it's the only small bodied, short scale hog guitar on the market right now. Yes, it can get a good Nick Drake sound, and it's a guitar that's associated with him (which is cool), but that's kind of coincidental - this guitar stands on its own merits.

• Members

Beautiful! Congrats.

I came *that* close to buying an M20 a few years ago. Actually did buy it - paid for it, anyway... But then it turned out there was a problem with it (Elderly inspected it & gave me a call), so the deal never went down.

I have since come into possession of an all-hog guitar, though, and I've become a true believer in them. All mahogany is my absolute favorite combo.

Hope you enjoy your M20 for many, many years. :rawk:

goattower.jpg

• Members

What a beauty!! :love: :love: :love:

Congrats and Enjoy!!!!

I dearly love all-hog gits. As for sustain, I haven't really noticed a lack, but my GAD-25 is a dread. Perhaps in the body shape lies the difference? :idk:

I did, however notice that mine sounds much better with DR-Rare phos bronze 11-50 as opposed to my former faves, D'Addario phos bronze 12-53. Was very tempted to try 80/20 on it before hubby got me a set of DR. Now that I'm totally happy with the sound, I probably won't bother to try anything different.

• Members

That is a sweet looking little guitar. btw - where in Wa State are you (I'm in Wenatchee)

I'm in Spanaway, which is basically in the Tacoma area. Weirdly enough, nowhere around here sells Guilds (barring the occasional used one). I was seriously interested in one of these for a while, but didn't actually get to play one until a trip the London a little over a month ago, and when I decided to buy, I had to order a used one online.

I may decide to play around with this strings a little bit at some point, but I'm pretty happy with the sound as is.This M20 is definitely a keeper, every time I play it, it just feels right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Was waiting for a guitar setup at my favorite Mom and Pop (Grayson's in Montrose, CA) and started to fool around with the M20. WOW! Just fell in love. I've been looking for a used 000-28, but this guitar had the nut size 1 11/16 and short scale length I was looking for. The scalloped braces give it nice projection too.

Resistance was futile. Bought it and bonus it came with a really cool retro hard shell case.

Had it strung up with 80/20s and it is singing.

I decided to search the forum to see who else might have one. So congrats to you on the new guitar.

• Members

Re all-hog: I, too, own an all-hog Guild, albeit a GAD25, which is the chinese-made dread. Nice and boomy and with a lod of that hog warmth. If you are a sucker for hog sounds and want hog on steroids, look for a koa-topped or better all-koa guitar. That's hog on steroids, like.

But, hey, don't want to put a flea into your ear, so... HNGD! May you play it long in good health!

• Members

I tried one of the newer 120s, and wasn't really impressed with it. It was kinda like it had a 'loudness' button turned on. Good bass, good treble, but mids were aenemic. The GAD-20s are long gone on this side of the pond.

Anyways, congrats and enjoy!

Archived