Check this kid out!

Hoddy

• Members

He's got the git, the smile, the body english...

Actually, that's the 1st thing I thought.

Yeah, seems kind of obvious that he's been a pretty heavy influence on this kid. A young player could do much, much worse for influences, though.

Wish I had the kid's fingers. There is a part of me that sometimes looks at perfect "guitar hands" like that and wonders if there is some kind of accelerated physical evolution taking place. If I'd started playing as a kid rather than as a bloated adult, would I have longer fingers?

• Members

Noticed that, too. Perfect digits for shredding. All he has to do is think of a fret and he nails it. Tiny fingertips make for huge plots of real estate between fret wires. Mine are like rolling potatoes down a gang plank. I manage to pick out the right notes with my other hand. Feckers never have gotten the memo they need to collaborate.

Evoluted fingers. Could be a sign. Tater already calls me Oop.

• Members

Yeah, seems kind of obvious that he's been a pretty heavy influence on this kid.

Yeah, the Maton he's playing is a dead giveaway.

I'm still trying to play stuff by the Beatles. I don't think I'll ever catch up with all the guys I should be copying. :)

• Members

Wish I had the kid's fingers. There is a part of me that sometimes looks at perfect "guitar hands" like that and wonders if there is some kind of accelerated physical evolution taking place.

I had the exact same response. They really are perfect guitar-playing hands...sort of reminded me of Robert Johnson's from that one photo. Still, it made me happy to see he's making such good use of that gift.

I started playing as a young teen, but I never had great fingers (just my luck to be the first guitarist in my family tree). I've often wondered what it would be like to have mitts like those, and how it would have impacted my playing. Of course, it might have inspired me to study more, but all things being equal, I don't think I'd be all that much different a player than I am today.

• Members

I had the exact same response. They really are perfect guitar-playing hands...sort of reminded me of Robert Johnson's from that one photo. Still, it made me happy to see he's making such good use of that gift.

I started playing as a young teen, but I never had great fingers (just my luck to be the first guitarist in my family tree). I've often wondered what it would be like to have mitts like those, and how it would have impacted my playing. Of course, it might have inspired me to study more, but all things being equal, I don't think I'd be all that much different a player than I am today.

I started playing right after my 18th birthday and stopped altogether soon after turning 20. In that time I managed to reach a level of fingerpicking that let me play and sing simultaneously. That was a big step for me. I can't remember why I quit playing but the abstinence lasted 29 years. It's been 8 years since I started playing again with renewed spirit. I don't think I'm any better now than when I quit.

• Members

poppy, I should quit while I'm ahead (compliments and all) but Ma Nature did not grace me with her gifts. Thanks for the thought. No, that was 3-4 hours daily playing, 2-3 times that on weekends, and otherwise no life. Learning was my sole pursuit. It was like the core of me was absorbed with acoustic guitar playing and nothing else was as important. Why I stopped and never picked it up again remains a mystery to me. Maybe I reached the goal and then turned to something else. When I did pick it up again in 2004 it was like a sudden jogging of the memory when I happened into a guitar store in Louisville. Anyway, thanks. One thing I have not done since 2004 is nurture it but I direct whatever I have of that at my kids.

• Members

I started playing right after my 18th birthday and stopped altogether soon after turning 20. In that time I managed to reach a level of fingerpicking that let me play and sing simultaneously. That was a big step for me. I can't remember why I quit playing but the abstinence lasted 29 years. It's been 8 years since I started playing again with renewed spirit. I don't think I'm any better now than when I quit.

I started at 14 and played through for 23 years, but I took a 10-year break soon after my son was born. When he was a baby, I kept my Ovation Balladeer at the end of his changing table (there was a wall on the other side of it, but still...). One day he managed to kick it over with his little legs. I opened the case, and the headstock had cracked off. I was bummed, but at the same time, I figured: "One era ends, another begins." I had it repaired nonetheless; that guitar and I had been through too much together to leave it in such miserable shape.

At a friend's urging, I started playing/writing again 8 years ago, and haven't looked back. I'm really glad I did, too: I love my wife and kids, but there was a void that needed to be filled. My fingers are in sorry shape...they're now arthritic in addition to being stubby...but I still play pretty well, if I do say so myself.

I've been told arthritis levels off at some point--whatever damage has been done is permanent, however--and I'm thinking I may have hit the plateau. In any event, I plan to keep playing until I no longer can.

• Members

Yeah, I agree. I certainly don't blame my fingers for my lack of skill. They're decent fingers, as fingers go. I would like the extra reach longer fingers would give me, but I've learned to compensate well enough for that particular shortcoming. It's just that whenever I see a good player with hands like that, I sort of assume it can't be coincidental. Maybe there's a guitar gene... :idk:

• Members
poppy, I should quit while I'm ahead (compliments and all) but Ma Nature did not grace me with her gifts. Thanks for the thought. No, that was 3-4 hours daily playing, 2-3 times that on weekends, and otherwise no life. Learning was my sole pursuit. It was like the core of me was absorbed with acoustic guitar playing and nothing else was as important. Why I stopped and never picked it up again remains a mystery to me. Maybe I reached the goal and then turned to something else. When I did pick it up again in 2004 it was like a sudden jogging of the memory when I happened into a guitar store in Louisville. Anyway, thanks. One thing I have not done since 2004 is nurture it but I direct whatever I have of that at my kids.

If you played then as good as you do now with just two years under your belt, you're a natural.

Archived