Visit to a Sam Ashe

FretFiend.

• Members

I visited the Sam Ash store in Charlotte this weekend looking for a beater to take on trips. I was expecting the usual nightmares described so often here on the forums, but I was pleasantly surprised.

There was of course, the usual cacophony coming from the electric and amp section, but the acoustic room was a relatively quiet refuge from that. And it was a well stocked, well maintained acoustic room at that.

A wall of the cheapies, Fenders, Taks, Yammies, etc., available to all. But there was also a wall of the good stuff behind a counter. The guy at the counter was very knowledgeable, and was most accommodating. Ready to pull any guitar off the wall and let you fondle it to your heart's content. And get this. Every time he pulled a guitar off the wall, he whipped out a Snark and checked its tune it for ya! I'm impressed.

I sampled a couple of Gibsons, a J-45 and a Bird reissue. Anything bad I have said about Gibson guitars in the past, I take it back. Sweet guitars!

I played three Yamaha FG730S's on the wall. I couldn't tell them apart, and I bet no one else could either. No FG700S on the wall tho, so I asked the counter guy if they had any. He checked the computer and brought one out still sealed in the box. He opened it, tuned it, and handed it to me. Yep. It sounded just like the 730's. No surprise there. Bright, sparkly, some depth. Decent, but definitely no bass growl or punch like my D-28.

Oh. NGD. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=343406&d=133

• Members

Congrats, FF. Sam Ash does seem to run a little bit tighter ship than GC. You had me going there for a minute......You DO mean FG730S and FG700S...right? Or, has Yamaha come out with a FG330S and FG300S and I just haven't heard about 'em? And, BTW, it'll sound a lot better with different strings. I really didn't care for the Yamaha strings that came on my FG730S. Tried several different strings until I settled on Martin MSP4100s.

goat3.jpg

• Members

I think you mean FG700
:thu:
Put some decent strings on it ...

Yes, it's a FG700S. Don't know why I always mix up those model numbers. DUH! :facepalm:

Believe it or not, the strings on it are pretty good. Yamaha FS50BT coated 80/20's. They were slack when the guitar came out of the box, and they tuned up nicely. I'm gonna give them a few days at least.

• Members

Yes, it's a FG700S. Don't know why I always mix up those model numbers. DUH!
:facepalm:

Believe it or not, the strings on it are pretty good. Yamaha FS50BT coated 80/20's. They were slack when the guitar came out of the box, and they tuned up nicely. I'm gonna give them a few days at least.

kambing.jpg

Happy NGD!

Is this your first Yammy?

• Members

I had an old FG3-something for a few years. It was a decent yammie lammie. The action kept getting higher and higher, and it became hard to play. My brother in law fell in love with it, high action and all, so I gave it to him. I've always respected Yamaha guitars for what they were.

• Members

Sam Ash
does
seem to run a little bit tighter ship than GC.

The Sam Ash on the north side of Indy is a good shop too, though I've not been there in a few years. Got my Martie and Washburn electric there.

-A

• Members

I played three Yamaha FG730S's on the wall. I couldn't tell them apart, and I bet no one else could either. No FG700S on the wall tho, so I asked the counter guy if they had any. He checked the computer and brought one out still sealed in the box. He opened it, tuned it, and handed it to me. Yep. It sounded just like the 730's. No surprise there. Bright, sparkly, some depth. Decent, but definitely no bass growl or punch like my D-28.

Am I the only one that hears a difference between the 730 and the 700?

Happy NGD.

• Members

Am I the only one that hears a difference between the 730 and the 700?

Happy NGD.

No.....I hear a difference too. Not a whole bunch, but some. But, the main reason I bought my 730 instead of the 700 or 720 was because I wanted the tobacco burst model and I also got a special price-match deal at the time that included a free hardshell Yamaha case with it. Couldn't turn it down and I don't regret it for a minute. One of the best guitars, regardless of price, that I've ever owned. I got the 730, the hardshell case and two sets of D'Addario EXP strings for $313 and a few odd cents.

• Members

I like a less brighter tone in a guitar. It's the main reason I don't care for Taylor guitars. The Taylors all sound too bright to me.......the ones I can afford, anyway.

On the day I decided to buy the 730 I played several 700s and several 730s. It could've been the different wood in the sides and back or it could've been a difference in the age of the strings, but the 730s just seemed to have the more mellow sound I was looking for and the 700s sounded brighter than I cared for.

However, as I said before, the main reason I wanted the 730s was due to the tobacco burst finish and I also liked the color of the rosewood sides and back better. Not to mention the fact that the 730S also came with a free hardshell case. That's worth a couple bucks too. It certainly wasn't for the extra bling, FF.....I'm not a fan of bling on guitars. At the present time, my only other guitar is a Martin DM and you sure can't accuse that of having any bling at all on it.

The FG730S was simply the better deal. That case alone would've added another $60 to the price of the FG700S. I'm glad I went with the 730. And, if I ever had to sell it, which I have no intention of ever doing, I think I could sell the 730 quicker than a 700......and lose less money doing it, too.

Having said all that, I also think the FG700S is a helluva deal these days. But, I also think they sound better with strings other than the Yamaha strings that come on them. I've heard mixed reviews on the strings, though. I know some people like 'em. In my case, I didn't even like the sound of D'Addario EXPs on mine. I'm using Martin MSP4100s on mine and I like those. To each his own, I guess.

• Members

What do you think makes them sound different to you?

I hear the usual things people find different between a guitar with mahogany back and sides to one with rosewood. But since they are both laminate ... people think I am crazy ... well they think I am a little off anyway. I prefer the sound of the 730.

I assume the bracing is the same.

Bob.

• Members

I like a less brighter tone in a guitar. On the day I decided to buy the 730 I played several 700s and several 730s. It could've been the different wood in the sides and back or it could've been a difference in the age of the strings, but the 730s just seemed to have the more mellow sound I was looking for and the 700s sounded brighter than I cared for.

Okay I would say I hear the opposite. The 730 is brighter and the 700 has that mahogany mellowness.

• Members

Okay I would say I hear the opposite. The 730 is brighter and the 700 has that mahogany mellowness.

Well.....there ya go. Different ears hear different sounds, I guess. But, if that's the case, how come a D-18 is considered to be more of a lead guitar than the D-28 in a bluegrass band situation? I've heard that said more than once.

Archived