Four Dead In Ohio - Kent State - May 4th 1970

g6120

• Members
All I can say, ma homies, is that I lost my religion several decades ago, and it's all for the better. Political righteousness is an atavistic masquerade for religion, IMO. And furthermore, IMO, we'd all do well to lose our respective religions. Who gives a {censored} what chauvinistic tendentious sectarian {censored} you subscribe to. Shut the {censored} up and make music, I always say.

Guitars. Sex. The I, the IV, and the {censored}ing V. Friendship, pure and true. Good liquor, moderately indulged-in of course. The love of friends and family and beloved animals. The absence of malice. The benefit of the doubt. The worship of goddesses, as well as demigoddesses.

These are the things of a good life. Yes?

Yep!
But you forgot Motorcycles and naps, I love a good nap.:cool:
and big ass pork chops.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All I can say, ma homies, is that I lost my religion several decades ago, and it's all for the better. Political righteousness is an atavistic masquerade for religion, IMO. And furthermore, IMO, we'd all do well to lose our respective religions. Who gives a {censored} what chauvinistic tendentious sectarian {censored} you subscribe to. Shut the {censored} up and make music, I always say.

Guitars. Sex. The I, the IV, and the {censored}ing V. Friendship, pure and true. Good liquor, moderately indulged-in of course. The love of friends and family and beloved animals. The absence of malice. The benefit of the doubt. The worship of goddesses, as well as demigoddesses.

These are the things of a good life. Yes?

YES!

• Members
Okay. What are the redeeming qualities of my internet persona that might be missed?

I can't talk about the acoustic guitar anymore. I just can't. I know what I need to know. I'm a player and come here to hear players. The VOM is a monthly highlight, though I prefer to listen than contribute. So, there's the technical stuff I have no interest in and then there's the off-topic stuff you mention, in your own words, that give a
little
insight into personalities here. Going a bit further, you mention if a person vamooses because of perceived inappropriate threads then this obviously wasn't the place for them. You sticking to that thought? Seriously? It's okay to alienate people who should be alienated, then, to support the forum status quo. That's great, pt. You don't mind, though, if I don't agree with you?

I came here a few years ago. There was a lot of cutting up but there was this invisible line we didn't cross. The level of respect seemed a bit higher to me, anyway. Could be I have a bad memory, but it is a good memory so I'm not going to mess with it. We also had moderation. Derivicus was his moniker and he took it on the chin to do his job. He was the last true moderator this forum has seen. That's good, though, because now it's everything (evidently) you would like it to be and remain. You don't mind, though, that I don't agree with you?

Ever read Lord Of The Flies?

Reported. :cop:

• Members

I don't want to alienate any one, just saying that if this place is not their cup of tea, there's other places to go and I wish them good luck. As far as moderation or lack thereof, on this forum, as in life, everyone has to make their own choices, be their own moderator. If you don't like a thread, don't continue reading it.

• Members
Okay. That's good, though, because now it's everything (evidently) you would like it to be and remain. You don't mind, though, that I don't agree with you?

I liked it better when you, TAH and the rest were posting here on a regular basis.

• Members
It should have been obvious to Gil this topic would be divisive and probably not the best forum for it but I have to say one thing I like about this forum is we are left alone to act like adults...hate to see that change!

What motivates G2601 to post crap like that is a mystery. Either he has delusions of being an intellectual giant, or he is blinded by his political biases, or both.

It really doesn't matter. His voice is just one in the sea of left wing fanaticism present here. Woe to the poor slob who objects to this crap, and gets labeled a right wing Republican.

Yes. We are left alone here, but acting like adults??? :facepalm:

• Members
What motivates G2601 to post crap like that is a mystery. Either he has delusions of being an intellectual giant, or he is blinded by his political biases, or both.

It really doesn't matter. His voice is just one in the sea of left wing fanaticism present here. Woe to the poor slob who objects to this crap, and gets labeled a right wing Republican.

Yes. We are left alone here, but acting like adults???
:facepalm:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But your choice of words and tone of your post make the last four words seem very ironic.

• Members

You are a minion of the forum as it remains now. If that's the person you are, then defend it with what you've got. If not, get some nads. jamesp can and has scrapped with the best and worst playing his fair against perceived foul. This time he made a bid to seek mediation and has been called on it by the minions here. Which reaction is the most honorable, if that trait is even sought here?

Excellent youtube video that really sums up this thread at it's current state.

I

• Members
Everybody who thinks this OP was a "political" post should report it. I just did.

I can't see that passing as a "music" post on any other guitar forum. Stuff like this flies here only because we try to be chill. Would HCAF buy the line that "Hey, they were playing amps!" Or the Recording forums let it slide b/c it was recorded?
:rolleyes:

Fatback established that intended or not, the OP is political in nature. So why hasn't it been moved to HCPP? I have to assume that it's still here because no one reports it.

So, nothing personal Gil, but I'm reporting this kind of post from here on out. It's easy enough for me to ignore, but it bugs me that we lose good guitar-playing people over this kind of crap. It's just not worth it.

:cop:

No what I tried to establish is that most things have political content and that we should just be honest about it. Not that it should be bannished.

Phil

• Members

Pitar, this site isn't going to deteriorate into another Myspace because of a few political posts. It's for guitar players, that's who comes here, that's who are drawn here, that's whose opinions you read here. There is always going to be opinions(posts) that you don't like. No reason to throw the baby out with the bath water, scroll down 'til you find something you do like. I've learned so much on this site and don't mind sifting through a little bull{censored} to get to it.I have no interest in gangs or cliques, but I do want this site to continue and grow. I want it to be a place to learn about guitars, a place to share a love of music and a place to have a little fun. It won't get there by more moderation, by running to the teacher every time someone throws a spitball. It 'll take tolerance, a willingness to share. Iam committed to this site and the people who share it, if that makes me a minion, so be it.

• Members
No need to report anything, if you don't like the content of a particular thread, move on to one that you do. The freedom to fudge a little off topic now and then is one of the things that makes this place great. If someone moves on because of threads they didn't think were appropriate, then this obviously wasn't the place for them and I wish them good luck, but I don't think we should censor ourselves out of fear of alienating people. I don't want to see this place turned into another soulless, boring git site where price , brand and anything else that veers the slightest bit off the prescribed course of guitar righteousness is forbidden. Here, you can not only learn about guitars, but also a little about the people who play them.

:thu:

Phil

• Members
linguini

fettucine

zucchini

martini

bikini

Man, that product looks like a pain in the ass!

Seems like a great idea, by why in the HELL would they make it so small? Looks like a fantastic tool if you're trying to make a thimble of salad. But can you imagine trying to prep a stew with that {censored}ing thing?

200971020583416367.jpg

• Members

{censored} it.

I'm about as psycho-lefty as they come, and I have no objection whatsoever to posting political [MUSICAL] material. But I find this thread {censored}ing annoying. Why? Because intent matters to me.

I don't see any particular political statement here. I also don't see any particular human statement. All I see is a creepy self-aggrandizing jagoff cleverly making himself the center of attention, perfectly at ease with turning the forum into a {censored}slinging fest in order to do so. And it is hardly the first time.

:)

• Members
material. But I find this thread {censored}ing annoying. Why? Because intent matters to me.

I don't see any particular political statement here. I also don't see any particular human statement. All I see is a creepy self-aggrandizing jagoff cleverly making himself the center of attention, perfectly at ease with turning the forum into a {censored}slinging fest in order to do so. And it is hardly the first time.

You are out of character. This post is actually relevant.

• Members
I don't think I was saying that you were Phil. And I certainly wasn't calling for a personal ban if that's what you're talking about.

I'm just trying to find a way to keep from losing good contributors. I think of reporting as a considerate alternative to arguing the point itself here, or meta-arguing about whether a post is political or not. If a thread gets moved to HCPP, then I'll gladly add my worthless two cents there.

But it's just an idea, I don't really expect it to work. FWIW, two years ago I was making Poppy's case. I just see things differently now.

No I know you weren't calling for a personal ban - I think I was refering to the idea of politics (or any other subject )other than acoustic music (or related) being banished from here.

But your point is well made. Political discussion can be a little bit too hot if we are not careful. What is only of academic interest to some might be emotionally relevent to others (I'm using the idea of emotion here as a good thing) If the political subject is one that we can all take a disinterested position on - then I can't see a problem with discussing it here. If on the other hand it is 'hot' then perhaps here is not the best place to aire it. Difficult call though.

Perhaps a compromise would be in order - let the song speak for themselves - if its a good protest song then we will not need it to be explained. If we feel the need to post explanations with them then perhaps HCPP is the place for it to be done. Gil is now posting in HCPP - (Which I frequent) But I think it would be a pity if he stopped posting his more politically interesting songs here as well. But sans the contextualisation.

To those who don't go to PP very often I would like to add that the political discussion carried out both here and in the other thread was far more reasonable and thought out than sometimes happens on HCPP. But it works the other way too. If you want to see peace love and understanding - have a look at some HCPP OT threads - there's more love between the participants than is sometimes apparent.

Phil

• Members
That's a fake! Someone took a Rick, modified it a bit and now they're trying to pass it off as a Rimini.
:cop:

Well, whatever it is I want one very, very, very badly. Maybe I'll find one in Rome.

I actually have an Italian guitar that is very weird and very cool, if you like retro: A Goya Rangemaster. Complete with fake woodgrain pickguard and PUs you can split with pushbutton controls.

Now THAT's a spicey meat-a ball-a!

goyarangemasterredup.jpg

Archived