&*^%$%$#@*!!!

Chordchunker

• Members

{censored}.. The nut that holds the input jack on my epi es-175 (archtop) came off and the damn input jack has fallen into the guitar. The f-holes prevent me being able to stick my hand into the guitar so my dilemma is obvious.

Any ideas on how I can re-attach it? A big-ass pair of hemostats?

• Members

I like Ed's idea. A refrigerator magnet won't do the trick, but a strong magnet (think: neodymium) should be able to grab onto the jack through the wood. Then, you can move it back to where it's supposed to go. FF's idea isn't bad either - and if you can't get one of those grabbers at the store, a bent coat hanger or piece of wire might be able to snag the jack as well.

• Members

I`m a bit leary of a magnet because I don`t want to scratch the finish. If I`m real careful it will probably be OK. I live way out in the woods so I will more than likely have to wait until wed when the HW store opens back up. The coat hanger idea might work though and I will try that right now.. Thanks ya`ll!

• Members

Hey chordchunker, go onto youtube and search out wiring an electric guitar with f-holes. You'll find several videos of such. This will give you some good ideas. You will be surprised. I completely rewired my 335 clone using some of the vids on youtube. I'll look and see what I can find and edit something back into this post.

EDIT:

Watch this vid: There are tons of them, but this one demonstrates the string tricks pretty well. I realize this does not address your specific problem, I'm just trying to give you an idea or two. I personally would use a guitar string with a hook bent in it that I could reach into the guitar and grab the jack. Pull it through he f-hole and once you get your hand on it. guide a string with a washer tied to it through the jack and use the string trick here to pull the string through the output jack hole. Once you get it you can tension it right into place, then let the string drop into the guitar. You can then grab the string with your hooked guitar string and pull it out. voila' fixed!

i7TdqS09psU

good luck dude!

• Members

{censored}.. The nut that holds the input jack on my epi es-175 (archtop) came off and the damn input jack has fallen into the guitar. The f-holes prevent me being able to stick my hand into the guitar so my dilemma is obvious.

Any ideas on how I can re-attach it? A big-ass pair of hemostats?

Straighten a coat-hanger, thread one end through the hole, and the other end though the jack...bend one end of hanger into a knot, pull the jack into place, tighten it up, carefully remove coat-hanger, and you're done!

• Members

Straighten a coat-hanger, thread one end through the hole, and the other end though the jack...bend one end of hanger into a knot, pull the jack into place, tighten it up, carefully remove coat-hanger, and you're done!

Not sure how that will work as the jack has fallen into the body making it difficult to thread or even see. There is nothing to push against, plus even when the jack is in place very little of it sticks through the hole. I guess I`m not visualizing what you mean.

EDIT: Thinking about it for a sec I think I know what you mean. i`ll give it a try after I`ve slept..;)

• Members

Run some heavy ga wire thru the jack hole up to the F hole. Tape a male guitar cord plug onto it. Fish the jack up to the F hole, and plug in the male end.

Draw the whole shebang back thru the jack hole.

Or look at a TVJones vid on how to rewire a 6120. He uses plastic tubing. He sells em in a wiring upgrade kit along with his pickups. Good idea.

• Members

Get a holesaw and drill/saw a hole in the back. No biggie.

NO! Not.

I would suggest the bent wire/grabber/telescopic magnet trick. And get yerself a good and strong LED penlight. It easily enlightens the innards when hold against (or mina actually fits into the "end" of) the f-hole.

• Members

This will work. Pull the jack assembly throughthe F hole and stick the coat hanger or stiff wire through the jack hole and up through the F hole to mate them. Keep in mind there's probably a lock washer inside the body on the jack. You'll need to shake it out through the F hole and reinstall it before threading the wire through the jack. Be careful not to break any of the solder connections on the jack. It's not hard, just tedious.

• Members

I did mine with a long skinny screw driver.

• Members

I don`t have any wire coat hangers and walmart is a 50 mile drive.

I stuck a long screwdriver in through the whole, put the input on that, let it slide down through the whole, put the nut over a 1/4 cable, plugged in the cable to hold it in place while I screwed in the nut.

It was only a cuss factor of maybe 2 or 3 ;)

• Members

I stuck a long screwdriver in through the whole, put the input on that, let it slide down through the whole, put the nut over a 1/4 cable, plugged in the cable to hold it in place while I screwed in the nut.

It was only a cuss factor of maybe 2 or 3
;)

My cuss factor is pretty high right now as the hole is very snug. I tried tying a string around it, but the jack-hole is so tight it wouldn`t go..Maybe if I put some hair around it it would work better..;) I think I`m going to have to hold out for some bailing wire/coat hanger.

Archived