inexpensive 12 string?

slodge

• Members

Looking for an inexpensive 12 string. The ones I've had previously were cheap and played like it.

Don't need elctronics - it'll be pretty much exclusively for living rooms and campfires.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to hit a few stores next week and want to know what to look for.

• Members

Might consider a Yamaha. They're about the only "under $1K" 12-string that has a decent track record (there are other brands where some examples occasionally hold up, but these're are the exceptions, not the rule).

Generally, a cheap 12-string is a disposable guitar, unless you're VERY lucky and/or baby it....12 strings put a lot of wear and torque on the instrument and most just don't last very long.

I'd look for a used Guild D212 or F212 (mahogany b/s)...you can still find these for around $500, if you look hard enough. A Taylor 355 or 450 might be found for $700, if you're lucky.

Avoid any Gibson or Martin around that price point, as it'll likely need a lot of work (neck reset, bridge glued back down, that sort of thing).

No idea how long the AD60 Ellen posted about will hold together...like Alvarez, as a rule, but I've never seen an old Alvarez 12er that was playable still.

OTOH, if you start saving after you buy an inexpensive 12-string, by the time it wears out, you can get a good one (that's what I finally did).

• Members

Martin makes a nice one around $599 new...nice guitar....maybe you could find one used.

I owned a 70's Penco 12 string...spent a $150 having it set up correctly, but really liked its tone. A pretty well built guitar and you may find one under $200 used. ( I placed a U-tube up )

I also owned a Crater D8 which was a very nice 12 string. I found one on Ebay...nice guitar for the money...paid about $300 for it.

Yamaha's are always a good choice...they can be found under $500. Used are the way to go here....most bang for your buck.

• Members

If you're not put off by some synthetic materials, check out a Martin D12X1. They're modestly priced and absolute tone monsters.

I have one and I love it. People constantly comment on its tone and can't believe it's a relatively inexpensive git. You can find 'em used for around $500 and sometimes less. Price usually includes a hardshell case.

Yes, you'll hear people knock 'em because of the HPL back and sides, Stratabond neck and Micarta fretboard & bridge, but they're super tough. The top is solid spruce.

I take mine everywhere and I don't baby it at all. It has no dings except in the spruce top. I also installed a passive pickup in mine (K&K Pure Western) and it sounds great plugged in too.

Just my .02

• Members

No idea how long the AD60 Ellen posted about will hold together...like Alvarez, as a rule, but I've never seen an old Alvarez 12er that was playable still.

You know Terry, now that you mention it, I was actually thinking of a different Alvarez 12er, a jumbo that appears to be discontinued: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-aj60s12-artist-series-jumbo-12-string-acoustic-guitar

Just listen to Terry, kiowa1. :D

• Members

I've done some preliminary poking around, and the Yamaha and Alvarez both look like options.

I'm a little leery of the Epiphone - I'm not looking to spend a lot, but I've had 2 cheap 12 strings in the past and both sat unplayed. One was a piece of junk (A Carlos.) The other is decent (A Hofner, which was cheap because it was used and cosmetically banged-up. I'm amazed at how it stays in tune.) But the neck is like a 2x4.

• Members

A couple of possibilities from the New Jersey CraigsList:

Martin DM12 $999 with hard case
. Probably a nice guitar but overpriced. It was $1100 new with case. Offer maybe $800.

Seagull A/E $425 with hard case

Only commenting because I've had some experience with the Martin DM12. I bought mine for $550 at Guitar Center. That seems to be the ebay price on these. $999 is pure fantasy. Very nice guitars though. I'd rate it above every other guitar that's been mentioned in this thread.

• Members

Only commenting because I've had some experience with the Martin DM12. I bought mine for $550 at Guitar Center. That seems to be the ebay price on these. $999 is pure fantasy. Very nice guitars though. I'd rate it above every other guitar that's been mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for the input. The DM12 is discontinued and it took some doing to find one to check the new price. I found one for $1099. I'd normally offer maybe 70% of new, which would be around $770. Either way though, yeah, $999 is dreamland. Doesn't matter if it was the last year they made them in the USA, which is what the seller claims.

• Members

Looking for an inexpensive 12 string. The ones I've had previously were cheap and played like it.

Don't need elctronics - it'll be pretty much exclusively for living rooms and campfires.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to hit a few stores next week and want to know what to look for.

Not quit sure what your definition of "cheap" and "inexpensive" are, but I think "decent" starts at around $500 and goes up. The Seagull has impressed a lot of people in that range

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/130386/Impressed-by-a-cheapo

as well as the D12X1 and some Yamaha's that I'm not very familiar with. Next step up are the lower priced Taylors (355), Guilds (particulalry the new F-1512, J12-15 Martin, etc but you are getting over a grand in price.

The thing to remember about 12 strings is that the way you plan to string, tune and play them really affects the choice. A big dread is fine for tuning to concert and strumming, but many of us who play 12's like to tune down, a dread becomes way too boomy at D. Slightly smaller bodies seem to work a little better.

In addition, depending on strings and tunings you will have about 50% more tension on the top (not twice as many people think) - the construction of neck joint, bridge and bracing need to be beefed up to withstand that. Many really inexpensive 12's don't take this into consideration and the result is problems down the line - something to look at if you are shopping for used ones.

Archived