My New Seagull vs. My New Taylor

honeyiscool

• Members

I don't usually post here, and I usually don't play an acoustic, but I got two new ones recently, so I thought I'd make a video showing how they sound different.

[video=youtube;bYGhZPMueD4]

0:00 - Seagull Entourage Rustic CW QIT ($499)

2:13 - Taylor 316CE LTD 2012 Spring Koa Grand Symphony ($2299 incl hard case)

Enjoy! :)

• Members

I hear ya. I think the thing I like most about the Taylor is how even all the strings are, and how balanced the strings are with the body. What I'm saying is that no string overwhelms any other, and the body never becomes too overwhelming either. And due to the Grand Symphony body, the lows are quite there. The Seagull sounds more alive, for better or worse, more dynamics, more mids, it does mean that some sounds are overwhelmingly loud on it. It's more what I think an acoustic traditionally sounds like. Some of that is probably due to the dreadnought body shape but I would think even a Taylor dreadnought would sound like a Taylor. I prefer the Taylor slightly here, but on some things, I'd prefer the Seagull.

The thing is I had a single mic pointed at the 20th fret or so for both guitars (b/c I think 12th fret makes guitars sound too similar), and the Taylor still has that much clarity and the volume stays more consistent, and even without EQ, it could sit easily in a busy mix. From that perspective, the Taylor is a marvel, because it's a huge time saver, but the Seagull is a great guitar, too (although I think I'd record that closer to 16th fret). The shorter scale is easier to play (I prefer my electrics in 24" or 24.75" scale), it's a nice mellow sound, and the fact that you can address its advantages vs. a $2k+ Taylor is a huge sell for the Seagull. Even if they were priced the same, some people would pick the Seagull, I think.

• Members
Having said that, the Seagull is nice enough - I wouldn't balk at having one.

Yeah, I'm really liking mine. I think the best thing I can say about the Seagull is that I really like the guitar, but that it makes me like my Taylor even more, since they're such different guitars and they do different things well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Both guitars sound awesome. The Taylor does have more pronounced mids and a bit better sustain but I don't know if it's $1800 worth of better. I personally like the Seagull better because it's more balanced across the scale, lows, mids and highs are more even and of course the price is more to my liking as well. Either way I think you win, you've got a couple really nice guitars there. Thanks for sharing the vid, you really should post up more vids, you play pretty well and I liked hearing it. :thu:

• Members

I thought that both guitars had a pleasing sound yet their own signature.

What really stood out for me was how much I enjoyed your playing - both times over my crappy laptop speakers and I listen to a lot of music these days, way more than I can find time to play !

Do u have more clips somewhere?

• Members

Nice. I have an Entourage Rustic (no cutaway), and the tone is great. Not quite the same as a good solid wood guitar, but as far as laminates go, it's up there. I still play it quite often, despite having other guitars with better materials. It's a very unique sound.

EDIT - I might do a recording with my Seagull and a couple others.

Archived