New beater day. Applause AA35 12 string.

OldGuitarPlayer

• Members

Look what I just picked up. :D

My very first 12 string ever. It's an Applause AA35 12 string in almost mint condition. There is not even a ding on it anywhere. It holds tune well and the neck angle is good. No issues with the bridge lifting either. It's got a nice rosewood fretboard. She's a little neck heavy though. For a plastic roundback beater it sounds and plays pretty good. I have it tuned down a 1/2 step.

I don't have a camera but here is a pic from the shop's website.

Applause%20AA35%2012%20string.jpg

• Members

That's a well worn area rug. I played a 6-string shallow bowl last Friday night. No projection or remarkable sound but otherwise a decent player. It didn't have the little rubber patch that Ovation used to put on the waist to prevent slipping so...it slipped and kept slipping off my leg. The 73 model I bought new had the patch and it worked real well.

There was a guy who posted a picture of his Ovation here a little while back showing the neck shifted away from its longitudinal axis causing the string courses to be closer to the edge of the fretboard on one side than the other. How's yours look?

• Members

Look what I just picked up.
:D

My very first 12 string ever.

Congrats on the 12-string !!!

Warning: It can be very addictive once you get comfortable with it. And, a lot more tunes lend themselves to adaptation on a twelve than some people might think.

Enjoy .... ;)

Paul

• Members

That's a well worn area rug. I played a 6-string shallow bowl last Friday night. No projection or remarkable sound but otherwise a decent player. It didn't have the little rubber patch that Ovation used to put on the waist to prevent slipping so...it slipped and kept slipping off my leg. The 73 model I bought new had the patch and it worked real well.

There was a guy who posted a picture of his Ovation here a little while back showing the neck shifted away from its longitudinal axis causing the string courses to be closer to the edge of the fretboard on one side than the other. How's yours look?

This guitar is made in Korea and really heavy. It seems to be heavily braced too. The tone is on the bright side and it projects well enough in a two guitar jam that me and my buddy did last night. I am going to bring it to our weekly acoustic jam at the local Tavern and see how it plays against 5-6 guitars. It's really why I bought it. I wanted something inexpensive and durable enough to bring busking, camping or jamming at the pub. I also want to experiment with different string combinations and may try it as a 10 or 8 string guitar too. My Epiphone AJ-18SCE while not expensive has finicky electronics and is my main guitar and I cannot do gigs without it so I don't like to expose it to the elements too often.

• Members

Congrats on the 12-string !!!

Warning:
It can be very addictive once you get comfortable with it.
And, a lot more tunes lend themselves to adaptation on a twelve than some people might think.

Enjoy ....
;)

Paul

So far I agree it is addictive. I really like the swirling chorus/flanger effect it has when strummed. I have it tuned down a 1/2 step since my old fingers can't handle the stress but I can capo up to play in standard tuning if I need to. Single notes really stand out nicely too.

• Members

Nice find, OGP. I've never played one of those. I really don't think I'd have a problem with the body style of an Ovation. It's that headstock I can't get past. I've owned three 12-strings, but sold the last one in '82. All this 12-string talk is making me think about getting another one now.

• Members

So far I agree it is addictive. I really like the swirling chorus/flanger effect it has when strummed. I have it tuned down a 1/2 step since my old fingers can't handle the stress but I can capo up to play in standard tuning if I need to. Single notes really stand out nicely too.

I always keep mine tuned to D and capo most of the time. Back in the 60's, when I got my first 12-string, that was a Pete Seeger suggestion. I understand today's guitars are better braced and don't need to be tuned down, but old habits die hard, and I need the D for one of my "signature" tunes since my voice deepened.

• Members

Having learned on and played 12 exclusively for the 1st couple years I'm not in a hurry to find a reason to go out and get one again. I did get a Ric 330-12 to satisfy some Byrds vibes I had for a short spell but that's gone now and not scheduled to return before the morphine drip. It's a poor man's twelve, but a six through effects can fool a fool well enough.

• Members

Having learned on and played 12 exclusively for the 1st couple years I'm not in a hurry to find a reason to go out and get one again. I did get a Ric 330-12 to satisfy some Byrds vibes I had for a short spell but that's gone now and not scheduled to return before the morphine drip. It's a poor man's twelve, but a six through effects can fool a fool well enough.

If I were plugged in I'd be tempted, but I always mic my guitars; I'll keep at the hard way. :lol:

• Members

If I were plugged in I'd be tempted, but I always mic my guitars; I'll keep at the hard way.
:lol:

Better way to go, too. I know it's kinda uncool not to stand behind a vocal mic (stand and deliver, etc) but I just can't do that. I get real antsy. I have to walk to the music and I don't do cords well, either. I've tangled too many of them and prefer not to use them. I'm a mess. So, it's a headset vocal mic and guitar onboards for me through the wireless two channel. I play unplugged at home and I walk throughout the house, including doorways, while playing. I also play plugged this way. BTW, I don't own a cell phone or any kind of personal electronics so before you label me a child of the techno revolution think again.

• Members

I have a friend who owns an Ovation 12 string. It is, I believe a Celebrity series, but I can't remember the model number right off. It sounds really good plugged up. Like most O's, I don't personally care for the sound of it unplugged. I have never played an Applause. All that said, congratulations on your new guitar.

My only 12 string was an Alvarez that I owned back in the day. It was a pretty low end model. It started to belly in so I de-tuned it a half step and capo'd. Eventually, I gave it away to a friend.

• Members

I always keep mine tuned to D and capo most of the time. Back in the 60's, when I got my first 12-string, that was a Pete Seeger suggestion. I understand today's guitars are
better braced and don't need to be tuned down
, but old habits die hard, and I need the D for one of my "signature" tunes since my voice deepened.

Well my Applause/Ovation is a fine example of being heavy braced. In fact it's simply a heavy guitar but I couldn't imagine it being made lightweight simply because I think it would implode from the stress of 12 strings pulling on the top. I also tune down a 1/2 step to also take some of the stress off the bridge and to hopefully save it from lifting. I have also known 12 string players who tune down a whole step and I have also known ones to play in standard tuning. Having tried it both in standard and down a 1/2 step I like it tuned down.

I would like to experiment one day try it without the octave strings on the wound 6 5 4 3 strings and just have the two treble strings doubled up.

Archived