OT: Brutally Honest look at Crosby Stills & Nash

g6120

• Members

True second hand story. An acquaintance was mixing a Veronique Samson show in the late 70's. During soundcheck an obviously inebriated Stills staggered toward the board, let loose an incomprehensible vowel movement, and left. Later, at the start of the show, Veronique comes out onstage, shakily acknowledges the applause, teeters to the piano bench, and sits. After a moment of quiet reflection, she slowly lowers her head to the keyboard, and plays the first chord with her forehead. Curtain descends, show over.

• Members

The Stephen Stills show I saw a year or so ago was astonishingly bad.

(that's my brutally honest assessment.)

I saw CSN this past summer and Stills was by far the weakest vocally. Crosby and Nash were incredible (at 70!). They did Guinevere together (no Stills), and a single acoustic guitar (no backup) and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen live (gave me goose bumps). And previous to that concert I never cared for that song too much. Stills on the other hand has difficulty talking nevermind singing. He did sound okay in the harmonies, but he was probably lowered a bit in the mix.

• Members

True second hand story. An acquaintance was mixing a Veronique Samson show in the late 70's. During soundcheck an obviously inebriated Stills staggered toward the board, let loose an incomprehensible vowel movement, and left. Later, at the start of the show, Veronique comes out onstage, shakily acknowledges the applause, teeters to the piano bench, and sits. After a moment of quiet reflection, she slowly lowers her head to the keyboard, and plays the first chord with her forehead. Curtain descends, show over.

I managed to see the Stills-Young Band before Neil took a powder (as usual); it was rather embarrasing at times. Stills was staggering as he went to the piano to do a rambling piano-based version of For What Its Worth. It was still a great show, though.

• Members

I have to agree with Pitar...it's over for them. Whenever they come in concert in recent years near me I skip it. Last show I saw was CSN&Y in 2006 documented in the Deja Vu movie. That concert had it's high moments. One of them was a completely magical rendition of Crosby's song Deja Vu. Stills earned a standing ovation that night for his piano song Old Man Trouble. Young was leading the band through all the new songs.

I saw Buffalo Springfield in October 2010 and again in June 2011 on their small 6 show tour. Stills is a great guitarist but he can no longer sing.

BTW one of my favorite Stills albums of all time is the first Manassas album he did with Chris Hillman and an incredible band. Here's a live cut from that album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Music and CSN are inseperable for me. A huge influence as well as a product of the times. "It was the best of times, the worst of times" may best describe the bands struggle.

I'll watch and listen to this band even after they are gone....love the music.

• Members

Not at all. Separate tour busses, etc. It shows, too. What normally might have allowed for some rehearsal time to tighten up the shows while traveling together is lost now. I think the charm of their relationship is long gone and making money is all that's left. I'm sure there's still the desire to entertain their fans but not as a cohesive band. Now it's as separate egos on the same stage together tolerating each other for the length of the set list.

Nash and Crosby are no longer tight?

• Members

Just read Young's new book. He speaks very highly of Stills, although he acknowledges they had issues in the past. If this were the only book I had ever read by one of these guys, I would take away that Young and Stills were pretty tight and that Young got along with everyone else as well. I know better. Mr. Young is a bit self centered (which he admits) when it comes to music and other musicians. With David's horrible addictions, Neil's self centeredness, and Stills just being Stills, it is a miracle these guys made as much great music as they did. Nash must have felt like the social director on the Titanic.

• Members

I was able to see CSN a couple months back from third row center.

oazzhz.jpg

As was stated above, CN were excellent, as was S on guitar. But goddamn, he simply isn't able to sing very well. Stephen is one of my favorite guitarists/songwriters, and no matter what he sounds like now, cannot diminish his immense body of work.

It was a wonderful experience, to see a group of legends. But I doubt I'll go again.

• Members

I was able to see CSN a couple months back from third row center.

oazzhz.jpg

As was stated above, CN were excellent, as was S on guitar. But goddamn, he simply isn't able to sing very well. Stephen is one of my favorite guitarists/songwriters, and no matter what he sounds like now, cannot diminish his immense body of work.

It was a wonderful experience, to see a group of legends. But I doubt I'll go again.

Nice pic! Was the magenta coloring part of the light show ... or some kind of filter on your camera?

Archived