Don't laugh...anyone have a CARLOS acoustic?

centuryhouse

• Members

I dunno. Doesn't seem like it would give a troll much satsfaction.

If it's not a troll, there certainly a lot of these guitars turning up. I guess it's no surprise. As a cheap Pac-Rim import there's probably thousands in closets and in basements. After 30-40 years it's time Johnny's old guitar goes to the yard sale.

Yeah, and they just all decided to join at around the same time and resurrect a thread about Carlos guitars. I figure the chances of that happening are around 1 in 1,345,765,936,009,645,389,177,390,762.1,

but yet, here they are. Ah, the whacky world of alcohol and drugs, huh! :lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Don't laugh - not an expensive or reputable brand. As a matter of fact there are NO CARLOS guitars on ebay OR listed at Harmony Central in the reivew database - not one.

Now bear in mind I have owned nearly 150 guitars (maybe more) in the last 15 years, including many Gibsons, Taylor, Ibanez, Washburn, etc. I know my guitars pretty well. That said, I bought a CARLOS II model 240K acoustic 6 string at lunch today from a pawnshop for $50.

It's Korean made, probably late 70s I'm guessing. It has what appears to be *original* brass nut, brass bridge/saddle and instead of pearloid dot inlays it has actual brass studs inlayed. Despite needing some serious work on the action and a truss rod adjustment, and the strings being ancient, the guitar actually had a good sound and feel. I'll be working on it tonight when I get off work and then can give a real assesment. But initially, I think it's going to be a great guitar.

A web search revealed that several recording studios have CARLOS acoustics on hand for recording, but other than that I found nothing online. Can anyone tell me anything? If you have one how old is it, and does it suck? Is it just oK? Is is good?

Thanks,

Daniel

I bought a Carlos 12 string dread from a pal for $75. It's not a bad sounding guitar but the nut really, really needs to be replaced, since the string spacing is wack, per my thinking. The individual strings of the pairs are way too far apart and the sets of pairs too close together. As a consequence, fretting accruately is difficult. Makes a decent 12 string slide, though. Finger picking accurately is a bit of a pain because of the string spacing (better than the fretting though, as the bridge spacing is ok.) Tone is really pretty OK.

• Members
I dunno. Doesn't seem like it would give a troll much satsfaction.

If it's not a troll, there certainly a lot of these guitars turning up. I guess it's no surprise. As a cheap Pac-Rim import there's probably thousands in closets and in basements. After 30-40 years it's time Johnny's old guitar goes to the yard sale.

People get a guitar from an unfamiliar maker and Google for info on it. The first article up (just now) in Google is a Wikipedia article, then two mentions from vintaxe.com and then there's Harmony Central at return 4...

• Members

People get a guitar from an unfamiliar maker and Google for info on it. The first article up (just now) in Google is a Wikipedia article, then two mentions from vintaxe.com and then there's Harmony Central at return 4...

I guess that might explain it too :idk:.

But I like my theory better ;).

• Members

Hey - this caught my eye too - I'll have to dig up a photo of my old Carlos acoustic. I got one around 1988 from B&B Music in Delaware, if I recall correctly. It was a spruce top, single cutaway. I ended up putting a Barcus-Berry dot pickup in it. I had to drill out the end pin hole to accomodate the jack. It sounded pretty good but as I recall the top was getting pretty bowed up before I ebay'd it in the early 90's. It was a nice looking guitar too.

• Members

Hey - this caught my eye too - I'll have to dig up a photo of my old Carlos acoustic. I got one around 1988 from B&B Music in Delaware, if I recall correctly. It was a spruce top, single cutaway. I ended up putting a Barcus-Berry dot pickup in it. I had to drill out the end pin hole to accomodate the jack. It sounded pretty good but as I recall the top was getting pretty bowed up before
I ebay'd it in the early 90's
. It was a nice looking guitar too.

Ebay started in 1995.

• Members

I've had a Carlos all my life. I'm 29 and my father had it in the house since before I was born. It's an e240 acoustic electric. He had never plugged it into an amp before about 10 years ago when I tested it and the pickup still worked. Unfortunately the tuning and volume knobs were broken and the wiring inside only caused it to rattle. I recently stripped it out and filled the knob holes with wood paste. Anyone know if these are solid tops or what? Apologies if that was answered already.

• Members

To the Ebay historian - okay, what ever maybe it was the mid - late 90's. Geez. Guess I'm lying about that too.
:rolleyes:

Nothing personal meant, dude. I was just trying to add something interesting to this thread. It needs it. :wave:

• Members

At one time (early to mid-70s?), Carlos was the budget line for Kaman (Takamine/Ovation/etc.), before the Jasmine line came out...some were pretty low-dollar plywood wonders, but some were actually pretty decent Pacific-rimmers. A music store I worked at, back in high-school, sold a lot of 'em and most of the ones we carried were Martin knock-offs.

• Members

Nothing personal meant, dude. I was just trying to add something interesting to this thread. It needs it.
:wave:

No worries - I just can't figure out why all the Kennedy-assassination-esque conspiracy theories abound vis a vis this thread, other than the fact that some single-post-count troll bait posters have posted here. Maybe somebody is trying to inflate the Carlos stock price before they dump, cut and run...:p

Speaking of Ebay and back in the day - God, I miss the times when ebay didn't sucketh the ass. It used to be a good market place for used musical gear, but it's just a Buy-It-Now overpriced Ebay Power Seller hell now.

• Members

No worries - I just can't figure out why all the Kennedy-assassination-esque conspiracy theories abound vis a vis this thread, other than the fact that some single-post-count troll bait posters have posted here. Maybe somebody is trying to inflate the Carlos stock price before they dump, cut and run...
:p

Speaking of Ebay and back in the day - God, I miss the times when ebay didn't sucketh the ass. It used to be a good market place for used musical gear, but it's just a Buy-It-Now overpriced Ebay Power Seller hell now.

I hear ya! Ebay used to be a fun thing. Now you have to watch your ass! :cry: But it is really strange that all these first-time posters have Carlos guitars, and all of them love them, and all of them...... :freak: