Zager guitars?

TCBronson

• Members

Knockwood, Have you ever played a Zager?

I would ask that question of all the naysayers here? Have you ever played a Zager?

If you haven't what is your opinion worth?

I have. As I said previously, it was OK; not great but OK. It was not worth the price IMHO, but if I had one and liked it, I wouldn't obsess over the price. I certainly would not begrudge anyone buying one - what do I care? And if a friend had one and we had the chance to play, it would not be an issue. So, if you are ever in the neighborhood, give me a hollar and we can share some tunes, you on your Zager and me on my Yammie Lammie. :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still love my ZAD 80, been playing the hell out of it since I got it. It has inspired me to come up with some new stuff that I have been recording on my Tascam. Now if I could only sing as good as my guitar sounds!

I will still say in general, don't knock it until you try it. If you can get past the hype and the so called deceptive advertising claims, and play one, then you might see it is a pretty darn nice guitar with alot of sound. Again, still my opinion based on my experience.

• Members

Yes, I've played a Zager. That question has already been addressed in this thread.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, though. We're not talking about the quality of the guitars themselves, for the moment. You asked - and answered, albeit inaccurately - questions about the comparative warranties offered by Martin/Taylor/Yamaha. They all offer limited lifetime warranties. All I can find on Zager's site, by contrast, is a
return
guarantee, which is absolutely not the same thing as a warranty. There is a return guarantee with virtually
any
purchase of
any
guitar.

Can you explain why you feel that "String Science" is in any way different from a setup?

Sorry, but they don't all offer lifetime warranties.

From the Martin Website. They offer a warranty but don't say how long that I could find but it is a "limited" warranty and only to the original owner.

As you glance through these pages, and then audition our guitars at your favorite dealer, notice the attention to detail, and the wide selection of Martin models, features and materials. Know too, that every instrument is supported by our player-applauded original owner limited warranty and authorized worldwide services.

Zager tells you right up front of the lifetime warranty.

• Members

Sorry, but they don't all offer lifetime warranties.

From the Martin Website. They offer a warranty but don't say how long that I could find but it is a "limited" warranty and only to the original owner.

As you glance through these pages, and then audition our guitars at your favorite dealer, notice the attention to detail, and the wide selection of Martin models, features and materials. Know too, that every instrument is supported by our player-applauded original owner limited warranty and authorized worldwide services.

Zager tells you right up front of the lifetime warranty.

I can't tell whether you are lying or simply illiterate. The "limited" part has in part to do with the detail about the warranty applying to the original owner. This detail applies to just about any guitar warranty you will find. Another "limiting" feature is the lifetime of the original owner.

Yes, Martin, Taylor and Yamaha all offer limited lifetime warranties. I don't own a guitar made by any one of them, so nothing to gain in bull{censored}ting on the subject. I read all of their website warranty segments yesterday. Clearly you have not read them.

Zager, by contrast, specifies nothing about any kind of warranty - at least, nothing I can find on their website. If you're finding something on their site indicating that they offer a lifetime warranty with no limits, please give us a link to it. What they offer, as I have pointed out before, is simply a 100% return guarantee. This is not the same thing as a warranty that insures against faulty workmanship, etc.

Edit: I did find a Zager reference to a Lifetime Warranty. However, note that the link is in miniscule print at the very bottom of the features list when you click on one of the specific models. This is very far from "right up front." There are also ZERO specific details offered regarding their warranty. So... Kudos to them for offering a lifetime warranty, but the suggestion that it is somehow better than the typical guitar warranty is based entirely on your fantasies.

• Members

I can't tell whether you are lying or simply illiterate. The "limited" part has in part to do with the detail about the warranty applying to the original owner. This detail applies to just about any guitar warranty you will find. Another "limiting" feature is the lifetime of the original owner.

Yes, Martin, Taylor and Yamaha all offer limited lifetime warranties. I don't own a guitar made by any one of them, so nothing to gain in bull{censored}ting on the subject. I read all of their website warranty segments yesterday. Clearly you have not read them.

Zager, by contrast, specifies nothing about any kind of warranty - at least, nothing I can find on their website. If you're finding something on their site indicating that they offer a lifetime warranty with no limits, please give us a link to it. What they offer, as I have pointed out before, is simply a 100% return guarantee. This is not the same thing as a warranty that insures against faulty workmanship, etc.

Edit: I did find a Zager reference to a Lifetime Warranty. However, note that the link is in miniscule print at the very bottom of the features list when you click on one of the specific models. This is very far from "right up front." There are also ZERO specific details offered regarding their warranty. So... Kudos to them for offering a lifetime warranty, but the suggestion that it is somehow better than the typical guitar warranty is based entirely on your fantasies.

No where did I see the word "lifetime" at their website. It took forever to find what I did find. Do you think they are trying to hide that information?

Here's Zager's info: http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?event=public.store.guitars.faq#ans-07

Do your guitars come with a warranty?

Our warranty is simple. Lifetime on all guitars. A quality instrument should last a lifetime and if it doesn't it wasn't a quality instrument to begin with.

Wasn't hard to find

I know the part you won't like is the "quality instrument" part. If you look at their website there are a lot of people who really like his guitars so I guess they're all wrong too and the magazine reviews must be wrong too.

• Members

No where did I see the word "lifetime" at their website. It took forever to find what I did find. Do you think they are trying to hide that information?

Here's Zager's info:

Do your guitars come with a warranty?

Our warranty is simple. Lifetime on all guitars. A quality instrument should last a lifetime and if it doesn't it wasn't a quality instrument to begin with.

So "Right Up Front" in your language means scrolling down to the middle of the FAQ page? Noted.

Sorry you're having trouble reading. One more time: Martin, Taylor and Yamaha all offer a warranty for the lifetime of the original owner. They also all offer very specific information about what their warranties cover. Small print, yes, but at least the specifics are there if anyone cares to read them. Zager offers no such specifics.

• Members

WOW, both Zager threads have lot's have passion. We all believe strongly and are passionate about guitars and music, that's great. I'd hate to see what would happen if we started a thread on politics? Anybody want to vote for Ross Perot?

We absolutely do not discuss politics on this forum. :cop:

P.S. - This is serious.

• Members

WOW, both Zager threads have lot's have passion. We all believe strongly and are passionate about guitars and music, that's great. I'd hate to see what would happen if we started a thread on politics? Anybody want to vote for Ross Perot?

I miss Ross Perot and his pie charts.

He was like a cartoon character. :lol:

Is he still alive?

• Members

No.

• Members
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

I don't work for Zager! I was hoping for honest opinions based on first hand experience. And for whatever reason, some people have their minds made up and have their opinions without the first hand experience of actually playing a Zager ZAD 80 and comparing it to any other guitar. I have and I like my choice, so be happy for me and let's play some music!

TC, I hope you are still enjoying your ZAD-80. I purchase one of the last ZAD-80CE's. Sadly Mr. Zager has decided to enjoy "retirement" and prefers to do studio recording at this point in time.

Anyway, before I start I want to state that I am in no way related to nor do I work for Zager guitars. Also, this is not the lower priced Sigma you neysayers love to talk about. It is the top of the line Zager Guitar with Zager's name and reputation on it. What I am though is a very happy owner of a ZAD-80CE. TCBronson, Like you said they are beautiful guitars. In addition they are intonated very well (using a VS-1 Peterson strobe tuner with 1/10 of 1 % accuracy). Unlike most guitars on the market today where some chords sound perfect while others do not, the ZAD-80CE's chords all ring out beautifully, Heavenly in fact. My other guitars (Gibson ES-137C, Gretsch Tennesee Rose among others) had to use the Peterson's GTR tuning which somewhat compensated for the inacuracies inherent in a guitar.

Also, what I like is the fact there is virtually no string binding in the nut. This is due not only to a well cut nut (which other good guitars exibit also) but a also due to the string being wound onto the tuner post above the hole. This allows for very little downward force as the string comes off the post at a higher level. In addition the string saddle is hand cut (compensated) for this to allow almost perfect intonation when using Martin Marquis Phosphor bronze .010-.047's or the Darco Phosphor Bronze .010-.047 which came on the guitar.

Now for the .010's extra light Martin strings the X bracing under the solid Cedar top is scalloped to allow better projection with these extra lights.

The result is a clear full piano like tone (for lack of better words).

The Fishman Clear Wave 50 EQ/tuner produces a quiet and excellent amplified tone that with the 4 controls (Bass, Mid, Treble, Brilliance) allow a typical woody acoustic tone or bump the mids up and it sounds like my Ibanez AG-86 with Dimarzio Classic PAF's.

The tuner is for fine tuning and is pretty precicise.

The Cedar top's grain pattern is perfectly matched.

Before some of you accuse me of using Zager's words. I can assure you I am using my own words.

In fact, when I received the guitar I went out to two different music stores and played several Martin, Gibson, Breedlove, Seagull, and Takamine guitars.

I am in no way saying this guitar is better than a top dollar ($2000-$3000) guitar. What I am say is that for the $895 I paid it is as good or better than all but the higher priced Martin, Gibson, and Taylor. It beat out some models while others (Martin and Gibson Emylou) were a little better in the low end tone (slightly not signicantly). Also, this guitar stays in tune far longer than any other I have owned and that is using and removing a capo too.

Say what you want but unless you actually own one or have played one you are just parroting others opinion which in many cases they have not seen one much less played one.

I was sceptical just like many of you but having owned mine and trying hard to find falt with it because I would actually like to own a Martin or Gibson I am coming up empty in that department.

• Members

TC, I hope you are still enjoying your ZAD-80. I purchase one of the last ZAD-80CE's. Sadly Mr. Zager has decided to enjoy "retirement" and prefers to do studio recording at this point in time.

Anyway, before I start I want to state that I am in no way related to nor do I work for Zager guitars. Also, this is not the lower priced Sigma you neysayers love to talk about. It is the top of the line Zager Guitar with Zager's name and reputation on it. What I am though is a very happy owner of a ZAD-80CE. TCBronson, Like you said they are beautiful guitars. In addition they are intonated very well (using a VS-1 Peterson strobe tuner with 1/10 of 1 % accuracy). Unlike most guitars on the market today where some chords sound perfect while others do not, the ZAD-80CE's chords all ring out beautifully, Heavenly in fact. My other guitars (Gibson ES-137C, Gretsch Tennesee Rose among others) had to use the Peterson's GTR tuning which somewhat compensated for the inacuracies inherent in a guitar.

Also, what I like is the fact there is virtually no string binding in the nut. This is due not only to a well cut nut (which other good guitars exibit also) but a also due to the string being wound onto the tuner post above the hole. This allows for very little downward force as the string comes off the post at a higher level. In addition the string saddle is hand cut (compensated) for this to allow almost perfect intonation when using Martin Marquis Phosphor bronze .010-.047's or the Darco Phosphor Bronze .010-.047 which came on the guitar.

Now for the .010's extra light Martin strings the X bracing under the solid Cedar top is scalloped to allow better projection with these extra lights.

The result is a clear full piano like tone (for lack of better words).

The Fishman Clear Wave 50 EQ/tuner produces a quiet and excellent amplified tone that with the 4 controls (Bass, Mid, Treble, Brilliance) allow a typical woody acoustic tone or bump the mids up and it sounds like my Ibanez AG-86 with Dimarzio Classic PAF's.

The tuner is for fine tuning and is pretty precicise.

The Cedar top's grain pattern is perfectly matched.

Before some of you accuse me of using Zager's words. I can assure you I am using my own words.

In fact, when I received the guitar I went out to two different music stores and played several Martin, Gibson, Breedlove, Seagull, and Takamine guitars.

I am in no way saying this guitar is better than a top dollar ($2000-$3000) guitar. What I am say is that for the $895 I paid it is as good or better than all but the higher priced Martin, Gibson, and Taylor. It beat out some models while others (Martin and Gibson Emylou) were a little better in the low end tone (slightly not signicantly). Also, this guitar stays in tune far longer than any other I have owned and that is using and removing a capo too.

Say what you want but unless you actually own one or have played one you are just parroting others opinion which in many cases they have not seen one much less played one.

I was sceptical just like many of you but having owned mine and trying hard to find falt with it because I would actually like to own a Martin or Gibson I am coming up empty in that department.

Why are Zager owners so defensive?

It makes them look suspicious.

Archived